Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Horror/Killer Movie Discussion Thread
01-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Rec was good, although they were some cheap scares in there. The ending had its good and its bad, but the good was kick-ass. Apparently the American remake, Quarantine, sucked, so avoid that one.

I don't watch too many horror films, but I heard that contemporary French horror is the place to go if you want to be seriously disturbed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Rec was good, although they were some cheap scares in there. The ending had its good and its bad, but the good was kick-ass. Apparently the American remake, Quarantine, sucked, so avoid that one.

I don't watch too many horror films, but I heard that contemporary French horror is the place to go if you want to be seriously disturbed.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it was disturbing really but it was a good film. French...Them. Worth watching.
01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Warlord Wrote:Can't believe you cocksuckers left out the original Evil Dead. Hang your heads in shame. All of you.

I prefer Universal's classic monster flicks from the 30's - 50's. All those films had a soul to them. You wouldn't have vampire movies today if not for Bela Lugosi's timeless performance as Dracula.

As for the 60's, no one did it better than Hammer Horror with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

All you depraved clits need to take a breather and catch up on some classic cinema, posting all manner of nonsense in here with your depraved, desensitized asses.
Well....no doubt if you are talking best ever or HOF type horror films Evil Dead and Hammer stuff would have for sure been busted out by me...I just thought we were discussing recent stuff.

Actually one of my all time favorites is a little known gem by one of Hammer's lesser known compititors....cannot recall the company at the moment....but it has Cushing in it....it's called "The Creeping Flesh".....that shit freaked me out as a child and it took me forever to find it on first video and then dvd....a really nice version finally came out on dvd a few years ago, it's still a little hard to get hold of though.

BUT...if you can do so....the atmosphere in those Hammer and other English films of that time period cannot be beat....and some of the sets were incredible.

BUT...since you are a fan of the older stuff, do you stop there or go even futhur back?

Metropolis, Cabinant of Dr. Caligari, The Golem...etc...

I've got all of those on dvd too.

My favorite silent B/W is John Barrymore take on Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde.....

It's the ONLY version that made Hyde out to be a spider/human hybrid. Any other time you see him as a primate/human hybrid or a beastly guy with too much testosterone.....but Barrymore's disgusting spider version of him is horrible. That high forehead, those long fingernails and that hump on his back....he is one nasty bastard!
01-29-2012, 10:53 PM
BGv4.0 Wrote:
Warlord Wrote:Can't believe you cocksuckers left out the original Evil Dead. Hang your heads in shame. All of you.

I prefer Universal's classic monster flicks from the 30's - 50's. All those films had a soul to them. You wouldn't have vampire movies today if not for Bela Lugosi's timeless performance as Dracula.

As for the 60's, no one did it better than Hammer Horror with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

All you depraved clits need to take a breather and catch up on some classic cinema, posting all manner of nonsense in here with your depraved, desensitized asses.
Well....no doubt if you are talking best ever or HOF type horror films Evil Dead and Hammer stuff would have for sure been busted out by me...I just thought we were discussing recent stuff.

Actually one of my all time favorites is a little known gem by one of Hammer's lesser known compititors....cannot recall the company at the moment....but it has Cushing in it....it's called "The Creeping Flesh".....that shit freaked me out as a child and it took me forever to find it on first video and then dvd....a really nice version finally came out on dvd a few years ago, it's still a little hard to get hold of though.

BUT...if you can do so....the atmosphere in those Hammer and other English films of that time period cannot be beat....and some of the sets were incredible.

BUT...since you are a fan of the older stuff, do you stop there or go even futhur back?

It's the ONLY version that made Hyde out to be a spider/human hybrid. Any other time you see him as a primate/human hybrid or a beastly guy with too much testosterone.....but Barrymore's disgusting spider version of him is horrible. That high forehead, those long fingernails and that hump on his back....he is one nasty bastard!
Sorry for the late reply, buddy. I typed a long one out last night but it didn't go through for some reason, so I got discouraged and left.

To rehash:

1.) I think the competitor to Hammer you're referring to is Amicus. I know Peter Cushing did several films for them.

2.) Yes I do have an interest in silent films, mostly Lon Chaney (Who was originally in the running to play Dracula in the Tod Browning/Bela Lugosi 1932 version.) My first silent film was Nosferatu on AMC or TMC, don't remember which one.

I did catch the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, but it was a choppy version I downloaded on the internet. Legally, as most of those old German silents are in the public domain. Even still, I hate watching movies on the internet, and only did so in this case because I was stuck in China with no access to the film in any other way.

3.) Metropolis. I've never watched this film, because I'd heard so many stories about how it got butchered before its U.S. release, and that the excised film was lost forever, except for a mythical print lost somewhere in Buenos Aires. In addition, people were unsure as to what speed the film was original intended to run at. In short, it was a mess, and I didn't want to see it until it came as close as possible to Fritz Lang's vision.

Fast forward to 2011, said mythical print was found, and the film has been restored, minus a few inconsequential scenes. I ordered it on Blu-Ray, and it is waiting for me as soon as I come back to the States to visit my mom. (Next week.) So I'll let you know what I think after I've checked it out.

Later.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
01-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Warlord Wrote:
BGv4.0 Wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, buddy. I typed a long one out last night but it didn't go through for some reason, so I got discouraged and left.

To rehash:

1.) I think the competitor to Hammer you're referring to is Amicus. I know Peter Cushing did several films for them.

2.) Yes I do have an interest in silent films, mostly Lon Chaney (Who was originally in the running to play Dracula in the Tod Browning/Bela Lugosi 1932 version.) My first silent film was Nosferatu on AMC or TMC, don't remember which one.

I did catch the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, but it was a choppy version I downloaded on the internet. Legally, as most of those old German silents are in the public domain. Even still, I hate watching movies on the internet, and only did so in this case because I was stuck in China with no access to the film in any other way.

3.) Metropolis. I've never watched this film, because I'd heard so many stories about how it got butchered before its U.S. release, and that the excised film was lost forever, except for a mythical print lost somewhere in Buenos Aires. In addition, people were unsure as to what speed the film was original intended to run at. In short, it was a mess, and I didn't want to see it until it came as close as possible to Fritz Lang's vision.

Fast forward to 2011, said mythical print was found, and the film has been restored, minus a few inconsequential scenes. I ordered it on Blu-Ray, and it is waiting for me as soon as I come back to the States to visit my mom. (Next week.) So I'll let you know what I think after I've checked it out.

Later.
If I'm not mistaken that is the New Kino version....that had a small theatrical run last year and I missed it! I really want it on dvd, but it's a bit pricey for the time being.

Also try Vampyr by Carl Theodor Dreyer....that guy was amazing!

You know it's amazing some of the stories related to lost prints....I would love to know the journey some of them took.

Dreyer's 1927 "The Passion of Joan of Arc" had a situation that was very odd....the original burned up, and Dreyer thought it was the only print, but said he could easily put together another print with his outakes, so he did just that....and that too was lost to a fire....so for MANY, MANY years people talked about the film being one of the best ever filmed in B&W...but this was on information handed down by those that were lucky enough to have seen it decades before.....then flash forward to like 1990-something I believe....and they find an original print, of his original version in a storage can in a broom closet in a mental institution in Oslo Norway....lol

How does that even happen?

It's a worth a look as well if you have not seen it.
02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Just ordered the 1910 version of Frankenstein directed by none other than Thomas Edison! I've been wanting to see it for years!
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
BGv4.0 Wrote:Just ordered the 1910 version of Frankenstein directed by none other than Thomas Edison! I've been wanting to see it for years!
J. Searle Dawley Directed that version of Frankenstein, though it was made in Edison's studio.

Good pickup!

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Bela Lugosi is the reason I went on a string of Dracula representations on Halloween after Halloween from like Kindergarten to 4th grade.

02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
No particular order
Psycho
Alien
The Shining
Nosferatu (the vamp more than the movie)
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Freaks
The Ring (ndm most jap based/produced horror- like Ju-on (The Grudge), Dark water)
Buffy the Vampire (Series-hush episode)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Uk1KITymI
Halloween
Pan's Labyrinth (more fantasy than horror)
Friday the 13th
Let the right one in
American Werewolf in London
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Rosemary's Baby
Jaws
Paranormal Activity 3 (hated the 1st and camcorder films in general but this one was good)

as a kid I got spooked by the made for TV horror more than most movies
Race w the Devil
Legend of Boggy Creek
Trilogy of Terror
Salems Lot
Crowhaven Farm
GARGOYLES
Dont be Afraid of the Dark
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
The Mrs has gone and got the Last Exorcism to watch tonight. Read it's shit, has anybody seen it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Marvel and DC Movie thread JONdaCON 11 9,457 01-22-2016 03:18 AM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear
  The Roots: Undun Discussion Thread Byrd Man 1 2,089 12-03-2011 04:39 PM
Last Post: Avon_Barksdale_Returns
  Rush Discussion Thread Byrd Man 22 18,409 10-28-2011 06:04 PM
Last Post: Fitz

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)