Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Comparing fights.
10-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Comparing fights.
This was slightly touched on inthe other thread by Brutal's post so this got me thinking..

Whose victory over Hatton do yous regard higher between Mayweather & Pacquiao.

Mayweather gave Hatton his first career loss stopped him in a good performance.

Pacquiao demolished Hatton in little time in Hatton's ideal & natural weight of 140.

Both one of Mayweather & Pacquiao's best wins to date but gotta go with Pac's here. It's really hard to look past the fashion Pacquiao knock Hatton out COLD in 2 rounds only. Shocking KO & great win!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Comparing fights.
PBF got there first at a weight too high for Hatton which does detract from the win. Pac beat him like he ate his dog. No question in my mind which was the more impressive performance.

You could argue that Floyd could have gotten Hatton out of there quicker than he did but he didn't pure & simple.
10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Comparing fights.
Floyd

Hatton was at the height of his career and Floyd done to him what no other fighter was able to do. Floyd's was more significant but Manny's was way more impressive. Kind of pissed me off too because I payed all of that money for the fight, waited through those undercards, just started getting a buzz and then BOOM the shit was over!
10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Comparing fights.
Hatton was above his best weight class against Mayweather. He was still somewhat competitive at points in that fight, especially rounds 5 and 6. We've all seen the fight, we've all seen the GIF of the check hook and Hatton on the Rockstar logo. But Hatton got up.

Pacquiao ran him over in the first round, and then retired him for three and a half years in the second round... with one shot. The son of a bitch couldn't BREATHE after that shot from Pacquiao. He was cracking jokes in the postfight interview after Mayweather.

Pacquiao is more impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Jmo9MmAV-2Q
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Comparing fights.
I'd honestly rate them equally.

Mayweather stopped an undefeated, in his prime but outside his prime weight Hatton.

Pacquiao stopped a prime weight Hatton, but one that had already been stopped prior. Hatton's head probably wasn't in the game as much as it was pre-Mayweather as Hatton vanished from boxing after that loss.

While Pacquiao's was certainly more impressive, to me doing something that's been done prior (stopping a guy) loses a bit of its luster having not been the first to do it.
10-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Comparing fights.
I think Pac's victory was a lot more impressive. Hatton was competitive in rounds with Floyd, and it wasn't even in his natural weight class. Lets not forget, Louie Collazo had Hatton out on his feet at 147 in 2006. Collazo was a solid fighter, but not on the level of Floyd. Hatton clearly wasn't a 147 pounder and it showed. I'm not saying the fight is different at 140, but that victory is way overrated for Floyd. Sure, Hatton was in his prime, but he had only one significant fight at 147 before that. He pretty much lost that fight.

Pac, on the other hand, never let Hatton have one competitive moment. He demolished him from the opening bell, in Hatton's natural weight class. In fact, Pac was the smaller man in that fight. The fact that Hatton was the bigger guy was the only reason people thought he could win that fight. Hatton was never able to put pressure on Pac, as Pac's speed and timing was too much. That fight was brutal, and one of Pac's most impressive victories.
10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Comparing fights.
Mayweather dominated the better version of Hatton....that is obvious to me...remember how dumb Hatton was against Pacquiao?....the whole Hatton at 140/147 doesn't mean anything against the guys in question because he didn't deserve to share the ring with either of them.

Nothing but a "good" win for both...no special credit other than LOLs for how he got embarrassed.
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Comparing fights.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN Wrote:I think Pac's victory was a lot more impressive. Hatton was competitive in rounds with Floyd, and it wasn't even in his natural weight class. Lets not forget, Louie Collazo had Hatton out on his feet at 147 in 2006. Collazo was a solid fighter, but not on the level of Floyd. Hatton clearly wasn't a 147 pounder and it showed. I'm not saying the fight is different at 140, but that victory is way overrated for Floyd. Sure, Hatton was in his prime, but he had only one significant fight at 147 before that. He pretty much lost that fight.

Pac, on the other hand, never let Hatton have one competitive moment. He demolished him from the opening bell, in Hatton's natural weight class. In fact, Pac was the smaller man in that fight. The fact that Hatton was the bigger guy was the only reason people thought he could win that fight. Hatton was never able to put pressure on Pac, as Pac's speed and timing was too much. That fight was brutal, and one of Pac's most impressive victories.
Kyle, it doesn't bother you that Hatton was stopped prior to facing Pacquiao by Mayweather?

That for me takes a bit of luster out of that win.

No doubt Pac's win was impressive though in the way he beat Hatton.
10-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Comparing fights.
KingEugene Wrote:Floyd

Hatton was at the height of his career and Floyd done to him what no other fighter was able to do. Floyd's was more significant but Manny's was way more impressive. Kind of pissed me off too because I payed all of that money for the fight, waited through those undercards, just started getting a buzz and then BOOM the shit was over!
I disagree. Hatton vs Pacquiao was more significant. It was at 140 for the undisputed linear title as Hatton had never lost the linear title at 140 since beating Tszyu. You can't get more significant than that.
The significance of this fight was like Martinez vs Chavez, Hopkins vs Taylor etc. Undisputed/linear world title fight. You can't top that.

While Mayweather vs Hatton was a linear title fight as well, I think the Pacquiao-Hatton fight was better because both fought at there natural weights.
10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Comparing fights.
Fitz Wrote:
KingEugene Wrote:Floyd

I disagree. Hatton vs Pacquiao was more significant. It was at 140 for the undisputed linear title as Hatton had never lost the linear title at 140 since beating Tszyu. You can't get more significant than that.
The significance of this fight was like Martinez vs Chavez, Hopkins vs Taylor etc. Undisputed/linear world title fight. You can't top that.

While Mayweather vs Hatton was a linear title fight as well, I think the Pacquiao-Hatton fight was better because both fought at there natural weights.
Mayweather/Hatton was for the linear title and it was arguably for the P4P title. By the time Hatton fought Manny he wasn't considered to 5 P4P at least by me at the time.

I don't take the weight into factor because no matter how Hatton's previous performance at the weight was he had already fought there once and he agreed to the weight when clearly he didn't have to. Same reason why I dont take anything away from Ward's win over Dawson and Manny's win over Cotto.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)