WBA's new scoring system
10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
WBA's new scoring system
blackbelt2003 Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:
And point deductions and knockdowns are where it should end IMO. No extra points for being a better boxer, please. It would just make it impossible for punchers to win unless by KO, as obviously the fancy dan boxers are going to keep putting 10-8 rounds in the bag. The puncher would have to score at least six knockdowns to even it out, lol.

Black

lol why should it end there?

You get more credit for knocking a guy off his feet than just strait up owning him and beating that ass?

So one guy can strait up beat a dudes ass for 3 minutes, have him reeling all over the place hurt but never knock him down and he gets LESS credit than the following round where nothing happens except for a flash off balance knock down ruled against him? At the VERY LEAST equal credit should be given for those rounds.
But that's the beauty of the KNOCKDOWN.

It's the most dramatic moment in sports...and this system would take it away. A knockdown, whether a flash one or a genuine one, wins you a 10-8 round (even this is disputed, sometimes a judge will only call it 10-9 if it was a level round otherwise). That's the rules. I like it like that. Most people do.

Jeeeez, could you imagine how DULL some fights would be if fighters could win rounds 10-8 just by jabbing and moving and not taking a shot in response? By the half way point they'd be TWELVE points up. The Mexican brawler, who under previous rules could have come on strong in the second half of the fight and outworked his man to make it a razor thin classic now may as well give up.

We'd have a generation of Cory Spinks fighters who can play the system. This ain't amateur boxing.

Black
This system wouldn't take it away. A knockdown round would still yield a wider score than a non-knockdown round.

And you're going too far with a knockdown being "the most dramatic moment in sports" - IMO it's not even the most dramatic moment in a fight half the time.

There are so many flash knockdowns or a glove grazing the canvas that aren't dramatic. Not NEARLY as dramatic as having a guy out on his feet that's NOT called a knockdown.

Give me a dramatic round without a knockdown over an uneventful round with a flash knockdown any day of the week.
Yeah, but what about the non-boxer types? How the hell they ever gonna win a fight?

The thing is, a flashy boxer like Mayweather, Jones Jr or Judah will win a round with utter dominance, landing, avoiding, never getting hit. Every round they win would be 10-8.

Now take someone like Maidana, Froch, Margarito...elite level boxers who win by sheer workrate and guts. Under the current system they can hang with the flashy guys by being ballsy as fuck and staying on them. As the flashy guy slows down and tires, they pick up the rounds.

How the hell they gonna do that when they're 12 points down at midway point? They're not gonna dazzle the guy with skills, are they? They're gonna slog away and nick rounds.

Which basically means the Gatti's, the Froch's, the Glencoffe Johnson's etc are going to be shut out. They're never gonna win 10-8 rounds without a knockdown. And because of their styles, they're gonna lose a hell of a lot of 10-8 rounds as they get outboxed (not so much Johnson maybe).

So the generation of the exciting brawler would be out, the generation of the super slick boxer would be in. How much would that suck for boxing?

Black
They would win fights the same way they do now. All it would take is one punch to make a round a 10-8 dominant round for a brawler.

I boxer could win 2:55 of a round with his jab, dancing away and dominating but if 1 punch lands from a brawler that hurts the boxer IMO that would be a dominant round for the brawler as he was able to hurt his opponent while not getting hurt in the process.

As many times as you saw a 10-8 round from a pure boxer, you'd see a 10-8 round for a brawler.

And when you have a guy like a prime Jones Jr or Mayweather it doesn't matter if they win every round 10-9 or 10-8, they are going to essentially shut out their opponent every time so who cares if the score is 120-108, 120-80 or 120-30, whatever. A one sided fight is a one sided fight regardless of score and method used to score.

I think you're misunderstanding my use of a 10-8 rounds. Maybe I should change my wording from dominant to CLEAR. 10-9 rounds should only be used in extremely closely contested rounds where one guy still deserves to win it. 10-8 rounds for rounds with a CLEAR winner. Using that definition, your brawler type would still win all of his rounds 10-8 the same way the boxer would win his 10-8. It would be those rounds where the boxer decides to coast/run that if he were able to eek out the round he'd get 10-9, or if the brawler took his foot of the gas and barely eeked out the round he'd get a 10-9.

Overall I don't think there would be a significant difference in the scoring of fights using the current system or the one I'm speaking about. Where I think it would matter is in close fights or draw situations. A wide fight like a prime Mayweather/Jones Jr fight is going to result in wide score cards regardless.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
WBA's new scoring system
Don't really see where a 9.5 gets anything done....no matter if it's a 9 or a 9.5.....you still lost the round...so what if it makes the score closer...you still lost the round.

To me it only creates confusion....I'd not fuck with the 10 point Must system.

If anything....add rounds to championships to eliminate the tie.

I know the aversion for going back to 15 rounders...but why not try 13 rounds?
10-11-2012, 05:34 PM
WBA's new scoring system
I think they should look at the fight as a whole, take everything into consideration, and make a wise decision based on all their so called "experience".....

Can you imagine the surprises?

Fuck those old ass pocket judges...score the rounds right 10 point must system style and the best man wins.

It ain't that hard.
10-12-2012, 03:01 PM
WBA's new scoring system
SKULLSPLITTER Wrote:I think they should look at the fight as a whole, take everything into consideration, and make a wise decision based on all their so called "experience".....

Can you imagine the surprises?

Fuck those old ass pocket judges...score the rounds right 10 point must system style and the best man wins.

It ain't that hard.
I'd rather they add a round to eliminate draws.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
WBA's new scoring system
I'm a fan of adding a round to eliminate draws.

Or, tally up the cards QUICKLY and if the fight is a draw it continues for 3 more rounds - similar to OT in other sports.

I can assure you those fighters would give it their all if they fought OT rounds.
10-12-2012, 09:28 PM
WBA's new scoring system
And then ended up with a controversial decision even with the extra 3 rounds. lol lol lol
10-12-2012, 11:43 PM
WBA's new scoring system
The new WBA scoring system would not make it harder for any kind of boxer to win fights than the current one thats already used. It would just make margins closer & possibly prevent boxers from coasting.

I'm all for even 10-10 rounds & having championship fights have an odd amount of rounds weather that be 13 or 15 rounds.
10-13-2012, 12:01 AM
WBA's new scoring system
10-10 for close rounds. And no champion for drawn fight. This fuckin' crab mentality methodogy will force the champion to fuckin' fight for his crown.
10-13-2012, 02:08 AM
WBA's new scoring system
ViperSniper Wrote:The new WBA scoring system would not make it harder for any kind of boxer to win fights than the current one thats already used. It would just make margins closer & possibly prevent boxers from coasting.

I'm all for even 10-10 rounds & having championship fights have an odd amount of rounds weather that be 13 or 15 rounds.
Yes it would. blackbelt has already shown why. Maybe not for every fight, but it does leave that scenario for a certain fighter.
10-13-2012, 06:45 AM
WBA's new scoring system
Fitz Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:The new WBA scoring system would not make it harder for any kind of boxer to win fights than the current one thats already used. It would just make margins closer & possibly prevent boxers from coasting.

Yes it would. blackbelt has already shown why. Maybe not for every fight, but it does leave that scenario for a certain fighter.

By the same token a brawler, pressure fighter, high work rate fighter would still have the same oppotunity they do now to steal rounds (big or small) than the new WBA scoring system. 'boxers' would not be in any more favor in the new system. There will still be judges around who still look for aggression, high work rate, heavier or cleaner shots.

Only time is when it may favor a 'boxer' (..or any superior opponent) is if they are coasting & find themselves in a situation where they all of a sudden need to put thier foot down on the pedal. But that comes back to why this scoring system may work (which also comes down to good judging). It will not make the margins of the final scorecards wider, but closer & may prevent fighters from coasting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Open Scoring MrFactor 20 12,646 04-27-2013 03:37 AM
Last Post: and the NEW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)