Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Religion Unfiltered
01-01-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Religion Unfiltered
(12-31-2014 04:32 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  makes me think as someone that does believe in evolution, that it is entirely possible for our 'moral code' to be a set of standards that has evolved over thousands of years just as we have physically evolved as a species.

Yes, that's exactly the point.

With no God, our morals are just an evolved set of behavioural patterns that have been shaped since the beginning of time.

This leaves us, however, in a dire predicament. If 'right' and 'wrong' are merely evolved patterns of behaviour that allow homo sapiens to best thrive, then they are not objective moral truths (and by 'objective' I mean independent of people's opinions), but hard-wired traits that we either have no control over and/or we alter our behaviour for social reasons.

Why think that human beings - just one of millions of lifeforms that have randomly evolved on this planet - have moral worth?

I fail to see, as have many, many atheistic philosophers, how we can recognise objective truths without a God.

Again, this is not to suggest that you need belief in God to be a 'good' person - far from it. The history of all the world religions tell us that even with belief in God we act in diabolical ways, but without a God, whilst there can be behaviour that is pleasurable and 'good' for our species, allowing us to flourish, there is no objective 'right'.

I did a paper on morality the other month for my university degree - I'll try and post it up when I can for those interested. This is not to say that I am undeniably right and you must all bow before me - it just suits this thread perfectly and would love any feedback.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 04:00 PM
All I know is that I do my best to locate the side of any issue that Decagon supports, and then immediately run to the other side.

It's working so far.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2015, 04:11 PM
LOL
01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
(01-01-2015 03:25 PM)ROLLDEEP Wrote:  
(12-31-2014 04:32 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  makes me think as someone that does believe in evolution, that it is entirely possible for our 'moral code' to be a set of standards that has evolved over thousands of years just as we have physically evolved as a species.

Yes, that's exactly the point.

With no God, our morals are just an evolved set of behavioural patterns that have been shaped since the beginning of time.

This leaves us, however, in a dire predicament. If 'right' and 'wrong' are merely evolved patterns of behaviour that allow homo sapiens to best thrive, then they are not objective moral truths (and by 'objective' I mean independent of people's opinions), but hard-wired traits that we either have no control over and/or we alter our behaviour for social reasons.

Why think that human beings - just one of millions of lifeforms that have randomly evolved on this planet - have moral worth?

I fail to see, as have many, many atheistic philosophers, how we can recognise objective truths without a God.

Again, this is not to suggest that you need belief in God to be a 'good' person - far from it. The history of all the world religions tell us that even with belief in God we act in diabolical ways, but without a God, whilst there can be behaviour that is pleasurable and 'good' for our species, allowing us to flourish, there is no objective 'right'.

I did a paper on morality the other month for my university degree - I'll try and post it up when I can for those interested. This is not to say that I am undeniably right and you must all bow before me - it just suits this thread perfectly and would love any feedback.

You remind me of Tyson Fury wearing that baseball cap. Take that.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-02-2015, 04:05 AM
That is probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me.

Or the greatest. I'm not sure.
01-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Bump.

Just reread this entire thread and it’s full of win.

Black
10-18-2019, 10:53 AM
(01-18-2018 06:56 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Bump.

Just reread this entire thread and it’s full of win.

It's full of nonsense...
10-18-2019, 04:26 PM
lol

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
10-18-2019, 05:25 PM
(10-18-2019 10:53 AM)Nay_Sayer Wrote:  It's full of nonsense...

Then no need to post in it.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
10-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Well, he might need to post another out of context quote from a book he’s never read.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)