Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

What impresses you more, shut outs or overcoming adversity?
10-14-2012, 06:54 AM
I found it hard to decide, but I find myself going back to watch flawless performances again and again a lot more than I do fights where somebody came back from adversity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 07:49 AM
It's obviously good to see a fighter go through adversity in fights, throughout throw career but if this is about preference to one fight only, then that's different.

I would rather have a shutout victory, without the adversity. Look at Martinez-Chavez for example. Martinez fought a shut out & put up a very good performance that fight. But because of minute or so Chavez won out of the 36 minutes it gives reason for people to critize or ask for a rematch.
10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
You get a guy who gives endless flawless performances, and you'll find critics BEGGING for 'come back from the brink' type fight.

And you get a guy who's in FOTY every time, and the critics will say the guy can't box.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Black
10-15-2012, 01:47 AM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Roy's gut check, for me, came in two consecutive fights. The Ruiz fight may look easy, and may be derided now, but hindsight is 20/20, and at the time Ruiz was a top three in the division regardless of title. Roy was expected to be splattered, and it showed pure guts to take the fight and to take it to the bigger man, especially when Ruiz came out so aggressively and Roy chose to stand his ground and fight him off.

And then the Tarver fight showed his heart. Tarver was the bigger, stronger man, and if Roy was the chicken many made him out to be, he'd have just bailed. Instead he gritted out the win, which to me showed the heart and chin we all questioned. Of course what happened after is well known, but that was Roy's final stand that night.
Never really thought about it that way Black. I am no RJJ fan but I remember being shown more about Roy in the first Tarver fight than any time previously.

I admire a fighter who overcomes adversity moreso than a shutout pitcher. Great fighters are a part of great moments in boxing win or lose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Feds shut down 16 streaming sites Byrd Man 6 2,986 02-05-2012 02:00 AM
Last Post: STEVENSKI

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)