THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
2016 Olympics - Rio - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: 2016 Olympics - Rio (/showthread.php?tid=2673)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2016 Olympics - Rio - Spyder - 06-03-2016 03:03 PM

I've been seeing a lot about the Olympics lately, so I wanted to give Snoop a place to vent his frustrations.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Snoop - 06-06-2016 03:05 PM

Haha. Thanks brother. I've been living in the States for the past year or so, so I actually haven't been paying a lot of attention to it to be honest. But from the little I've read, it sounds like all hell is breaking loose: The polluted waters, Zika, the attempted political coup, a 16-year-old girl getting gang-raped by 33 guys, the faulty construction that killed two people on a bike path, etc., etc...it's fucking insane. If there was one Olympics that they should consider cancelling, it's probably this one, but knowing Brazil, they won't.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Spyder - 06-06-2016 07:20 PM

That would mean the IOC admitting that they screwed up during the selection process as well.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Dickagon - 06-06-2016 09:40 PM

They should have went with Chicago. I'd love to go see USA basketball, some boxing and the 100m. Maybe even gymnastics and womens volleyball.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Fitz - 06-07-2016 06:46 AM

Apparently Steph Curry will not be playing for the USA Basketball team and decided to take it off.
I wouldn't imagine it will make a difference as you will win gold no matter what.

But do you think an athlete should represent your country at the Olympics? Is it disrespectful if you don't?

I know with the Olympics, athletes who compete in a sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle for their chosen sport, they probably don't take it as seriously.
Like an athlete from the USA basketball team where the NBA is considered the 'best in the world' rather than playing nations around the world, and soccer where the World Cup is the pinnacle event when it comes to competing at the highest level and even the Euro Cup which is bigger than Olympic Soccer, then there is tennis and now golf which is the same.
You could see athletes from sports like that pull out of the olympics as it doesn't mean as much to them as other events in their field. But you would never see a swimmer, sprinter, diver, weightlifter, javelin thrower, rower etc pull out of their event as that is the pinnacle for them.

I know it isn't a marquee event for athletes of some sports, but I still would think it would be an honour to represent your country, even if it doesn't mean as much in your respected sport.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Dickagon - 06-07-2016 06:56 AM

When you get warned to sleep in a mosquito net and to leave your family at home due to health concerns you've to question why the Olympics is even being held in that janky shithole to begin with. I can't blame him.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Spyder - 06-07-2016 10:37 AM

(06-07-2016 06:46 AM)Fitz Wrote:  I know it isn't a marquee event for athletes of some sports, but I still would think it would be an honour to represent your country, even if it doesn't mean as much in your respected sport.
I'm a little surprised that the Olympics and that sentiment isn't seen as Xenophobic now.

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - lloyd mayflower - 06-07-2016 11:15 AM

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."

Kenneth Powers

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - Dickagon - 06-07-2016 04:32 PM

How's Kenny Powers received in the UK, Lloyd. Do you think it's a documentary of the average American?

RE: 2016 Olympics - Rio - lloyd mayflower - 06-07-2016 05:20 PM

Not many people have seen it that I know despite my relentless championing of his cause