THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY
Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - Printable Version

+- THE SOCIAL UNDERGROUND COMMUNITY (https://www.socialunderground.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Boxing (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boxing Unfiltered (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd (/showthread.php?tid=2959)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JD - 03-07-2018 08:57 PM

In a different era Wilder or Joshua would get handled by Tony Tucker.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JONdaCON - 03-07-2018 11:43 PM

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilders-manager-we-50-50-split-make-joshua-fight--125972

A showdown between Joshua, who owns the IBF, IBO and WBA titles, and Wilder isn’t expected to happen next, assuming the heavily favored Joshua beats Parker later this month. If it does take place, Joshua and Wilder are expected to earn eight-figure purses.

According to Finkel, there have been no discussions between representatives for Wilder and Joshua since November 29. That was the day Finkel met with Barry Hearn, Eddie Hearn’s father and the founder of Matchroom Boxing, which promotes Joshua.

“What I said was that on November 29th, 2017, I met with Barry Hearn, which is Eddie’s father,” Finkel said, referring to a story he told toward the end of Wilder’s post-fight press conference Saturday night. “And he said that he believed he could bring more people to Vegas, at a higher ticket price, that we would make more money than if we fought in the UK. I said to him, ‘We’re open to fight either place. If you’re ready, we could make a deal.’ He also asked us if we would fight on February 3rd against Dillian Whyte. I said, ‘Sure, if we could make Joshua.’

“I got a letter later that day and it was from Eddie. He says, ‘Hi Shelly. Glad you had a good chin wag with the old man.’ I laugh a little because this is language I never could’ve made up. ‘I will get the respective P&L, profits-losses, to you this week for discussion. All the best, Eddie.’ That was on November 29th. I have not heard from him since. Then he goes out [and says] that we were asking for this and we were asking for that. We haven’t asked for anything. When they make these ridiculous statements, I’ll counter just to save face. We’re ready to fight him. We’re ready to do it whenever.”

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JD - 03-08-2018 07:39 AM

Finkel has come off 50/50...I gather Wilder is getting tired of taking home small paydays.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - blackbelt2003 - 03-08-2018 11:56 AM

How well is Barclays Centre selling for Wilder? I would wager he’s not on the same stratosphere as AJ, financially. And from a bargaining point, Joshua will have three belts (assuming he comes through vs Parker) to Wilder’s one.

Wilder can argue his record is 50/50 with Joshua’s, but nothing else.

Black

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JD - 03-08-2018 12:13 PM

Not well.

Seats are easy to come by. He made $2 mill for Ortiz, Joshua made $13 mill for Takam.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - blackbelt2003 - 03-08-2018 04:56 PM

It’s a bad thing if the heavyweight champion of the world with a 40-0-0 (39) record can’t even sell out in Brooklyn, where they love boxing.

He better take whatever Joshua offers him before AJ takes one on the chin from someone unexpected and the whole thing goes up in smoke.

Black

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JD - 03-08-2018 05:27 PM

Secondary market I could have walked in the arena for $65. $150 for a solid seat.

I ended up at the Kovalev fight because the Theater is the best venue for boxing. I’ll always pick a fight there.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - Dickagon - 03-08-2018 05:54 PM

He can sell out in Alabama but only relatively small venues. I think he did 9,000 people with Molina. Joshua did over 70,000 with Takam. I think Wilder just lacks any real casual fan appeal. He can stop people but he isnt exciting in or out of the ring. When he medaled i hoped his career would be better than it has been. I think his late start and refusal to develop his skills have seriously hurt him.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - JD - 03-08-2018 07:16 PM

Wilder sucks.

RE: Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd - lloyd mayflower - 03-08-2018 07:29 PM

(03-08-2018 05:27 PM)JD Wrote:  Secondary market I could have walked in the arena for $65. $150 for a solid seat.

I ended up at the Kovalev fight because the Theater is the best venue for boxing. I’ll always pick a fight there.

Do you ever go to Jimmys Corner JD?