Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland
03-11-2017, 03:19 AM
RE: New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland
(03-11-2017 02:46 AM)Snoop Wrote:  I think it's going to be a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be. You're basically proposing a complete reformation of a sport that no single entity has control of, and no single company has enough money to pull that off. Think about it. Let's just say Top Rank is the one to attempt to do this. They create their own tournament, their own belt, and their own ranking system. Do you really think Top Rank would be able to bankroll all of the top fighters to participate in their particular league of boxing? Of course not, because each superstar fighter would require too much money. And why is that? Because there is a competing promotional company that can offer it to them.

Furthermore, do you really think that the boxing public is just going to disregard all the other ranking systems and promotional companies? Say the tournament in question is being held at welterweight and for whatever reason, Kell Brook is not included in the tournament. People aren't going to just suddenly accept that Kell Brook should no longer be considered an elite level fighter just because the entity doesn't recognize him, nor should they. Granted, the way sanctioning bodies are now have created a whole slew of problems in boxing, but ideally they serve a purpose and they should be kept separate from a promotional company. Again, that doesn't really happen that much due to bribes, corruption or whatever, but it sure as hell doesn't happen in the UFC because the promoter and the sanctioning body are one in the same.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the industry of boxing would be very complicated to dismantle, and it wouldn't be as simple as "just doing it". There are also a number of issues with the way the UFC is structured, so I don't know that replicating their model would be the best thing for the sport. Taking some of their approaches, sure, but a complete restructure I'm not so sure about.
Kinda like how the AFL was never going to be able to compete with the NFL? It's happened before. The UFC basically invented a sport, set the rules, developed the fighters, built a fanbase out of nowhere...and that all happened in the last 20 years. All that I'm talking about is organizing a sport that already exists, and fixing the aspects that people complain about.

How hard do you really think it would be for Al Haymon and 1 other promoter to get their guys to be the champions of a new boxing league? Al already has a deal worked out with the major networks...more people watched Keith Thurman fight Danny Garcia, than Floyd/Pac. The money is there, the blueprint is there, someone just has to have the guts to do it.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland - Spyder - 03-11-2017 03:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)