Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cobra Kai, bitches! The Karate Kid returns.
05-23-2018, 08:42 AM
RE: Cobra Kai, bitches! The Karate Kid returns.
(05-20-2018 08:32 AM)Fitz Wrote:  Watched the first few episodes. Awesome so far, still has that nostalgic feel without it being lame today.
Only thing I can't get past is Larusso's daughter with the bad spunk which is the asian guy. I've seen it before, but rarely. An asian dude with an attractive non-asian. Not impossible but usually a bit far fetched. I can't take this guy seriously as a 'bad guy' yet.
Only 3 episodes in so I'll see how it progresses. But other than that, this has been awesome.

Don't know if you've watched anymore, but that Asian kid really doesn't play an important role in the show. He isn't the "Johnny Lawrence" of this story, by any means.

The two main rivals of the series will play similar roles to Daniel and Johnny in this show, that is there will be two flawed protagonists diametrically opposed to each other.

What I absolutely love about this show is how "conservative" it is. Johnny's anti-PC attitude is the most obvious, but also the weakest, example of this. The show unabashedly embraces the importance of a strong father figure in the life of children, something the Left would label as "toxic masculinity."

Johnny was who he was because of bad father figures in his life (step-father and Kreese.)

Daniel was the hero of the Karate Kid films because he had Miyagi there to guide him. Now that Miyagi is gone, we see Daniel struggling in the series. He says this himself when he goes to visit Miyagi's grave.

Sam, Daniel's daughter, is a moral, upright, well-behaved and strong person because she had Daniel as her father.

Robbie (Johnny's kid), on the other hand, does drugs, has bad grades, and steals because Johnny was never there for him.

Miguel is weak and lacks confidence because he has no confidence, just like all of Johnny's loser students.

It's only when Robbie finds Daniel and Miguel and company find Johnny that they begin to blossom. The show absolutely places tremendous importance on the value of father figures, and goes out of its way to clearly paint the ramifications of having one and not having one.

In fact, the last episode in particular highlights the weakness of Johnny's Karate style (and by extension, the weakness he as a father figure has imbued to his students), while it is Daniel's more graceful and balanced style that produces better results for Robbie.

Just a great show, in my opinion, and successful on so many layers. It's not only good, old-fashioned story telling, but also a rebellion against the modern ideals radical leftists and third-wave feminists have vomited out over the last decade and a half.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Wow that was deep good job.
05-27-2018, 09:12 PM
(05-23-2018 08:42 AM)Warlord Wrote:  Don't know if you've watched anymore, but that Asian kid really doesn't play an important role in the show. He isn't the "Johnny Lawrence" of this story, by any means.

The two main rivals of the series will play similar roles to Daniel and Johnny in this show, that is there will be two flawed protagonists diametrically opposed to each other.

What I absolutely love about this show is how "conservative" it is. Johnny's anti-PC attitude is the most obvious, but also the weakest, example of this. The show unabashedly embraces the importance of a strong father figure in the life of children, something the Left would label as "toxic masculinity."

Johnny was who he was because of bad father figures in his life (step-father and Kreese.)

Daniel was the hero of the Karate Kid films because he had Miyagi there to guide him. Now that Miyagi is gone, we see Daniel struggling in the series. He says this himself when he goes to visit Miyagi's grave.

Sam, Daniel's daughter, is a moral, upright, well-behaved and strong person because she had Daniel as her father.

Robbie (Johnny's kid), on the other hand, does drugs, has bad grades, and steals because Johnny was never there for him.

Miguel is weak and lacks confidence because he has no confidence, just like all of Johnny's loser students.

It's only when Robbie finds Daniel and Miguel and company find Johnny that they begin to blossom. The show absolutely places tremendous importance on the value of father figures, and goes out of its way to clearly paint the ramifications of having one and not having one.

In fact, the last episode in particular highlights the weakness of Johnny's Karate style (and by extension, the weakness he as a father figure has imbued to his students), while it is Daniel's more graceful and balanced style that produces better results for Robbie.

Just a great show, in my opinion, and successful on so many layers. It's not only good, old-fashioned story telling, but also a rebellion against the modern ideals radical leftists and third-wave feminists have vomited out over the last decade and a half.

Check out a great interview Steven Crowder does with Ralph Macchio. always helps when an interviewer is a legitimate fan of the person they are interviewing. (Plus you get the bonus of the Hodge Twins interview, those guys are always funny.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuFRsoT8pY

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
05-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Ollie. Loved that interview. Is the Mach a conservative, I wonder? Why would he be on with Crowder otherwise?

Have you watched the show yet?

05-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Where can I get the full series? Only talk I have seen about it has been on here. Quite fancy wathcing it now
05-27-2018, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 11:18 PM by ViperSniper.)
(05-27-2018 11:07 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Where can I get the full series? Only talk I have seen about it has been on here. Quite fancy wathcing it now

That's what I wanna know!

I watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed both. When I heard they were making this series my first thought was "bad idea". But after the first 2 episodes I felt they did a good job of the plot and storyline to it.

It was a very smart move to open up the series with the focus being on Johnny..as it may have not had the same impact had they opened up the series with LaRusso. Johnny's character sets the show up moreso than LaRusso's character. With the swearing, attitude, hitting on younger chics to be called a creep, drinking, getting in fights was a good opening to the new series without it feeling forced or cheesy.

I really wanna watch the rest...maybe go back and refresh my memory with the movies first..and THEN jump into episode 3 of the series!
05-28-2018, 06:58 AM
You guys can watch it on Youtube Red. Sign up for a free month trial, watch the episodes, and then cancel. Doesn't cost anything. I can PM you some sites to stream it from if you want to do that instead.

05-28-2018, 06:56 PM
(05-27-2018 09:28 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Thanks, Ollie. Loved that interview. Is the Mach a conservative, I wonder? Why would he be on with Crowder otherwise?

Have you watched the show yet?

I would say he is a conservative just by the way he answered the questions. It's an interesting dilemma HW now finds itself in. Faith based movies like the Sean Hannity made 'Let There be Light' did exceptionally well on a small budget, Roseanne is the highest rated sitcom in America and Tim Allen's one is coming back. Now a clearly conservative themed 'Karate Kid' has smashed all types of records. You just know that the one thing HW loves more than moralising is $$$$. They must be in a real pickle as to what to do.

Thanks for the tip on gaming YT Red, I'll do just tat now to go and watch the new KK series.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
05-28-2018, 11:07 PM
Just watched episode 1. Enjoyed it and will definitely continue with the series. The only bit I found a wee bit cheesy was when Johnny was in his car having flashbacks, but I expected the full thing to be utter cheese so glad it wasn't. Todays film-makers seem to be learning that when they are rebooting things from the 80's/90's that people my age enjoyed as kids, it's beneficial to add a little bit more grit to the proceedings.
05-29-2018, 02:33 AM
(05-28-2018 06:58 AM)Warlord Wrote:  You guys can watch it on Youtube Red. Sign up for a free month trial, watch the episodes, and then cancel. Doesn't cost anything. I can PM you some sites to stream it from if you want to do that instead.

I may have to suss out the Youtube Red then cancel, cheers man!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)