Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who is the greatest Heavyweight since Ali?
Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
Riddick Bowe
Lennox Lewis
Vitali Klitschko
Wladamir Klitschko
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Greatest Heavyweight since Muhammad Ali.
08-28-2018, 07:50 AM
The Greatest Heavyweight since Muhammad Ali.
I figured I'd make this a thread based on the video I came across & posted in the video thread.

So who would be the greatest Heavyweight since Muhammad Ali?

I feel there is 7 strong candidates which would be Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, V.Klitschko & W.Klitschko.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2018, 08:35 AM
RE: The Greatest Heavyweight since Muhammad Ali.
Holmes
08-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Holyfield for me. He was champion, on and off, from 1990 to 1999 in arguably the strongest heavyweight division outside of the 70's.

Black
08-28-2018, 02:52 PM
I voted Holyfield as well... always was my fav HW growing up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2018, 03:09 PM
This is a bit difficult for me, to be honest. Considering win/loss ratio + competition record, I say Lennox Lewis (whom I hate more than anyone else on the list).

From a P4P perspective, I think Holyfield easily qualifies as the best of the bunch. He was always an undersized heavyweight against absolutely MASSIVE punchers, and still managed to get wins over some of the greatest heavyweights in history.

If you want to talk about natural talent and potential, which rightly doesn't count for much, I think Tyson had more than anyone, followed closely by Bowe.

If you ran a round robin and wanted to pick the guy who likely causes the most match-up problems for other fighters in the tournament, I think it's Vitali Klitchsko.

Holmes I've never liked as much as some of you. I think he had a long run against fairly unimpressive competition. As much flak as Rocky Marciano gets, he had a better comp record than Larry and Larry still couldn't equal his record. (Let the butthurt commence.)

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Yeah, it was between Holy and Lennox for me, with Holmes ever so slightly behind.

Black
08-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Vitali Klitschko easily, he beats everybody. He was up 9-0 on Byrd and dislocated his shoulder. He was beating a gassed Lewis and his face fell off. He had a granite chin and huge punch. And a HUGE gas tank the man would hit you as much and as hard in 12 as he would in 1.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
08-29-2018, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2018 08:35 AM by ViperSniper.)
It's tough to pick..

Larry Holmes
Didn't have the greatest competition as he unfortunately got most of the aging fighters from the 70's but still managed to have big names. In terms of skillwise Holmes is arguably the best of the lot & arguably the most impressive title reign.

Mike Tyson
Unfortunately didn't fight in the strongest point of the division but still managed to make the most of his run by making statements.
No one on this list was ever considered as great as Tyson was during any point of their career. Tyson brought back the biggest division of the sport back to life & in his prime was already being discussed amongst the past greats.
Tyson's greatest wins over greats like Spinks & being the only man to KO Larry Holmes.

Evander Holyfield
The Real Deal was in the mix with the best the division had to offer for over 2 decades which has resulted in having one of the greatest/toughest resumes in the entire sport going by the past 25-30 years (along with Mosley & De La Hoya). Unfortunately because of fighting the best in a tough era, Holyfield has come short in alot of big fights nor had a consistent title reign.
His greatest wins being Bowe & Tyson.

Riddick Bowe
Unfortunately didn't have that consistency like the rest but did manage to beat Holyfield twice in one of the greatest trilogies & is arguably the most skilled & talented of the lot.

Lennox Lewis
Unfortunately Lewis hit some massive losses in his career during his prime/title run to much lesser fighters. His 2 greatest wins against Holyfield/Tyson were unfortunately not against eithers prime, with Tyson being shot at the time.
Lewis did however manage to still compile a very strong career and title run by avenging both his losses and had a dominant reign against very solid competition & is also one of the most skilled of the lot.

Vitali Klitschko
Unfortunately fought in a very weak era and his title reign never became what it really could have due to injury, political career & retirements in his career. When he was active, Vitali was widely regarded better than Wlad & many would have also picked him in a head to head scenario.

Wladamir Klitschko
Wlad unfortunately fought in one of the weakest eras and for a big part fought alongside his brother & like Lewis, got set back with big KO losses against much lesser opponents.
However, Wlad eventually compiled a long dominant reign, rarely losing rounds & there were many championship rounds fought! Wlad has the longest title reign & also the most title fights & wins amongst any Heavyweight mentioned here.

Going by title reigns it would go down to whose title run was more impressive out of Larry Holmes or Wladamir Klitschko? If it comes strictly to numbers/stats then you gotta go with Wladimir.

Going by greatest win(s) held by the lot then Mike Tyson may have that claim. Does any win top having W's over greats like Spinks & Larry Holmes in that kind of dominating fashion?

Lewis knocking out an old Tyson wouldn't. Maybe Holyfield beating Mike Tyson..but it wasn't Tokyo Tyson either (no knock on Holy), maybe Bowe beating prime Holyfield (twice) has the best argument.

Going by longevity then Holyfield would have a strong case but then didn't have the consistency like Holmes, Lewis, Vitali or Wlad.
08-29-2018, 08:33 AM
I hate that I have to defend Lewis, because I hate his guts, but damn he is getting shafted in this thread. He fought (and beat) better fighters than Tyson, Holmes, or either Klit. I honestly don't see anyone even trying to make that argument.

It comes down to Lewis or Holyfield. If you want to give Holyfield the nod, do it. I love Evander and loathe Lewis, and won't put up a fight.

But my conscience compels me to defend the turd against any of the other fighters listed, even if he did have that fake as fuck Jamaican accent. Jeez, Lewis was such a tool.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-29-2018, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2018 09:13 AM by ViperSniper.)
(08-29-2018 08:33 AM)Warlord Wrote:  I hate that I have to defend Lewis, because I hate his guts, but damn he is getting shafted in this thread. He fought (and beat) better fighters than Tyson, Holmes, or either Klit. I honestly don't see anyone even trying to make that argument.

It comes down to Lewis or Holyfield. If you want to give Holyfield the nod, do it. I love Evander and loathe Lewis, and won't put up a fight.

But my conscience compels me to defend the turd against any of the other fighters listed, even if he did have that fake as fuck Jamaican accent. Jeez, Lewis was such a tool.

He may have fought better competition than all of them boxers. However in terms of their best wins which win(s) do you hold higher between Lewis KO8 Tyson/Lewis UD Holyfield or Tyson KO1 Spinks/Tyson KO4 Holmes?
Not saying Lewis didn't have any good wins or his best wasn't that good. I personally think Holyfield stopping Tyson is more impressive than when Lewis beat Tyson or even when Lewis beat Holyfield (although this one has a closer argument).

In terms of who has the greatest wins out of all fighters listed I'd say it would look something like this..

Tyson KO4 Holmes
Tyson KO1 Spinks
Bowe UD Holyfield
Holyfield MD Bowe
Holyfield TKO11 Tyson
Bowe TKO8 Holyfield
Lewis UD Holyfield
Lewis TKO6 Vitali
Tyson KO2 Berbick
Holmes SD Norton

Obviously there are other things to consider other than just best wins in terms of greatness but feel it plays a big part as sometimes a fighter only needs that 1 win to define their career and greatness.

It's either between Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis then followed by Holmes & then Bowe & the Klits are tough to separate..Bowe has better wins and also fought in a better era but the Klits were better longer reigning champions that lacked career defining victories..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Post 2000: Greatest Heavyweight Win ViperSniper 38 3,645 01-02-2020 06:00 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Top 10 greatest punches thrown in Heavyweight history by a fighter. ViperSniper 16 10,154 10-20-2016 07:04 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  R.I.P Muhammad Ali The Greatest Of All Time ViperSniper 26 16,121 06-15-2016 08:13 AM
Last Post: lloyd mayflower

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)