Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

HBO drops Boxing
10-02-2018, 09:07 AM
RE: HBO drops Boxing
Are you telling me if Scunthorpe United had a brilliant bunch of talented kids it means they're guaranteed success?

Or would a more financially viable team just buy them up? You think boxing is ruined by money...look at football. It's nothing to do with anything except financial domination.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Who the fuck is scunthorpe? I know a dude that won a NCAA championship and didn't get drafted, hes been playing in Europe. There's a difference between being good at basketball and being good enough for the nba.

None of the owners in a pro sports league are giving out participation trophies.
10-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Gravy, I'm guessing the joke 'Accrington Stanley, who are they?', would be totally lost on you.

Black
10-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Please speak english
10-02-2018, 03:33 PM
I know everyone feels May and Pac fought too late.. but if they fought in their primes, it wouldnt garner nearly the same attention.

That'd be like if Errol and Crawford fought tomorrow... sure we'd be hyped and love every sec of it but it wouldnt sell for shit... you'd almost have to wait 3 or 4 more years of them calling each other out and talking shit to get the big numbers they require for their paydays...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2018, 07:44 PM
The fight was massive and then it's just there. No promotion and it broke records. In its prime? I think it'd have been an Ali fight. Maybe not the rumble in the jungle but one of them.

I think the more boxing has went towards a business more than a sport we've seen worse ppv numbers and less viewers.
10-02-2018, 07:54 PM
(10-02-2018 09:07 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Are you telling me if Scunthorpe United had a brilliant bunch of talented kids it means they're guaranteed success?

Or would a more financially viable team just buy them up? You think boxing is ruined by money...look at football. It's nothing to do with anything except financial domination.

Black

Well no of course not. I am saying if Scunthorpe United play the matches set out for them as defined by what league they are in, and they prevail in enough of them to give them the highest points tally, they will be promoted, and will continue to do so until they meet the ceiling of their capabilities.

Can you say that exists in boxing?
10-03-2018, 04:59 AM
Lloyd, thats exactly what I'm getting at. If they earned it they'd get promoted. In boxing a major club like Arsenal could play sunday league teams and say other clubs need to build themselves up first. Or they could make another team play 5v11 because its too much of a risk. In true boxing form Arsenal could pick officials and get favorable calls then at the end of a 0-0 match the announcer calls it Arsenal 1 to nil

I think all of us on here as fans want to see a dude out there destroying everyone and bringing some interest back to the sport. Prime Tyson would have Wilder and AJ doing everything they can to fuck him. Shit split so he's practically fighting for free, shitty gloves, a huge ring, a fight in their backyard and they get to hand select the judges.
10-03-2018, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2018 09:57 AM by blackbelt2003.)
But comparing team and solo sports is like apples and oranges. The downside to team sports is you have to watch your team play shitty matches against someone from the bottom of the league...imagine that in boxing? If Oleksandr Usyk had to fight league matches against the number 20 ranked contender in the league instead of Tony Bellew? We'd all be moaning.

I agree that boxing isn't perfect and there are lots of shitty back-door deals and fighters dodging each other, but let's not pretend it's all bad and all other sports have got it right.

Black
10-03-2018, 10:25 AM
You are correct that no sport is perfect but really, you cam take most of the top level guys and have the same conversation with them and itbwould go like this.
Q "in the last 3 years since you reached the upper echelons of p4p rankings, how many fight have you had?"

A "6"

Q "How did you arrive at the opponents for those 6 fights in 3 years?"

A "Uuuuuuuhhhhh......."

*Promoter jumps in* "Well you know, this guy was a hungry young lion with a title" (translate, cherry picked a title) "and that guy you know about their rivalry so we had to do it for the fans (translate, fabricated a rivalry to shoe horn a Dillian Whyte type can into a fight) "and then you know with the last fight, it had been allowed to marinate amd was a huge event" (translate, we ducked eachother for years while we argued about who was getting to walk out first)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)