Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

ALLTIME P4P
02-14-2019, 07:34 PM
ALLTIME P4P
Let's see your ALLTIME P4P Top 5-10 whatever. Let's see who makes everyone's list!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2019, 11:39 PM
RE: ALLTIME P4P
Ray Robinson and then it becomes kinda hard due to lack of decent footage of old timers. But there is enough footage of SRR (past his prime I might add) to comfortably put him at number one.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2019, 04:50 PM
I tend to only go for modern era fighters (active approx WWII onwards) as it is silly trying to rank a guy from 1917 based on numbers and newspaper articles alone.

So I've got:

1. Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Ray Leonard
4. Joe Louis
5. Robert Duran
6. Carlos Monzon
7. Floyd Mayweather
8. Archie Moore
9. Willie Pep
10. Marvin Hagler

Just after that I'd have the likes of Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Ike Williams, Eder Jofre, Evander Holyfield, Vicente Saldivar, Pernell Whitaker, Pascual Perez, Jose Napoles and Michael Spinks.

Black
02-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Floyd jr is too high bro.
02-17-2019, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2019 05:41 PM by blackbelt2003.)
I've thought that...but taking my anti-modern bias away from it for a second I really don't think anyone I put below him had a better career.

Black
02-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Mayweather is wayyyy too high! Even with the modern style boxing. Mayweather isn't even the best in his own era. I've got Jones, Hopkins & Pacqiuao higher than Mayweather.

Mayweather may be the most successful boxer of all time, but far from the greatest!
02-17-2019, 07:13 PM
And Black had no love for Henry Armstrong.

Roy Jones jr is a really fascinating case when it comes to ranking. IF (and it's a big if) he holds a press conference after the first Tarver fight and says something along the lines of Lennox Lewis, I realize I'm done the fire has gone out he is probably in most people's top 5 of all time, maybe even top 2 or 3. That late career drop off really hurt his legacy.

He beat prime or near-prime fighters in Toney and Hopkins and that for me is better than anything Floyd did.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
02-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Henry Armstrong isn't in the modern era for me.

Black
02-17-2019, 09:24 PM
Has there been a boxer whose losses hurt his legacy/career as much as Roy Jones Jr.?
02-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Did Roy’s losses hurt him?

I and a ton of others knew Roy was done after he cut so much weight the wrong way when he dropped down to fight Tarver. A lot of us called it even before the first Tarver fight.

Mackie Shilstone made the case convincingly enough as well.

I don’t count Roy’s losses against him any more than I do any fighter’s losses after their prime.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)