Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Repeat?
This poll is closed.
Yes 100.00% 3 100.00%
No 0% 0 0%
Total 3 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Wilder-Ortiz II set Nov 23rd: Repeat or revenge?
12-05-2019, 09:11 AM
RE: Wilder-Ortiz II set Nov 23rd: Repeat or revenge?
Wilder should be a huge star.

Jokes about how terrible he is aside...he’s a heavyweight with a ton of charisma, who has power that we haven’t seen in a while and who is American.

He’s been managed so poorly because he should be huge here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Agreed. He is a genuinely likeable guy, with just the right touch of mean streak. His fights are generally exciting, and even when they aren't, you just know the big KO is around the corner.

How he is not a mega star is unbelievable.

Black
12-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Wilder needed that Wlad win!
Wilder has now surpassed Fraizer, Tyson, Lewis & Vitali with consecutive HW title defenses & is now tied with Ali on 10. Longest reigning HW champ today, still undefeated whose power is amongst Foreman, Shavers & Tyson! For what that's worth, Wilder seems to maintain & slowly gain more media attention & adding to his highlight reel!
12-05-2019, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 11:03 AM by salvador.)
I don't think Wilder has been mismanaged. Given his limited accomplishments, it makes total sense he is where he is right now in terms of star power.

$20MM for his rematch with a 40 year old Ortiz, who he'd already ko'd, sounds like a guy who's made it to the top of the sport in spite of the fact that Fury is the only name on his resume any casual fan has ever heard of. And Fury wasn't some kind of unbeatable foe when they fought to a draw less than a year ago.

And in spite of Wilder's power, he still looks spastic in the ring.

And if he ko's Fury, he'll probably be the highest paid guy in the sport with the possible exception of Canelo - especially if he ko's Joshua next.

Seems to be on exactly the right track.
12-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Most casuals know Ortiz and Arreola. I get what you're saying but the man should've had a publicist he should be a world wide household name. He especially should be an American household name. When Tyson Fury walked LA asking people who Wilder was that was ridiculous.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
12-05-2019, 11:54 AM
I don't think most casual fans thought Arreola or Ortiz were anything special. Arreola was a gatekeeper at best and Ortiz hadn't beaten anyone whatsoever when he fought Wilder.

The Ortiz fight was an exciting HW fight, but I don't think anyone watching thought they were looking at A-list fighters.

I follow the sport more closely than most and I can't remember caring about Wilder at all before the Stiverne fight.

I like Wilder a lot. He's grown on me because he's so fundamentally willing to stick his chin out and throw bombs and he's totally likable out of the ring and it would make total sense to me that he could be HUGE. But he still hasn't got that one defining win against an unbeatable foe and I can't believe that a publicist could get around that.

Wilder has had a hell of a year financially and he's got what should be an easy fight and mega payday lined up against Fury. It's just hard for me to imagine how things could be better for him with any other manager.
12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Ortiz had beat Jennings Thompson and Kayode all by stoppage....

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
12-05-2019, 12:35 PM
I think alot of it was they also didnt know how good he would actually be.. so they werent super invested in him.

I remember when he was heading into the Kelvin Price fight(26th fight)... it was essentially billed as a 50/50 fight and the winner would be the next guy pushed into the spotlight..

Hell even people still questioned Wilder vs Washington. That was like his 38 fight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2019, 08:52 PM
People should remember that before Tyson beat Larry Holmes he didn't have a huge name on his resume but he was expertly marketed. I know times have changed and boxing has a lot more competition now for the entertainment dollar but yeah, Deontay has been really poorly marketed. In the age of the internet and social media how he isn't one of the biggest stars in the world is beyond me. Doesn't matter that he is beating up tomato cans, it is the WAY he is beating up tomato cans which is exciting. There is so much you could do with a guy like that that isn't being done.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
12-05-2019, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 09:09 PM by ViperSniper.)
In terms of marketability..Wilder is everything Floyd isn't & should have been, but doesn't even have a quarter of the starpower.

Regardless of whether Wilder has done okay or had a good year, he should be a much bigger star than what he currently is & had a very quiet, slow push at the start of his career.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Showtime out on Wilder - Ortiz 2 JD 11 812 09-29-2019 06:30 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Wilder - Ortiz 2 Confirmed JD 20 1,512 06-03-2019 05:57 PM
  Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz set for March 3rd ViperSniper 197 56,019 08-25-2018 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)