Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

What should Ward do from here?
02-25-2013, 05:42 AM
and the NEW Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:The difference between Martinez and Floyd is that Martinez has said that 168 is too much for him, and he is a small 160 fighter as it is.
Floyd has fought at 154 several times, and is a champion at 154. He is just being selective on who he wants to fight at 154. I would treat Martinez the same way if he were to move up to 168 a couple of times, pick up a cheap strap.
That would be like Martinez going to 168 to beat Abraham and another weaker 168 fighter but when the best guy calls him out, has selective hearing.
Also like JD said, the comparison would be for Ward to move down to 160 to fight Martinez, as Martinez vs Floyd was always asked to be at 154 with Martinez moving down.
He hasn't fought there several times, his fought there twice. Once against Cotto (a small 154lber as we found out against Trout, and once against Oscar, never a great 154lber and Floyd looked small even then). Floyd barely broke 150lbs both times, as close to welter as a jr middle.

I can see your points, obviously. But I'm simply stating Floyd doesn't belong in the ring with legit 154lbers (Martinez, Trout or Alvarez), just as Martinez doesn't belong in there with Froch, Kessler or Ward (legit 168lbers), regardless of whether or not Floyd is adding his alphabet soup jr middle title to his 'multiple weight division championships'.
Several, or couple. It doesn't matter, he has fought there more than once and has become a champion there more than once.

Just like the notion that once a 'prospect' like Broner or Alvarez pick up one of the 4 major titles, they are fair game and should stop being treated as prospects. I look at fighters the same way that pick up titles in a weight class. They become fair game as well when they become a champion.

That said, Martinez isn't a great deal bigger than Oscar De La Hoya or Margarito. If Oscar wasn't too big for Floyd and Margarito wasn't too big for Pacquiao, I'm not sure how Martinez is well out of Floyd's league when speaking of size.

I'm not suggesting that the fight should happen, I just don't like it when fans defend Floyd and act like this whole scenario is simply out of the question, because it isn't on past history.
If Martinez is too good, or not shop worn enough, just say so......like Roach did when the Mosley fight got suggested for Pacquiao after his win over Margarito.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
FLoyd would own Martinez. Just not a big fight.
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Anytime Floyd fights it?s big?if he was going up another class to fight for the middleweight championship I tend to think it would be a very big fight.
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
No bigger than Baldomir.
02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Method Wrote:No bigger than Baldomir.
You don't think it would surpass 325,000 PPV buys?

Wow.
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Adjusted for "boxing inflation", yeah. I'm just saying, with some other fights out there he could make, this would be on the smaller side of revenue compared to a couple of others. All hypothetical. Just my opinion. Don't care to argue it since its hypo and my opinion.
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Method Wrote:Just not a big fight.
Bullshit.

That whole argument is over when it comes to Floyd. He will sell with whoever he fights. Because Guerrero is such a HUGE star now.
02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Like I said, there are bigger fights for Floyd than Floyd/Martinez, and I personally believe that Floyd/Guerrero is one of them. Guerrero's more marketable. His demograhic is a lower hanging fruit than Martinez's. At least for CBS/SHO.
02-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Fitz Wrote:That said, Martinez isn't a great deal bigger than Oscar De La Hoya or Margarito. If Oscar wasn't too big for Floyd and Margarito wasn't too big for Pacquiao, I'm not sure how Martinez is well out of Floyd's league when speaking of size.

I'm not suggesting that the fight should happen, I just don't like it when fans defend Floyd and act like this whole scenario is simply out of the question, because it isn't on past history.
If Martinez is too good, or not shop worn enough, just say so......like Roach did when the Mosley fight got suggested for Pacquiao after his win over Margarito.
I'm not sure how Martinez is a similar size to Oscar. Martinez has been blowing out middleweight challengers. Do you remember Oscar at middle? He looked like a pidgeon pecking at a green Felix Sturm! How they are similar sizes is beyond me. Oh and Margarito was no beast at 154, he would get OWNED at middle.

I don't like when fans defend Floyd either. I am not defending anything. I just like to see a fair fight and fighting a guy that will win purely on size is boring as hell. I've seen it throughout history and the fights always lack high levels of skill. It is simply one guy imposing himself on another who is too small to keep him off.
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
and the NEW Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:That said, Martinez isn't a great deal bigger than Oscar De La Hoya or Margarito. If Oscar wasn't too big for Floyd and Margarito wasn't too big for Pacquiao, I'm not sure how Martinez is well out of Floyd's league when speaking of size.

I'm not sure how Martinez is a similar size to Oscar. Martinez has been blowing out middleweight challengers. Do you remember Oscar at middle? He looked like a pidgeon pecking at a green Felix Sturm! How they are similar sizes is beyond me. Oh and Margarito was no beast at 154, he would get OWNED at middle.

I don't like when fans defend Floyd either. I am not defending anything. I just like to see a fair fight and fighting a guy that will win purely on size is boring as hell. I've seen it throughout history and the fights always lack high levels of skill. It is simply one guy imposing himself on another who is too small to keep him off.
Floyd fought Oscar at 154, where Martinez was challenging Mayweather, not 160 so I don't know why you're bringing up how Oscar looked at 160.
Oscar was decent at 154, not great. Martinez isn't that much bigger than Oscar, especially when we're talking about the 154 version.

Also, it comes down to styles. Martinez tries to get hit less than Oscar and Margarito, which is why they are a bit more unsuccessful when moving up in weight.

Martinez isn't a big 160 fighter, he isn't even a big 154 fighter. Alvarez is naturally bigger than Martinez, but Alvarez is a possibility.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)