Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Manny Pacquaio vs Rios or Alvarado in November
04-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Manny Pacquaio vs Rios or Alvarado in November
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/pacman-r...ber-189079

Quote:Pacman returns in November

By Nick Giongco

Manny Pacquiao’s comeback fight has been moved from Oct. 13 to November, Top Rank head Bob Arum said yesterday. Macau would still be the venue. Arum said the month of October is filled with Chinese holidays and it is not ideal for an event to take place during that particular month. China is observing the National Day Week from Oct. 1 to 7. Pacquiao’s next fight will be either against Mike Alvarado or Brandon Rios and Arum plans to divulge the name very soon. Pacquiao was left with Alvarado and Rios after Juan Manuel Marquez and Tim Bradley agreed to face each other on Sept. 14 in Las Vegas.

Thoughts on the possible fights? Which fight is the better one to take?

I think Rios will make for the better and more entertaining fight, and the Rios name probably has a bit more pull.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Manny Pacquaio vs Rios or Alvarado in November
(04-25-2013 11:58 AM)Fitz Wrote:  http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/pacman-r...ber-189079

Quote:Pacman returns in November

By Nick Giongco

Manny Pacquiao’s comeback fight has been moved from Oct. 13 to November, Top Rank head Bob Arum said yesterday. Macau would still be the venue. Arum said the month of October is filled with Chinese holidays and it is not ideal for an event to take place during that particular month. China is observing the National Day Week from Oct. 1 to 7. Pacquiao’s next fight will be either against Mike Alvarado or Brandon Rios and Arum plans to divulge the name very soon. Pacquiao was left with Alvarado and Rios after Juan Manuel Marquez and Tim Bradley agreed to face each other on Sept. 14 in Las Vegas.

Thoughts on the possible fights? Which fight is the better one to take?

I think Rios will make for the better and more entertaining fight, and the Rios name probably has a bit more pull.

Agreed. A relatively high risk for Pacquiao since he just got laid out cold and is even older now. I always like to see a guy that gets concussed and put to sleep come back against someone that can't punch at all just to see how they react. High risk for Pacquiao who could end up 0-3 in his last 3 fights after this one.
04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Alvarado is a much easier fight than Rios at this point.
04-25-2013, 12:21 PM
(04-25-2013 12:12 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Alvarado is a much easier fight than Rios at this point.

I don't know about that. Rios will go right in and mix it up and both guys will get caught. Rios can be hurt and I think his style will force him to be hurt in the fight. Whether or not Pacquiao can finish him is one question, and of course whether or not Pacquiao can take a punch is the biggest question.

Alvarado on the other hand while he can be drawn into slug fests (which I'm sure Pacquiao would attempt) he can also box/counter pretty well. I think with Alvarado once he gets hurt he's done for, but he may be able to avoid that for a longer period of time against Pacquiao than Rios. Either way one of these 3 guys gets stopped which makes for an exciting fight regardless of which comes off.
04-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Rios would be better for him. Alvarado can get into that rhythm and make a fighter look bad. Rios would be the perfect foil for Pac and make him look a million bucks.

Pac deserves a comeback tune up after a tough schedule, and whilst Rios isn't exactly a tune up, it's a pretty winnable fight for Pac - PROVIDING HE'S NOT SHOT ALL OF A SUDDEN, which is a real possibility.

Black
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Boy....maybe I'm in the slim minority but I think Manny eats both these guys up and spits them out...maybe Alvarado offers a little more by way of defense and ability....but IMHO...despite the age....Manny is so far of an upper level fighter as opposed to these two that I see him getting the job done with relative ease with either.

I mean going 4 times with JMM...despite the last KO loss....that's a level neither of these guys are close to IMHO.
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm definitely in the minority here because I think Manny struggles a bit with Rios and crushes Alvarado.

Rios would all activity! At 147, he wouldn't be so drained either. When Manny fought Margarito there was a round or two in the middle of the fight where Manny was very uncomfortable. If Rios can take a good shot from Manny, I think he could smother Manny and make it very uncomfortable in there. Of Course, Manny could just flatten him as well.

I see absolutely nothing in Alvarado's game that would trouble Manny.
04-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Really tough to tell after a brutal KO loss. I think of Jones getting KO against Tarver then getting stopped by Johnson.

I'd have trouble picking Pacquiao against any top guy until I see him in the ring again first just based on that KO loss, him being older, his legs being weaker, him seemingly not being as focused now as he was a few years ago, etc.

Rios and Alvarado both have not been put to sleep with 1 shot, and I think both would go down and get back up against Pacquiao before getting stopped. Both seem to be pretty durable, resilient guys at this point.
04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
i think both are good fights for Pac. JMM is gonna school Bradley too.
04-25-2013, 06:01 PM
(04-25-2013 01:21 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Rios would be better for him. Alvarado can get into that rhythm and make a fighter look bad. Rios would be the perfect foil for Pac and make him look a million bucks.

Pac deserves a comeback tune up after a tough schedule, and whilst Rios isn't exactly a tune up, it's a pretty winnable fight for Pac - PROVIDING HE'S NOT SHOT ALL OF A SUDDEN, which is a real possibility.

Black

By "all of a sudden" do you mean "the moment he got off the juice"?

Because there ain't gonna be any testing in Macau - at least not for Pac.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rios vs Alvarado and the NEW 15 11,424 01-27-2015 09:58 AM
Last Post: BrutalBodyShots
  Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios in Macau Nov 24 Spyder 45 30,834 05-11-2013 09:19 AM
Last Post: salvador
  Alvarado vs Rios II torvix2000 9 8,526 04-01-2013 02:02 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)