Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Donald Sterling-Am I missing something?
05-01-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Donald Sterling-Am I missing something?
Right. He owns an NBA franchise. It is his.

Floyd on Sterling:

"Donald Sterling, he's been getting a lot of negative press," Mayweather said. "My thing is this: I don't have nothing negative to say about this guy. He's always treated me with the utmost respect. He has always invited me to games. Always. He's always told me, 'Floyd, I want you to sit right next to me and my wife.' I don't know about the mistress, but I'm talking about him and the wife. But the mistress has always tried to send girls by me and I'd be like, 'No.' I was always like, 'No, this is my guy's seat.' "

No, this is my guy's seat.

I will leave it at that.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 03:48 AM
(05-01-2014 03:33 AM)Spyder Wrote:  Right. He owns an NBA franchise. It is his.

He owns it, but it's a franchise. You don't own it, like you would with an 'independent' business that you built.

He owns it like people own a McDonald's stores, a 7-Eleven, an Anytime Fitness Gym. There is still a legal agreement that you follow certain practices and don't do certain things that the franchise tells you (in this case, the NBA).
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
(05-01-2014 03:48 AM)Fitz Wrote:  

He owns it, but it's a franchise. You don't own it, like you would with an 'independent' business that you built.

He owns it like people own a McDonald's stores, a 7-Eleven, an Anytime Fitness Gym. There is still a legal agreement that you follow certain practices and don't do certain things that the franchise tells you (in this case, the NBA).

We understand that, Fitz, and I think we all agree. The guy has certain obligations to the NBA and his sponsors. That's true. What we're saying is that something he said, IN PRIVATE, was illegally recorded, made public, and now he's being crucified for it. This is not fucking constitutional! It isn't!

You guys know me, some a lot longer than others. I've railed hard against racism louder and longer than almost anyone I know. It fucking disgusts me. But one thing you also know, is just how much I love, respect, and adore the American constitution. To me, it is the single greatest document of governing ever created in the history of mankind. It was revolutionary then, it is still revolutionary now. And it absolutely DISGUSTS me to see it getting trampled on!

I don't care what the fuck Sterling said or who he said it to in the privacy of his own home. It's his god-given right, and it's his constitutional right, to say and feel however the fuck he wants in his own home!!!

If he made racist remarks in public, then yeah, I understand it. Go to fucking town on his ass, fine him, penalize him, ban him, what the fuck ever. I would understand that. But I don't understand this. Not at all. It is willful trampling of a man's constitutional rights all to satisfy this bizarro-world of PC madness and pandering. And it is absolute BULLSHIT!

Floyd on Sterling:

"Donald Sterling, he's been getting a lot of negative press," Mayweather said. "My thing is this: I don't have nothing negative to say about this guy. He's always treated me with the utmost respect. He has always invited me to games. Always. He's always told me, 'Floyd, I want you to sit right next to me and my wife.' I don't know about the mistress, but I'm talking about him and the wife. But the mistress has always tried to send girls by me and I'd be like, 'No.' I was always like, 'No, this is my guy's seat.' "

I will leave it at that.

That is very fucking stand-up behavior by Floyd. I wish more people had the guts to be as honest as that, instead of all this faux-outrage PC bullshit.
05-01-2014, 04:50 PM

What? Like having private conversations on the telephone.

(05-01-2014 12:36 PM)Warlord Wrote:  

We understand that, Fitz, and I think we all agree. The guy has certain obligations to the NBA and his sponsors. That's true. What we're saying is that something he said, IN PRIVATE, was illegally recorded, made public, and now he's being crucified for it. This is not fucking constitutional! It isn't!

You guys know me, some a lot longer than others. I've railed hard against racism louder and longer than almost anyone I know. It fucking disgusts me. But one thing you also know, is just how much I love, respect, and adore the American constitution. To me, it is the single greatest document of governing ever created in the history of mankind. It was revolutionary then, it is still revolutionary now. And it absolutely DISGUSTS me to see it getting trampled on!

I don't care what the fuck Sterling said or who he said it to in the privacy of his own home. It's his god-given right, and it's his constitutional right, to say and feel however the fuck he wants in his own home!!!

If he made racist remarks in public, then yeah, I understand it. Go to fucking town on his ass, fine him, penalize him, ban him, what the fuck ever. I would understand that. But I don't understand this. Not at all. It is willful trampling of a man's constitutional rights all to satisfy this bizarro-world of PC madness and pandering. And it is absolute BULLSHIT!

Floyd on Sterling:

I will leave it at that.

That is very fucking stand-up behavior by Floyd. I wish more people had the guts to be as honest as that, instead of all this faux-outrage PC bullshit.

So agree with you here mate. When starting this thread I tried to make the point that this was not about the disgraceful content of what this douche bag was saying. I think Americans, who I know do value their constitution as we've had very long discussions about it on this board, should be very very concerned that whatever you say in the privacy of your own home can now be turned and used against in your professional endeavors. This to me is actually more concerning than punishing Sterling for the racist junk that came spewing from his mouth, as the implications for all Americans can be potentially very wide ranging.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
05-01-2014, 09:45 PM
(05-01-2014 04:50 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  So agree with you here mate. When starting this thread I tried to make the point that this was not about the disgraceful content of what this douche bag was saying. I think Americans, who I know do value their constitution as we've had very long discussions about it on this board, should be very very concerned that whatever you say in the privacy of your own home can now be turned and used against in your professional endeavors. This to me is actually more concerning than punishing Sterling for the racist junk that came spewing from his mouth, as the implications for all Americans can be potentially very wide ranging.
The right to privacy is not directly defined in the Constitution, but there is a general consensus among a handful of amendments that do grant people certain aspects of privacy. Most of it involves unlawful search and seizure (4th), and the freedom of religion and speech (1st). Society has essentially held the "right to privacy" without a direct phrase or declaration from the Constitution. The emergence of social media has softened that opinion by people, and a sharp shift has definitely occurred.

The scary part for me in this is that your rights do not belong to you if you say something that we don't like. Beyond the "privacy in your home" aspect, the fact that we can take away your personal property for words...words. So much for sticks and stones...

05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
It's interesting how far this politically correct culture has gone when every time that someone who disagrees with the punishment handed out to Sterling they have to preface their comments with "I'm not a racist but..." Nowadays anyone who opens their mouth has to make sure to cover their ass for fear of being accused of something, and then then that doesn't work.

Also, I have a question: Sterling has been banned from the NBA and the organization is trying to make him sell his team. So what's from preventing him from refusing to pay the fine that has been handed out? Is there a contract clause that says an owner must respect the financial penalties imposed, even if banned?
05-01-2014, 10:41 PM
(05-01-2014 10:25 PM)Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:  It's interesting how far this politically correct culture has gone when every time that someone who disagrees with the punishment handed out to Sterling they have to preface their comments with "I'm not a racist but..." Nowadays anyone who opens their mouth has to make sure to cover their ass for fear of being accused of something, and then then that doesn't work.

Also, I have a question: Sterling has been banned from the NBA and the organization is trying to make him sell his team. So what's from preventing him from refusing to pay the fine that has been handed out? Is there a contract clause that says an owner must respect the financial penalties imposed, even if banned?
Exactly. What interest does he have in paying a fine to an organization where he no longer belongs?

05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
(05-01-2014 09:45 PM)Spyder Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 04:50 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  So agree with you here mate. When starting this thread I tried to make the point that this was not about the disgraceful content of what this douche bag was saying. I think Americans, who I know do value their constitution as we've had very long discussions about it on this board, should be very very concerned that whatever you say in the privacy of your own home can now be turned and used against in your professional endeavors. This to me is actually more concerning than punishing Sterling for the racist junk that came spewing from his mouth, as the implications for all Americans can be potentially very wide ranging.
The right to privacy is not directly defined in the Constitution, but there is a general consensus among a handful of amendments that do grant people certain aspects of privacy. Most of it involves unlawful search and seizure (4th), and the freedom of religion and speech (1st). Society has essentially held the "right to privacy" without a direct phrase or declaration from the Constitution. The emergence of social media has softened that opinion by people, and a sharp shift has definitely occurred.

The scary part for me in this is that your rights do not belong to you if you say something that we don't like. Beyond the "privacy in your home" aspect, the fact that we can take away your personal property for words...words. So much for sticks and stones...

Yeah, I know there is no "right to privacy" per se, I was referring to freedom of speech. I brought up the privacy of one's home to head off any shit-eaters claiming Sterling should be fined because his comments reflect badly on the NBA. Whether they do or do not don't mean a damn thing, because he was exercising his constitutional rights in the privacy of his own home, which would/should have zero impact on his public responsibilities.

(05-01-2014 04:50 PM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  

What? Like having private conversations on the telephone.

(05-01-2014 12:36 PM)Warlord Wrote:  

Floyd on Sterling:

I will leave it at that.

So agree with you here mate. When starting this thread I tried to make the point that this was not about the disgraceful content of what this douche bag was saying. I think Americans, who I know do value their constitution as we've had very long discussions about it on this board, should be very very concerned that whatever you say in the privacy of your own home can now be turned and used against in your professional endeavors. This to me is actually more concerning than punishing Sterling for the racist junk that came spewing from his mouth, as the implications for all Americans can be potentially very wide ranging.

You're 100% right, Ollie. As you said, no one is defending Sterling personally, only the rights of everyday Americans who could be impacted by the results of all this.
05-02-2014, 02:00 AM
"What we're saying is that something he said, IN PRIVATE, was illegally recorded, made public, and now he's being crucified for it. This is not fucking constitutional! It isn't!"

If it's not admissible in a court of law....(which it is not in California)....then it SHOULD not be used against him legally in any way.
05-02-2014, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 03:54 AM by Fitz.)
I think more attention should be made on the bitch that did it to him. I think it is wrong that a private conversation was released and it is going to cost him. But what else can be done?

I think everyone agrees that the NBA had to do something to protect their integrity.

Also people are right, that everyone is entitled to a 'freedom of speech', but that doesn't always mean that you have 'freedom of consequences'.

It sucks for Sterling that he got done over by a private conversation, and it isn't fair to get done in this way, nor is it ethical. But who is to blame for all of this? The slut was very wrong, and Sterling made a poor judgement call by dropping his guard and opening himself up to a gold digging slut.
The NBA has to protect themselves and the brand, after all, they have been innocent in all of this. They are just reacting on what has been released to the public.

I think more focus should be on the ethics on the gold digging slut (though, how much moral does she actually have?) and less on the repercussions handed down to Sterling.

(04-30-2014 04:44 AM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  
(04-30-2014 04:38 AM)Fitz Wrote:  I know it was private, but it was made public and there was no way that the NBA could not do anything about this. They are a business and if they did nothing, it would have cost them dearly and it wouldn't have sat well at all from the public.
They are a business and comments like that are not good for business.

He didn't make them public, but they were made public and something had to be done for the good of the sport. It was the correct decision the NBA made IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with the decision and really as you say the NBA had no choice. But with all the ways someone can be recorded now in private moments where does it all stop?

Ollie, I think you and everyone else can breathe a sigh of relief. Nobody is going to try and sabotage anyone's job on here and are going to record anyone's conversations to release on TMZ.

Tiger Woods and a whole lot of other high profile people suffer as well with what happens in private.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)