Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins, Mayweather or Margarito?
Floyd Mayweather
Antonio Margarito
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Antonio Margarito-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight.
05-09-2014, 12:28 PM
RE: Antonio Margarito-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight.
Marg would not have beaten Floyd. Floyd in his prime showed he had the stamina to stay on his bike the full 12 rounds. Marg would've been getting pop shot and turned all night. Folks would've said Floyd was running as always when really he would've been boxing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Prime Floyd has never in his life avoided every punch. If he's that kind of cat he'd have already proved it.
05-12-2014, 01:14 AM
(05-08-2014 05:20 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 04:10 AM)MrFactor Wrote:  Margarito would have stopped him late. It would have looked a lot like the Cotto fight. I think Cotto damaged Margarito due to his punching power. i dont think Mayweather possesses the same power. Its rare that Mayweather has fouight guys with a reach advantage, so i think he'd be uncomfortable because he'd be getting hit more often than usual. I think he'd wear down inside the distance.

lol, a reach advantage hardly comes in handy when you have slow hands and plod forward, fighting on the inside most of the time. I think Pacquiao showed how effective Margarito uses his reach "advantage".

Pac got very uncomfortable and got hit much more than usual as well. I think the Margarito that fought Pacquiao was not the same guy who Floyd would have fought when Baldomir was chosen as the opponent.

It wouldn't be so much that Margarito would have been keeping Floyd at the end of a jab. Its more like Floyd wouldn't be able to escape getting hit back.
05-13-2014, 08:22 AM
If Cotto was able to outbox Margarito for long stretches, Floyd would have done it easily...and had the magnificent fitness to not capsize like Cotto did.

However, this is all guesswork. Floyd should have fucking fought him at the time (alongside P Will, prime Cotto, Pacman, Berto and every other fucker he missed) and then we wouldn't be having this debate.

After all, if we were debating in 1989 how Mike Tyson would do vs prime Buster Douglas, what would be saying? And what actually did happen when they fought?

For all we know, Margarito is Floyd's kryptonite. Everyone has one, and it's usually the guy you least expect. That's why I never trust an '0'.

All an '0' means is that you haven't fought enough opponents yet.

Black
05-13-2014, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 03:48 PM by Snoop.)
(05-13-2014 08:22 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  If Cotto was able to outbox Margarito for long stretches, Floyd would have done it easily...and had the magnificent fitness to not capsize like Cotto did.

However, this is all guesswork. Floyd should have fucking fought him at the time (alongside P Will, prime Cotto, Pacman, Berto and every other fucker he missed) and then we wouldn't be having this debate.

After all, if we were debating in 1989 how Mike Tyson would do vs prime Buster Douglas, what would be saying? And what actually did happen when they fought?

For all we know, Margarito is Floyd's kryptonite. Everyone has one, and it's usually the guy you least expect. That's why I never trust an '0'.

All an '0' means is that you haven't fought enough opponents yet.

Black

Great post. Quotables throughout, though I'd argue that Tyson's loss to Douglas was more about Mike's lack of focus opposed to Douglas being stylistically "kyptonotic" to Tyson. But your point still stands, so I'm not sure why I even brought it up.

In another matter related to this thread, are we comparing a prime 147 Margarito to a prime 147 Mayweather or the Mayweather that just fought Maidana? It seems that most people are doing the latter, and while it's a perfectly reasonable debate to have, it's also kinda stupid.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ricardo Mayorga-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight. ViperSniper 161 109,826 10-12-2014 02:40 PM
Last Post: Dickagon
  Antonio Margarito Retires Romulus9 18 10,860 06-09-2012 02:28 AM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club
  FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR: "LIL FLOYD WILL RUN PACQUIAO OUT O Method 14 10,945 12-15-2011 02:40 PM
Last Post: Dickagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)