Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Pound 4 Pound the top current heaviest hitter in Boxing.
08-01-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: Pound 4 Pound the top current heaviest hitter in Boxing.
Tyson didn't need to be put in a P4P discussion. Everyone knew that he had dynamite in his fists, and was the most fearsome puncher in the world. Everyone knew he would've taken out any and every fighter below heavyweight.

P4P came about as a way to say that Sugar Ray Robinson was the best fighter in the world, even if he would've gotten creamed by Rocky Marciano.

I don't have a huge problem with people who add heavyweights to the P4P discussion, but most of the time it just seems redundant. Everyone knows they hit harder than middleweights already.

Damarvelous1,

No doubt Wilder hits like a truck. I don't know about every fight being highlight worthy though. His footwork is atrocious. I don't remember how many times I've seen him falling down after clubbing some bum with a hard shot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 05:39 PM
(08-01-2014 04:57 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Warlord,
I took that into consideration and I know Wilder doesn't have a great resume but he punches like a mule. The fact that he's KO'd everybody he's fought within 3 rounds is pretty impressive despite his alck of a resume. Every one of his KO's have been Highlight reel worthy and most come by way of a One Punch KO. He removes guys from this world... dudes be having seizures and shit. GGG is up there but I don't think he quite hits as hard as Wilder (in a P4P sense). However, GGG is BY FAR the better fighter and will be around a lot longer.

I'll slightly disagree with the GGG part. If you look closely you will see how a guys face and whole demeanor changes after GGG hits them with a grazing shot. I have seen it in the last few fights, guys start quite confidently and then GGG clips them with something kind of innocuous looking and their whole body language and fight plan changes almost on the spot.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
08-01-2014, 05:59 PM
If wilder was fighting better opponents I don't think he'd get knockouts. They wouldn't get caught with the wild bullshit he throws. Golovkin hits hard against anybody.
08-01-2014, 09:03 PM
GGG or Kovalev at the moment.
08-01-2014, 09:13 PM
(08-01-2014 05:59 PM)gravytrain Wrote:  If wilder was fighting better opponents I don't think he'd get knockouts. They wouldn't get caught with the wild bullshit he throws. Golovkin hits hard against anybody.

See, I followed Naseem Hamed coming up, and people said the same thing about him. The key to Hamed's success against better opponents was his jab, which he threw from a number of different angles. If Wilder works on the jab, he'll be knocking out top heavyweights over the next five years, starting with Stiverne.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Hamed was better than Wilder. Wilder was getting outboxed by Audley Harrison. He can land a shot on overmatched guys and throw wild ass punches until he stops them or punches himself off of his feet. When his power can't carry him in a fight he'll have nothing.
08-01-2014, 10:07 PM
See, but when you fight for the knockout, you don't fight to win rounds. Mike Tyson swung wildly at Frans Botha for four-and-a-half rounds, and people said he had the wrong strategy. I say he had the right strategy, because one of those wild shots finally connected, and he finished Botha with little trouble.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
08-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Tyson had better everything than Wilder in that fight. Tyson could still box. His footwork, defense and jab was still good. Wilder doesn't really have any of that.
08-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't remember Tyson throwing too many jabs against Botha, or doing much boxing. He just walked forward and lobbed shots.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
08-01-2014, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 11:26 PM by damarvelous1.)
See, I think Wilder is shit! He's a terrible boxer and an overrated athlete (as Warlord point out his feet). The only reason why he's gotten this far is because he can punch. I like Kovalev and GGG and think that they both a great fighters that can punch! IMO there right behind Wilder in punching power. However, at the moment, I feel that Wilder is the hardest puncher in the sport right now for reasons I have already stated. I don't think he'll beat any of the top heavyweights but the boy can flat out punch.

I assume were talking 1 punch power, correct?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pound 4 Pound rankings Fitz 172 25,458 01-01-2021 07:51 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Best current jabs in boxing. ViperSniper 9 4,643 10-19-2020 02:05 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  The definition of "pound for pound" champion Byrd Man 14 9,050 12-07-2018 03:45 AM
Last Post: JONdaCON

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)