Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Saul Alvarez back at HBO.
12-03-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: Saul Alvarez back at HBO.
I can't see Cotto taking that unless he gets some money.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 04:17 PM
(09-23-2014 10:56 PM)Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:  Remember back in 07-09 when GBP and Arum were working together and we had a slew of good competitive fights including JMM-Pacquiao II, Cotto-Mosley, Mosley-Margarito, Pacquiao-Hatton etc? Hopefully we see something similar here.

Mosley-Margarito and Pacquiao-Hatton were about the furthest thing away from competitive as you can get.
12-03-2014, 04:25 PM
(12-03-2014 03:46 PM)Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:  http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-reveal...tto--84901

Apparently Alvarez wants a catchweight of 155 pounds for the Cotto fight. I hope that this is just a rumor because I like Alvarez and I fucking hate catchweights. This would not fall in exactly the same category of what Mayweather did to him, since I think Alvarez struggled to make the 152 pound catchweight, while Cotto can still make 154. Still, I see it as a diva move and I am really tired of these guys refusing to fight within the real classes.

I think you're being generous with the word "diva". It's a chickenshit move and it should be bolded on the winner's resume - that should be the price for it.

Fortunately Cotto is way too smart and too rich to fall for it, but Arum could figure that it's his last fight anyway so he probably doesn't care who wins one way or another as long as he gets paid. And maybe Arum even gets a little more for Cotto's compromise, so who knows?
12-03-2014, 04:59 PM
(12-03-2014 04:17 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 10:56 PM)Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:  Remember back in 07-09 when GBP and Arum were working together and we had a slew of good competitive fights including JMM-Pacquiao II, Cotto-Mosley, Mosley-Margarito, Pacquiao-Hatton etc? Hopefully we see something similar here.

Mosley-Margarito and Pacquiao-Hatton were about the furthest thing away from competitive as you can get.

I meant that they were good,competitive matchups going in.

Sal, do you think that this would be Cotto's last fight? I can see that happening since he often talks about not wanting to get beat up so that he'll be able to enjoy his life and his family but should he beat Alvarez, then his stock would be as high as ever and knowing boxers, passing on big fights and big money isn't easy to do.

And I agree, diva is too generous a term. He was doing a lot of things right by fighting Trout and Lara despite GBP's objections but this tarnishes his image a little bit.
12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm surprised he wants that big of a catchweight since neither of them is really on a higher level than the other. If anything I'd edge it to Cotto.
12-03-2014, 05:15 PM
(12-03-2014 04:59 PM)Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 04:17 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  

I meant that they were good,competitive matchups going in.

Sal, do you think that this would be Cotto's last fight? I can see that happening since he often talks about not wanting to get beat up so that he'll be able to enjoy his life and his family but should he beat Alvarez, then his stock would be as high as ever and knowing boxers, passing on big fights and big money isn't easy to do.

And I agree, diva is too generous a term. He was doing a lot of things right by fighting Trout and Lara despite GBP's objections but this tarnishes his image a little bit.

Right now I like Canelo's resume more than any young fighter and possibly as much as just about any current fighter short of Cotto just because of the Trout and Lara fights. This chickenshit move doesn't sound right. It almost has to be DLH's attempt at negotiating with Arum.

I can't say that Cotto won't ever get in the ring with Golovkin because his resume speaks for itself, but at the same time Cotto doesn't have much to gain there versus what he has to lose so I hope he never takes that fight. That means Alvarez is his last realistic megafight.

That said, if he beats Canelo and then decides to get in the ring with GG I might have to mortgage my house for a front row ticket. I hope he doesn't put me in that position!
12-04-2014, 11:40 AM
catchweight is kinda funny considering the reality is alverez is the bigger guy
12-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Canelo is a little bigger but I think Cotto's experience will kill that. He looks sharp with Roach too. He might be a little too green for Cotto right now. I'd rather see him fight Floyd at 160. Floyd might lose that one
12-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I really have no desire to see Floyd at 160 (other than to increase the likelihood of him losing). He's not a 160 pounder, not even a 154 pounder.

Thinking back to most former greats that bumped up to middleweight toward the end of their careers, the majority of them were 5'10" - 5-11" dudes that started their career above the 130 pounds that Mayweather started at.

At 5'8" and still capable of easily making 147 any day of the week, it just seems pointless for me for Floyd to fight at 160.
12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Well if they rematch would you rather see Floyd fight the mw champ at 160 or Cotto have to come in light, probably 155?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Saul Alvarez vs Austin Trout - The Future of Boxing Starts Now! Nay_Sayer 99 83,775 05-29-2013 06:07 PM
Last Post: jlupi
  Kirkland vs Saul Alvarez boxingcritic 41 22,900 06-01-2012 12:52 PM
Last Post: BrutalBodyShots
  Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Shane Mosley Romulus9 117 67,078 05-12-2012 06:29 PM
Last Post: Dickagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)