Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011
11-20-2011, 05:41 AM
I selected a variety of significant key victories in the last 10 years that stood out to me. Please throw in any forgotten or honorable mentions!

Barrera-Hamed
Tszyu-Judah
Hopkins-Trinidad
Forrest-Mosley I
Jones-Ruiz
Taylor-Hopkins I
Pavlik-Taylor I
Barrera-Morales III
Pacquaio-Barrera I
Morales-Pacquaio I
Tarver-Jones II
Hatton-Tszyu
Mayweather-Hatton
Pacquaio-Hatton
Mosley-Margarito
Hopkins-Pavlik
Marquez-Diaz II
Martinez-Williams II
Donaire-Montiel
Hopkins-Pascal II
Other..

The best may possibly be Hopkins-Trinidad, Mosley-Margarito being the most impressive victory out of the lot and Tszyu-Judah & Forrest-Mosley I being one of my personal favourites!

Which victory do yous have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2011, 05:59 AM
I'd say Bernard Hopkins over Pascal is up there....I don't think Pascal is that great at all...but still a good champion. Considering Hopkins age though and the fact that he beat the Man who had just beaten the man..and winning dominantly in the rematch, totally schooling Pascal, I'd have it in my top 5.

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Hopkins-Tito
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Great list Sniper! The only fights I don't think belong with the others are Calzaghe-Hopkins because that wasn't a dominating performance, and Jones-Ruiz because beating Ruiz means dick.

I voted Tarver-Jones 2. That was the HOLY SHIT moment for me. Roy was superman, even after struggling in their first go.

Hopkins-Trinidad was the other one I'd say that ranks right at the top.
11-21-2011, 02:01 AM
I voted Hopkins-Tito.

Hopkins is also up there and could also have voted for the Pavlik, Tarver and Pascal fights. Hopkins has had the most big good wins as well IMO.
11-21-2011, 05:51 AM
I personally think that Morales win over Pac is as good as it gets. I mean he pushed his shit in like he was Puppet in American Me. This guys was winning so easily he switched to southpaw multiple times to to rub it in.

Tszyu-Judah
Hopkins-Trinidad

Were to decide the undisputed champion in that weight class with both fighters holding belts. Two pretty special events & both Tszyu & Hopkins became undisputed the hard way by winning each belt in induvidual fights.
11-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Big Slim Wrote:Great list Sniper! The only fights I don't think belong with the others are Calzaghe-Hopkins because that wasn't a dominating performance, and Jones-Ruiz because beating Ruiz means dick.

I voted Tarver-Jones 2. That was the HOLY SHIT moment for me. Roy was superman, even after struggling in their first go.

Hopkins-Trinidad was the other one I'd say that ranks right at the top.

Calzaghe-Hopkins I was reluctant due to the fact of how many people still give it to B-Hop! I personally think Calzaghe won a very clear decision! It may not be a favourite to many, but who else other than Roy Jones has beatin Hopkins the way Calzaghe did? Wasn't because Hopkins was 'old' either! Both were at the top of their games at the time being p4p fighters! It is a pretty big win but like most of Joe's later victories it goes under the radar.

As for Jones-Ruiz! You can't totally dismiss that win due to that reason alone lol! lol

People try to take away from Roy's historic win by saying it wasn't against Lennox Lewis! That's asking for too much! Ruiz was one of the top fighters in the division giving many hassels around him. Roy originally being a Middleweight moves up 2 division by putting close to 20 pounds of muscle to fight a Heavyweight who still out weighed him by over 30 pounds!! That is a massive accomplishment on it's own.

I think Jones-Ruiz really does have a strong argument for being one of the single best wins in the last decade!
11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
ViperSniper Wrote:People try to take away from Roy's historic win by saying it wasn't against Lennox Lewis! That's asking for too much!
Not really. Roy was saying he was the baddest man around & Lewis told him to come take a beating. Roy wanted $100M for the fight which he knew he was never going to get.

The belt he won of Ruiz has less fibre than my leavings yesterday morning after a night of junk food. RJJ got a good win over a top 5 contender. Not the first middleweight to do so nor the last I would suggest. I know you are a Roy fan but those are the cold hard facts Viper.
11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
STEVENSKI Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:People try to take away from Roy's historic win by saying it wasn't against Lennox Lewis! That's asking for too much!
Not really. Roy was saying he was the baddest man around & Lewis told him to come take a beating. Roy wanted $100M for the fight which he knew he was never going to get.

The belt he won of Ruiz has less fibre than my leavings yesterday morning after a night of junk food. RJJ got a good win over a top 5 contender. Not the first middleweight to do so nor the last I would suggest. I know you are a Roy fan but those are the cold hard facts Viper.

lol Come on STEVENSKI!!

I don't take ANYTHING away from a Light Heavyweight not moving up to fight Lennox fuckin Lewis straight off the bat. I do however give a Light Heavyweight a fuck load of credit for moving up to Heavyweight to beat John Ruiz over 12 rounds that clearly, who was a belt holder and considered one of the best around!!

Roy added 18 pounds to fight Ruiz who out weighed any of Roy's previous opponents by over 40 pounds!! Ruiz was capable of giving hassles to most Heavies around him and here Roy comes along 2 divisions up, with no tune ups, no catchweights or nothing and easily outboxed John Ruiz fair and square over 12 rounds! Circumstances alone this is a great win for Roy!
11-21-2011, 08:00 AM
ViperSniper Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:

lol Come on STEVENSKI!!

I don't take ANYTHING away from a Light Heavyweight not moving up to fight Lennox fuckin Lewis straight off the bat. I do however give a Light Heavyweight a fuck load of credit for moving up to Heavyweight to beat John Ruiz over 12 rounds that clearly, who was a belt holder and considered one of the best around!!

Roy added 18 pounds to fight Ruiz who out weighed any of Roy's previous opponents by over 40 pounds!! Ruiz was capable of giving hassles to most Heavies around him and here Roy comes along 2 divisions up, with no tune ups, no catchweights or nothing and easily outboxed John Ruiz fair and square over 12 rounds! Circumstances alone this is a great win for Roy!
I don't disagree with what you are saying I am just saying for a former middleweight to step up & beat a heavyweight contender is a great achievement but not something that has not been done before.

Does it rank up with Bob Fitzsimmons beating Jim Corbett? I don't think so I tend to rate it in the same class as Mickey Walkers draw against Jack Sharkey although I think that is a greater achievement than what Roy did when everything is taken into consideration.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,518 12-21-2011 01:03 PM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,171 12-19-2011 06:37 PM
Last Post: JONdaCON
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 16 11,832 11-21-2011 01:08 PM
Last Post: EAlbian

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)