Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011
11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Picked out a bunch of upsets/surprises taken place in the last 10 years of boxing. Sure there are plenty I've missed so by all means add them if you feel they need a mention! Here's some surprises that I've come up with from 01'-11'...

Hopkins-Trinidad
Forrest-Mosley I
Mayorga-Forrest I
Pacquaio-Barrera I
Raheem-Morales
Maussa-Harris
Hatton-Tszyu
Tyson-Williams
Tarver-Jones II
Johnson-Jones
Baldomir-Judah
Calzaghe-Lacy
Taylor-Hopkins I
Pavlik-Taylor I
Pacquaio-De La Hoya
Pacquaio-Hatton
Hopkins-Pavlik
Mosley-Margarito
Martinez-Williams II
Green-Jones
Other..

Which one(s) do you dudes have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
For me the biggest, simply because it wasn't altered by one big punch, but was just a brutal beatdown, was Pac V DLH. That is one outcome I would have never guessed in a million years of following this sport.

I also thought Jones V Tarver and Forrest V Mosley (a lot of scribes and even a ref who had seen all the Sugars in action, were calling Shane possibly the greatest going into this fight), were a couple of the larger surprises for me. Both Jones and Mosley were P4P #1s at the time of these defeats, and the fact they were both brutal, made it even that much more of a shock to me.

Just for some amusement, I remember nearly getting into a fight at the bar I was watching Forrest V Mosley 1 at, because a drunken idiot sitting next to me kept calling Mosley a bum all the way through the fight after that brutal combination put him on the seat of his pants.
11-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Put me down for Hasim Rahman over Lennox Lewis.
11-20-2011, 09:09 AM
JD Wrote:Put me down for Hasim Rahman over Lennox Lewis.

Good one!

I took a good friend of mine to that fight, the first fight he went to live (he was English), woops! Needless to say, he doesn't come watch fights live with me often anymore! Wink
11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I know these are recent and not megafights, but

Kirkland-Ishida
Lopez-Salido

were both pretty shocking.
11-20-2011, 05:39 PM
It was a toss up between DLH-Pacquiao and RJJ-Tarver II for me. I voted for DLH-Pacquiao, though I think RJJ was pretty close, but was definitely more of a shock to me to see RJJ laid out. Wasn't expecting it to go like that. Very close to split those 2 for me.
11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
The Kostya Tszu "no mass-age" was pretty shocking.

I voted Forrest/Mosley, though I don't have any strong conviction on that one over any of the others you guys are discussing.

Tarver/Jones was pretty shocking too, but I guess I didn't pick it because to me it was a little less shocking since I had already saw 12 competitive rounds w these two.
11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Method Wrote:The Kostya Tszu "no mass-age" was pretty shocking.

I voted Forrest/Mosley, though I don't have any strong conviction on that one over any of the others you guys are discussing.

Tarver/Jones was pretty shocking too, but I guess I didn't pick it because to me it was a little less shocking since I had already saw 12 competitive rounds w these two.
That's how I felt about Jones. The result wasn't entirely shocking, but the way it unfolded certainly was for me.
11-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah...I mean, he did get fucking STARCHED.
11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Rahman-Lewis. Just as far as skills go. The only reason Lewis lost because he was not prepared. Period. It was a still huge upset.

Jones-Tarver II was also a huge upset, especially how it unfolded. I will go to my grave saying Roy was going to put a horrific beating on Tarver that night. Tarver just landed that "lucky" left which ruined Roy.

Forrest-Mosley was no upset. Anyone who knew Forrest and his pedigree should have known he could beat Mosley. Mosley had the name and hype going in, Forrest was just unknown by many casuals. He beat Mosley twice as amateurs and was a undefeated beast as a welterweight. He just needed his shot.

Hopkins-Trinidad was no upset either. It's funny because the week of Pac-JMM III everybody at work was talking boxing. And 3 separate Puerto Ricans were talking to me about the Tito-Hops fight. ALL 3 of them does not understand why Trinidad did nothing against Hopkins and kind of think it was fixed to an extent. LOL. Still giving Hopkins no credit and not truly understanding boxing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,518 12-21-2011 01:03 PM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,172 12-19-2011 06:37 PM
Last Post: JONdaCON
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 24 17,281 11-24-2011 03:21 AM
Last Post: STEVENSKI

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)