Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
11-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Sounds like they're only having 2 episodes this time?

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Method Wrote:Hahahahaha. Yeah. Its becoming too familiar w the same guys being there time after time after time. I blame it squarely on that.

I like 4 episodes though. They should include more fight event related stuff, like the press tours, signings, crap w the promoters...whatever. Whatever to give the event that you'll actually be paying for, more flavor.

Yeh, I'd like to see more of the sparring and training also.

The writer of the voice overs script is top drawer, but I have also noticed a few repeated lines.
Find all posts by this user
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
salvador Wrote:I'm of the opinion that most 24/7s should be one episode - especially with fighters who have been profiled so many times. The narrator is starting to run out of things to say to give each episode gravity.

"Once again, they head towards each other and towards boxing's violent epicenter of the unknown."
I agree, I mean how many times can they film a slo-mo of a guy running over the hills at sunrise?

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN Wrote:Sweet, glad to know I can go fuck myself Wink

I do agree that the trainer is a piece of shit, and him playing dumb is terrible. I still don't believe Margarito knew those were in his gloves, and still believe he did it only for the Mosley fight. He had a lot of issues going into the Mosley fight, and Capetillo knew that. He had a really hard time with the weight in that fight, and probably overlooked Mosley a little bit. The trainer knew that Margarito was his payday and put some shit on the wraps. In this interview, Capetillo basically admits to doing it. I know what he said on 24/7, but he basically admits it here... http://www.aolnews.com/2010/11/11/javier...illegal-w/

When wrapping hands, trainers have an extra padding of gauze which is already made. Stich Duran did this, and even my amateur trainers did this on me, so I'm fairly sure this is common practice. I think that piece of shit trainer put something in that padding, that Margarito was unaware of. He didn't think it would actually fall out, but it did. I know I'm in the minority with this, and have debated this for the past two years with everybody, so it's all good.

He had no reason to use loaded wraps against Cotto. Everybody knew that Cotto couldn't take pressure or fight backing up. He took a lot of body shots, you'd think he'd have some cracked ribs if Tony really had bricks in those glvoes. Nah, no cracked ribs. Cotto simply got tired, and wore down as the fight went on. It's going to happen again. There is no proof that he used illegal wraps in the Cotto fight besides an assumption that since his trainer had a breakdown in one fight that he's done it his whole career.

I hope Margarito breaks Cotto down again and stops him even more brutally this time. Then, since Margarito is this huge dick that HBO wants to make him out to be on 24/7, he should take the glove off and put his wraps about an inch from Cotto's swollen eyes. On the real, they're really portraying Tony as the villian and shit. I remember when he fought Pacquiao they showed Margarito's family and all that good natured stuff. They only doing that for Cotto in this one. Fuck HBO's little star though, Jim Lampley can cry again after this fight.
Kyle I actually agree with you and think Margarito will win BIG in the rematch. And I guess with no concrete (pun intended) proof you can argue that the Mosley fight was the only fight he woe those wraps but deep deep down so you believe that?

They are portraying Tony as the villain because the cunt tried to enter the boxing ring against Shane Mosley wearing fucken concrete in his gloves. By rights this palooka shouldn't even have a boxing licence and instead he is about to enjoy another million dollar payday and if he wins, as I suspect he will, will go on to enjoy a couple more big purses. Your sympathy is misplaced.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
11-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
I understand I'm in the minority completely with my thoughts. I'm not going to tell people they're 100% wrong in thinking Margarito has been using illegal wraps his entire career. I get the assumption, and that's fine. However, if he'd really been using illegal wraps his entire career, don't you think somebody would have caught it before 2009. I mean, if he really used it for other fights, there's a larger issue at hand. That issue is the competency of the state athletic commissions, and how something like that doesn't get detected.

I truly don't belive he used plaster in his match with Cotto in 2008. Styles make fights, and Margarito's style will always be wrong for Cotto. Cotto would have had broken ribs and worse facial damage (imo) if Margarito had tainted wraps. Cotto had also been cut against Mosley. Judah also busted his lip pretty good, so it's not like Cotto was never cut up before that fight. I believe there would have been worse damage to Cotto if there were tainted wraps. When they actually wiped the blood from Cotto after the 10th round of the first fight, there wasn't that terrible of swelling and he could see fine. Somebody from the commission watched Margarito get his hands wrapped, and probably somebody from Cotto's team was their too. Of course, that's he say/she say bullshit at this point.

I think Capetillo was scared of losing his payday, as I pointed out in my last post. He knew Tony had a shitty training camp for Mosley and wasn't ready. He barley made the weight and wasn't going to be the same fighter that night. Capetillo is a piece of shit and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a boxing gym. However, you place touches of calcium and sulphate on the wraps without a fighter knowing. That "brick" Richardson apparantely saw was never presented to the lab or commission. I think Capetillo placed calcium and sulphate on the pre-made gauze pad. When I fought, I never really thought about what's on the wraps. The only thing a fighter should be worried about is if the wraps are tight enough or too tight. I'm 99% sure Margarito's focus was on the fight that night, and not on any differences in how the wraps felt compared to other fights.

I don't think I sound naive in this reasoning. However, I do realize how most see the issue. Gravy, you mention I'm ignoring facts. What facts are out there that prove he used illegal acts against Cotto? I'm not denying the trainer didn't try to do it against Mosley, which would be ignoring facts.

Ollie, to be honest, I don't think HBO gives two shits about what happened in 2009. They just want to sell the fight and get more PPV buys. Portraying him as the villian gives people something to root against and people will buy to see him get beat up. They didn't do this when they had 24/7 Pac-Margarito. They even made light of it a little bit for the Pac fight.

As for getting pissed off Lil Lightsout, no worries. I'm not going to get pissed off over message board shit. This fight will always be a question mark to fans, regardless of what happens next Saturday night. Cotto getting beaten up or putting on a boxing lesson makes no difference with how the result from 2008 is viewed. Either way, I'm super psyched for this match next weekend and hope it's the fight of the year. Obviously, I have my rooting interest, but in all seriousness, I hope Cotto puts in a solid effort.
11-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN Wrote:Ollie, to be honest, I don't think HBO gives two shits about what happened in 2009. They just want to sell the fight and get more PPV buys. Portraying him as the villian gives people something to root against and people will buy to see him get beat up. They didn't do this when they had 24/7 Pac-Margarito. They even made light of it a little bit for the Pac fight.
Duh! You don't say. They are a business of course they are gonna use it to sell the event, that's their job! For the record I think he may have started using them after the Williams loss.

11-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
and the NEW Wrote:
Method Wrote:Hahahahaha. Yeah. Its becoming too familiar w the same guys being there time after time after time. I blame it squarely on that.

I like 4 episodes though. They should include more fight event related stuff, like the press tours, signings, crap w the promoters...whatever. Whatever to give the event that you'll actually be paying for, more flavor.

Yeh, I'd like to see more of the sparring and training also.

The writer of the voice overs script is top drawer, but I have also noticed a few repeated lines.
I heard it was the guy that played "Sabertooth" in the X-Men movie.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
gravytrain Wrote:
TheFonz Wrote:I wish they would have spent more time with Cotto's trainer.

some people thought it's a bad move to leave Manny for the fight but i don't mind his new trainer. he's inexperienced at the pro level but coming out of the Cuban system he's really going to have a good understanding of boxing. the real question is if knowing amateur boxing can translate to doing something in the pros. all i know is Cotto is going to be ready conditioning wise, i think the Cubans use about the same system as the Soviet system so this cat was working with fighters probably 350 days out of the year for every year he ran the national team and then the same amount of time with the younger or lower profile teams.
I agree. From the get go I liked Cotto leaving Manny for this Cuban trainer. I liked watching Cotto hitting the mitts with him. I thought it was slick how he constantly pressed Cotto while hitting the mitts simulating pressure from Margs. Watching Cotto's footwork was impressive. Sure it was only on mitts but if he stays calm and does not get lured into a slug fest, he is going to bust Margs up. The key is to not load up early on and pace himself and box.

I am getting pretty pumped for this fight! I would not be surprised to see Margs eye be a cause of a shitty stoppage. Hopefully be will get no controversial ending to this fight. Just a clear winner.

I wonder if after the fight regardless who wins, will these two guys embrace and show respect?

If Cotto wins, will we get a trilogy?

Does Cotto have the firepower to get a KO/TKO?
11-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Margarito had less reason to wrap against Cotto than Mosley????

Miguel Cotto was a young, primed, undefeated fighter who was one of the best around at the time and was known for his power punching and his body work! The dude didn't know how to lose back then!

Mosley??? Shane Mosley had been labeled 'shot' for years and was coming off a horrible performance against Mayorga and was moving down in division to make the fight happen!

Yet Margarito didn't find any need to wrap in the biggest fight of his life at the time against an undefeated Cotto, yet found the necessaries to wrap in his very next fight against ol' Mosley??

This doesn't add up to me!
11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
I think with this fight the story speaks for itself!

This has been one of the better 24/7 series so far. It's nice to see someone different on it other than those two annoying p4p faces on it all the time!

I wish they could show more training footage..can never get enough of it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread SKULLSPLITTER 315 189,574 12-10-2011 10:00 AM
Last Post: Method
  Cotto vs Margarito II Face off clip boxingcritic 55 35,461 12-05-2011 11:24 PM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo
  COTTO VS MARGARITO Method 1 2,628 12-04-2011 06:39 AM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)