Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
11-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Im w Kyle on this.

Thomas Hauser had some real good insight into the "wraps" and what was actually found.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
salvador Wrote:I'm of the opinion that most 24/7s should be one episode - especially with fighters who have been profiled so many times. The narrator is starting to run out of things to say to give each episode gravity.

"Once again, they head towards each other and towards boxing's violent epicenter of the unknown."
I agree, I mean how many times can they film a slo-mo of a guy running over the hills at sunrise?
that's funny.
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:For the record I think he may have started using them after the Williams loss.
That's when I think he started using them as well. Up until that point Margarito was not the murderous puncher a lot of people remember him as. He was just guy who put on a shit ton of pressure and threw 100+ punches a round. AM hit Williams with a lot of clean shots and nothing happened. Then after that he blows out Golden Johnson in a round, brutalizes Cintron in their rematch (administering a FAR worse beating than their first fight, which was more the result of Cintron's emotional deficiencies than anything else), and then of course goes on to massacre Cotto.

As avoided as Margs was back then I think he and/or his team got spooked by the loss to Williams and the possibility of never getting the big payday so they took matters into their own hands. Literally.

I suppose whether Margarito knew about it or not will always be up for debate, though personally I don't see how he couldn't have.

Snoop Wrote:I heard it was the guy that played "Sabertooth" in the X-Men movie.
Liev Schreiber.
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
It makes ZERO sense to beat down that version of Miguel Cotto in your career biggest fight without wraps, only to decide you need to use them against that version of Shane Mosley. If i'm Tony and I just did that to an undefeated Miguel Cotto, you best believe that I watch Mosley v Mayorga and feel supremely confident.

We will most likely never know the truth, but I dont need anyone to tell me, so confident am I in this logic.
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Lil-Lightsout Wrote:
gravytrain Wrote:
TheFonz Wrote:I wish they would have spent more time with Cotto's trainer.

some people thought it's a bad move to leave Manny for the fight but i don't mind his new trainer. he's inexperienced at the pro level but coming out of the Cuban system he's really going to have a good understanding of boxing. the real question is if knowing amateur boxing can translate to doing something in the pros. all i know is Cotto is going to be ready conditioning wise, i think the Cubans use about the same system as the Soviet system so this cat was working with fighters probably 350 days out of the year for every year he ran the national team and then the same amount of time with the younger or lower profile teams.
I agree. From the get go I liked Cotto leaving Manny for this Cuban trainer. I liked watching Cotto hitting the mitts with him. I thought it was slick how he constantly pressed Cotto while hitting the mitts simulating pressure from Margs. Watching Cotto's footwork was impressive. Sure it was only on mitts but if he stays calm and does not get lured into a slug fest, he is going to bust Margs up. The key is to not load up early on and pace himself and box.

I am getting pretty pumped for this fight! I would not be surprised to see Margs eye be a cause of a shitty stoppage. Hopefully be will get no controversial ending to this fight. Just a clear winner.

I wonder if after the fight regardless who wins, will these two guys embrace and show respect?

If Cotto wins, will we get a trilogy?

Does Cotto have the firepower to get a KO/TKO?

i agree with you on that. that and his trainer is just going to know how to get a fighter in shape for a fight. Cotto's stamina was a big issue for the first fight too, if he can keep boxing round after round he'll have a lot of success against Margacheato. he really doesn't need a stoppage to win this, if he wins this by stoppage i think it'll be a RTD or something because of Marg's eye.

ViperSniper Wrote:Margarito had less reason to wrap against Cotto than Mosley????

Miguel Cotto was a young, primed, undefeated fighter who was one of the best around at the time and was known for his power punching and his body work! The dude didn't know how to lose back then!

Mosley??? Shane Mosley had been labeled 'shot' for years and was coming off a horrible performance against Mayorga and was moving down in division to make the fight happen!

Yet Margarito didn't find any need to wrap in the biggest fight of his life at the time against an undefeated Cotto, yet found the necessaries to wrap in his very next fight against ol' Mosley??

This doesn't add up to me!

it's hard to say whether or not he used illegal wraps before Mosley. i do know that Marg became a guy that threw some wild uppercuts without worrying about catching elbows, one of the pads broke through the wraps for his Cotto fight and then he gets caught before the Mosley fight with illegal wraps. and once questions start getting asked about it it isn't like Capetillo and Marg will just come clean, they've to deny it and do what will let Marg fight again. and we're supposed to believe his trainer used one of his fighter's training pads by mistake? what would those pads be doing in his bag and why wouldn't the gauze look used if a fighter has been using them day after day in training? a hardened pad just slipping inside of a legal pad in your bag is a one in a million shot so that couldn't be what happened either.
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
I hope Cotto pelts the right side of his face until his eyeball is bulging out Toxic Avenger style...
11-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
One thing I noticed about the first Cotto/Margarito fight is that Margarito throws a LOT of punches. I don't feel Antonio has much power(hence the need for paper-mache hand wraps).

Second thing, I noticed was that Cotto was tagging him through out the fight. His punches seemed to have little or no effect on Margarito. I don't think Cotto will pull this one off, although I really want him to.
11-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Gandalf The Black Wrote:One thing I noticed about the first Cotto/Margarito fight is that Margarito throws a LOT of punches.
Margarito has always thrown a lot of punches and pushes about 100 per round. He just has a high work rate and was something he did well before the Cotto fight.
11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
Gravy, can't quote your post for some reason!?!

Personally I don't want to say for certain that Margarito DID wrap against Cotto, but when people suggest Margarito had more reasons to wrap for Mosley but NOT for Cotto doesn't make much sense to me!

Taking everything to account everyone has every right to assume when he DID start illegally wrapping his hands. I'm not sure when he started but if I HAD to lean towards weather he did or not against Cotto..many things point towards he did!

Agree with the idea that Cotto doesn't need to stop Marg to win, but needs to just box. Sure Cotto can go for the eye or to the body and stop Margarito like many would love to see. If Cotto can get his conditioning right he has a real shot of winning if he boxes for 12! Don't think Cotto will take this route as he will get too tempted or forced to trade.

Once he starts getting tagged I think things will start going down hill for Cotto.

Plaster or not, it's not like Cotto was stopped with one shot! He was stopped with an accumulation of shots because Margs work rate & also was still standing, moving forward and throwing after taking Cotto best shots.

Those very reasons will still apply going into the rematch!

Gandalf The Black Wrote:One thing I noticed about the first Cotto/Margarito fight is that Margarito throws a LOT of punches. I don't feel Antonio has much power(hence the need for paper-mache hand wraps).

Second thing, I noticed was that Cotto was tagging him through out the fight. His punches seemed to have little or no effect on Margarito. I don't think Cotto will pull this one off, although I really want him to.

See what you see!

I don't think Cotto winning is out of the question at all and really hope he can get his revenge..I just don't think it will be the case though!
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Cotto vs Margarito 24/7
This article about the "Warrior Code" is exactly why I think Cotto will lose. I think Margarito cheated on the first bout. Just my opinion.
Antonio's high punch output isn't really impressive to me. If he threw hard enough he wouldn't need to throw that many punches to do serious damage. Back to the article, click on Cotto/Marg it out:

Cotto/Marg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cotto-Margarito II PPV Discussion Thread SKULLSPLITTER 315 189,562 12-10-2011 10:00 AM
Last Post: Method
  Cotto vs Margarito II Face off clip boxingcritic 55 35,460 12-05-2011 11:24 PM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo
  COTTO VS MARGARITO Method 1 2,627 12-04-2011 06:39 AM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)