Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
04-03-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
I've never really ever been one for GOAT lists. Its not something I think about, I've given more thought to best left hooks, best chins....things like that...but I've never really sat and thought of my top 5-10 greatest HWs. So I don't know...you might be right in that....but overall bodies of work...there is no way I'll give the record Wlad has gained respect of the likes of Holyfield or Ali.

I will say that despite the lack of good comp, I'm more impressed with Wlad's championship reign than of Bowes. But that's about it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Wlad has no elite wins as there are no elite HWs. Not his fault but a few short years ago a old fat middleweight beats just about the entire division.
04-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Exactly! A concept that few care to admit or simply deny. Only in an era this shitty would you mention the likes of Thompson, Shultz and Imbragamov as noteworthy wins.

You take a glance at Lewis's record and after you mention the big names you mention the Mavorich's and Butlers...you don't lead in with them.....but that's because you have that option.....

Same can't be said of Wlad. But the guy can't help he became champ when the HW division basically died. Several of Wlad's would be noteworthy wins are most likely linebackers and basketball players now....that never stepped in the ring.

However with anything I suppose at some point quantity over quality will look the part of impressive. With the division continuing to be absolute shit for the foreseeable future....Wlad could potentially amass a 100-3 record.....and on paper that would look awesome. Because with the level of top ten HWs today....even as he gets older and by most clocks SHOULD retire.....due to his size and comp he can conceivably keep going until he's 50.
04-08-2015, 03:25 AM
There's no denying that Wlad's level of competition is much lesser than other great heavyweights.

But Wlad IS a great heavyweight. He is, for my money, easily in the top ten post WWII heavyweights of all time.

It is, however, the absolute lack of elite level competition for him that keeps him from being higher. His two best opponents, Haye and Povetkin, would be mere footnotes on the record of an Ali, Holyfield or even Lewis.

Black
04-08-2015, 06:13 AM
I think Wlad is a great much like black said, though competition has been lacking which isn't any of his fault.

He has improved and learned from his losses and now for a very long time, has been dominating the division with such ease.
04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Nobody really had a strong era until you hit the 60s-80s. Those were 20 years of good heavyweights. The 90s and early 2000s might have some nostalgia but there's also a good chance Wlad would've decisioned a lot of those guys. I don't like watching him too much but I can't see him losing to challenger type of guys from other eras. Against the better people from those eras they'd have to get in the ring and find out.
04-08-2015, 07:45 AM
The best heavyweight era in terms of competition and great fights was undoubtedly the first half of the 1970's, with Ali, Frazier and Foreman as the centrepieces but also with guys like Norton, Ellis, Bonavena and Quarry bringing up a competitive rear guard.

The late 1990's aren't far behind, with the triumvirate of Lewis, Tyson and Holyfield squaring off against each other.

Other terrific eras were the early 90's (Holy, Bowe, Moorer, old Foreman), the 50's (Walcott, Charles and Marciano) and the mid 60's (Patterson to Liston to Ali).

The worst periods I would say are the early 80's (Holmes dominating and the fatties passing around the other two belts), the mid 00's (Ruiz, Byrd and Rahman passing around cheap belts), the 40's (Louis smashing nondescript opposition) and, of course, the early 10's (Klit dominating a series of nobodies).

Black
04-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Yes Wlad has found some nondescript opposition for a very long time now, but one thing I will say is that he's completely dominated it. I can't think of a guy since Sam Peter 10 years ago that has won more than 1, maybe 2 rounds against Wlad.

Wlad's run for the last 10 years or so reminds me of Roy Jones' run between beating Toney and fighting Tarver. While it was a year or two shorter of a run, Jones was fighting similar competition to what Wlad has been fighting... basically the best a weak division had to offer but he was routinely dominating them rarely losing a round. Most look back at Jones' run at 175 years later and while it wasn't the greatest competition wise give him credit for pure domination... and I feel most will do the same with Wlad years after he's done beating up heavyweights.
04-08-2015, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 09:26 PM by TheTeddyBear.)
imagine if Vitally hadn't messed his shoulder up v Byrd and hadn't lost to Lewis do you think he would be considered an ATG or would his era have fucked him?

he's never been down on the cards ever

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
04-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Depends on who you asked, I guess. I'd still rank him in the top 20 all time, even though realistically I think he probably beats most of the guys that most would rank above him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Razor Ruddock Returns! Romulus9 13 8,861 05-12-2012 09:48 AM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)