Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
04-09-2015, 12:34 AM
RE: Donovan “Razor” Ruddock set for shock ring return
(04-08-2015 09:26 PM)TheTeddyBear Wrote:  imagine if Vitally hadn't messed his shoulder up v Byrd and hadn't lost to Lewis do you think he would be considered an ATG or would his era have fucked him?

he's never been down on the cards ever

I think THIS era would fuck over ANYBODY!!! I've always said a huge part of what makes some dismiss Wlad's accomplishments is the lack of opposition and also the lack of early round KOs.....but this division is so awful that I think even if a Tyson like guy was Koing these guys in a round or two....they would still not be given a lot of credit for having done so in a quick fashion.

Seriously....if you look at what was considered the worst in the early 80s...and compare those guys to todays....it's hard to argue how terrible today's HWs are.

I mean...Tubbs, Smith, Berbeck, Thomas, Page etc.....they were not world beaters by any means but they look like boxing gold compared to what I see now. The fact that a big fat ass lump like Andy Ruiz is close to breaking the top ten is awful.

Tubbs might have been chubby, but he was not morbidly obese like Ruiz....who has bigger tits than many of the ring card girls. lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't see how anyone can argue that today's heavyweights are as good/as deep as any other era.

Take Wlad out of the pack and you're left with David Haye, Alexander Povetkin and I just don't know who else being the cream of the crop. Now Haye IS a good fighter and could conceivably have nicked a title in the 90's or the 80's (but not held it long), but Povetkin would just be a fringe top ten contender in any other era.

And the rest of the recent pack (Tony Thompson, Kubrat Pulev, Chris Arreola, Bermane Stiverne, Ruslan Chagaev) just wouldn't figure in the top ten of any other era with maybe the exception of the mid 00's when Ruiz/Byrd/Rahman were holders and maybe Joe Louis would have gotten round to fighting them as one of his bum of the month club contenders.

I think just about every good-to-great heavyweight in history would have accomplished what Wlad has with this bunch (taking size out of the equation for a second).

Wlad's technique, power, size, skill and ringcraft is all still evident, however, and makes him one of the best heavyweights of the last 70 years.

Black
04-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I think he'd still win boring decisions. He might even be better in a different era with the better opposition, he'd have to fight harder to win than he does now.
04-10-2015, 12:28 AM
(04-09-2015 11:59 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I don't see how anyone can argue that today's heavyweights are as good/as deep as any other era.

Take Wlad out of the pack and you're left with David Haye, Alexander Povetkin and I just don't know who else being the cream of the crop. Now Haye IS a good fighter and could conceivably have nicked a title in the 90's or the 80's (but not held it long), but Povetkin would just be a fringe top ten contender in any other era.

And the rest of the recent pack (Tony Thompson, Kubrat Pulev, Chris Arreola, Bermane Stiverne, Ruslan Chagaev) just wouldn't figure in the top ten of any other era with maybe the exception of the mid 00's when Ruiz/Byrd/Rahman were holders and maybe Joe Louis would have gotten round to fighting them as one of his bum of the month club contenders.

I think just about every good-to-great heavyweight in history would have accomplished what Wlad has with this bunch (taking size out of the equation for a second).

Wlad's technique, power, size, skill and ringcraft is all still evident, however, and makes him one of the best heavyweights of the last 70 years.

Black

Spot on Black!

But you would be surprised how many people argue in defense of this current division. I've seen a few even go so far as to call it "exciting"????WTF???

I must be blind as I just cannot see it. Even the slug fests that get press are not as good as other eras....the recent ESPN fight with Arreola and the other fatass....although better than most HW fair that is offered nowadays....was STILL a slow brawl between two out of shape...at best...journeyman level guys....

And I've ALWAYS said BOTH Klits would be competitive in any era, just because of the attributes you mentioned...but being competitive and be dominating are two different things. I've always thought if you dropped both brothers in great divisions they would have a 50-50...win some lose some record. Maybe gain a strap or two and defend, but then lose it to a better HW. Maybe pick it up again....but to dominate the way they have with Bum after bum....

Nah....
04-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Some people only know this heavyweight division, most guys my age do. For them there could be some exciting fights. But to be honest most guys only watch Floyd or Pac. they just hear networks hyping guys up and buy into it.
04-10-2015, 11:30 AM
I think the division is due a change, though. Wlad will only be around for a limited time longer, either by finally getting old and losing or by retiring...and then the scramble for the belts will be pretty exciting. Even if you take Wilder and Fury out of the equation, the likes of Joseph Parker, Anthony Joshua and so on look like focused, determined and capable young contenders...the type that has been missing from the division for some years.

Black
04-10-2015, 11:56 AM
As soon as Wlad is gone all kinds of people will come out of the wood work

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
04-10-2015, 01:11 PM
(04-10-2015 11:56 AM)TheTeddyBear Wrote:  As soon as Wlad is gone all kinds of people will come out of the wood work

Some young kid called Justin Novaria will wind up fighting for the vacant IBF strap, I reckon.

Black
04-11-2015, 01:37 AM
(04-10-2015 11:30 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I think the division is due a change, though. Wlad will only be around for a limited time longer, either by finally getting old and losing or by retiring...and then the scramble for the belts will be pretty exciting. Even if you take Wilder and Fury out of the equation, the likes of Joseph Parker, Anthony Joshua and so on look like focused, determined and capable young contenders...the type that has been missing from the division for some years.

Black

You know I have mad love for Tyson Fury, Black (let's face it who doesn't??) and I was very impressed in how Hughie Fury came back from a long layoff and being a young kid to easily beat Rudenko but for some reason I'm just not buying into the Joshua hype at all. It's really only a feeling at this stage that I can't necessarily pinpoint but I get this whole Frank Bruno/Jeff Lacy vibe off of him.

I know every second fan and his dog in England has already anointed him the future of HW boxing but something feels a little off about him IMHO. I guess time will tell. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Dillian Whyte sometime in the next 12 months.

I agree though this division is gonna heat up really nicely within the next 24 months. Some good young fighters and diverse characters as well.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
04-11-2015, 02:15 AM
He's competing with the Fury brothers, Ollie. His career is over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Razor Ruddock Returns! Romulus9 13 8,861 05-12-2012 09:48 AM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)