Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Golovkin - Monroe Jr.
05-16-2015, 11:59 PM
RE: Golovkin - Monroe Jr.
(05-16-2015 11:57 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  Yeah I saw the weigh in pics and Golovkin did look physically good like he always does. I was just surprised to see him get winded in about 4 rounds and his punches as a result were slower than I'm used to seeing.

I think he may have just gotten a tad over excited the way you do when you're starring in a big drama show.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2015, 11:59 PM
(05-16-2015 11:51 PM)and the NEW Wrote:  I don't recall anybody saying he carried Monroe.

Golovkin himself said he carried him, and has implied that he's carried past opponents.

I don't buy it that he carried him though as it was clear in the 2nd he was doing everything he could to get Monroe out of there. Perhaps Golovkin got a little winded from all of that second round action and trying to finish off Monroe which could explain why he was a little flat in rounds 3 and 4.
05-17-2015, 12:34 AM
Yeah I think that's it: he got winded by trying to finish Monroe and giving the fans their present.

Still, at the end of the day, he prevented Monroe from boxing and made him stand in the middle of the ring and trade with him. That's to GGG's credit.

And Monroe definitely wanted out and rightly so. His legs were gone. Daniel Geale did the same thing against GGG last year.
05-17-2015, 09:15 AM
It kind of sucks that Golovkin got into the fight game so late having not gone pro until his mid 20's. He's 33 now and based on where he's at in his career as a rising star about to get that big name opponent you'd expect him to be 27 or 28. Realistically he's got what, maybe 4 or 5 years left of his physical prime unless he's got some Hopkins genes in his blood or something.

Golovkin's not stupid; he wants to fight Canelo ASAP as he has the advantage now. Canelo has shown improvement over the last couple of years, is young and will continue to get better. He'll also naturally fill out to 160 in time and be a solid middleweight. Canelo bumping up to 160 and facing Golovkin in his first "real" fight there would be a huge mountain to overcome. Canelo also isn't stupid; he said "When the day comes for me to move up to 160 I will face the best in the division." To me that doesn't sound like he plans on moving up before his body forces him to, and that it probably won't be in the near future.

I think he'll see Golovkin/Cotto before Golovkin/Canelo since Cotto's already there.
05-17-2015, 09:16 AM
I think Canelo is naturally bigger than GGG.

I was surprised how small Golovkin was when I stood next to him.
05-17-2015, 10:45 AM
GGG is a beast. Love to see him vs Cotto or Canelo!
05-17-2015, 11:08 AM
(05-17-2015 09:16 AM)JD Wrote:  I think Canelo is naturally bigger than GGG.

I was surprised how small Golovkin was when I stood next to him.

I'm surprised how small a lot of fighters are when you see them in person.

I wouldn't say Canelo is naturally bigger than Golovkin, but they are probably in the same realm. Golovkin's got a little more height and enters the ring in the lower 170's. I don't recall ever seeing Canelo's "unofficial" fight night weights since Showtime doesn't show them like HBO does, so I'm not sure what he usually enters the ring at. I'd guess upper 160's so not far off from Golovkin.

I think once Canelo does make the move to 160 he'll end up being bigger than Golovkin as a middleweight, but as of now I wouldn't say he's naturally bigger.
05-17-2015, 01:49 PM
I think Canelo is still filling out, whereas GGG is done.

This is the one shot I found of them next to each other:

Canelo is standing in front, so it does highlight that Golovkin is probably an inch or two taller. Tough to say really, I think we will only know when they are in a ring together. That said, I remember Canelo being around 175 on fight night for Angulo for some reason...don't quote me on that though.
05-17-2015, 01:57 PM
you guys need to understand that this is business. Canelo isn't going to get knocked out by Golovkiño and fuck everything up for himself and GBP, they want to take his career to the ppv level and getting stopped hurts that. But if Canelo was doing ppvs already I think he'd do an Oscar and fight him either way.
05-17-2015, 01:59 PM
(05-17-2015 01:49 PM)JD Wrote:  I think Canelo is still filling out, whereas GGG is done.

This is the one shot I found of them next to each other:

Canelo is standing in front, so it does highlight that Golovkin is probably an inch or two taller. Tough to say really, I think we will only know when they are in a ring together. That said, I remember Canelo being around 175 on fight night for Angulo for some reason...don't quote me on that though.

Canelo was 170 on fight night.

Angulo was 174.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)