Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Khan vs Algieri
06-04-2015, 05:48 AM
RE: Khan vs Algieri
(06-03-2015 10:35 AM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  My close circle of friends, say 5 or 6 guys along with me used to all be heavy into MMA (mostly UFC) about a decade ago. Once a lot of the names from back then (Chuck, Randy, Wanderlei, Dan Henderson, etc) started getting past their prime and losing to the newer crop of guys we sort of lost interest. Can't really say why. Back then one of us ALWAYS bought the PPV and we all went to that house and watched the fights. I was always more into boxing over MMA, but enjoyed both. All of them were into boxing less than me but still liked it; my house was always the place for boxing PPVs but they'd all come.

NONE of those guys watch UFC any more. We're all 30-somethings, maybe it's our age group? If it wasn't for me working at Buffalo Wild Wings I wouldn't ever see any MMA. Even when it's on, I'm not drawn to it the way I once was. All of them are into boxing more now than they were back then. Probably still not on the level of me, although my best friend is close now, but any of them would pick watching a good boxing match up over a UFC card now.

I don't know if my group of friends are the exception or the norm at this point, but just thought I'd share that change that happened in the last 10 years.

I was exactly the same. I used to watch all the big UFC events for a couple of years even though I still followed boxing a lot more (back in the days of GSP, BJ Penn and Anderson Silva's primes). Now I really couldn't give a fukc about it.

I think MMA only grew big as a fad and the ratings seem to be tapering off now. It did enough to get a solid fan base, but it has stopped well and truly as a niche sport. Boxing on the other hand always has that potential to go mainstream again, although that would require an Al Haymon type of venture really taking over and staying committed to network TV.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)