Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

UFC 202 Diaz/McGregor
08-21-2016, 10:29 AM
RE: UFC 202 Diaz/McGregor
I thought the judge who scored it 47-47 was the only sane judge in the building. No way Conor won that fight. He won 2 rounds at best. He won the 1st and 4th.

I actually thought Nate won the 2nd round, but with the knockdown and the scoring criteria being what it is, it should have been a 9-9 round, which is how the score of 47-47 was produced.

Nate won rounds 3 and 5 clearly, Conor 1 and 4. 2 was the decider, and once again shows why more judges need to start giving tie rounds. There is no way Conor deserved to win that round after getting beat up at the end. He was rocked and on queer street.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Pretty sure Dana's gonna make Connor give up the featherweight title unless he fights Jose this year. I don't see it happening. Third fight is great for N&C at 155. Winner fights Alvarez in probably ANOTHER full on classic. I'm hearing it's already being talked about for the November MSG card.

In other news, i heard Ronda said she's gonna fight before the end of the year. It's been quiet on her till last night. Nothing signed but i heard she called Dana and said she's ready for a camp. Maybe also in NYC?
08-23-2016, 06:52 AM
I thought Nate won the fight. Connor spent entire stretches in full retreat mode sort of like Cotto vs Margarito 1.

08-23-2016, 08:15 AM
I thought Nate won the fight too, from a pure fight perspective. Under Pride scoring, he would've won handily. Under the 10-point must system (which was designed for boxing and is a terrible way to score MMA), it should've been a draw. There's no way in hell Conor deserved to win, most especially by the scores he did.
08-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Are you really surprised that the UFC gave a fight to a superstar over some stoner cholo?
08-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Not at all. But to be fair, the UFC doesn't choose their own judges. The commission does. I think it's just another case of boxing judges being selected to score a sport they don't understand using a scoring system that was never designed for the sport they are judging.
08-23-2016, 07:10 PM
I thought it was a close fight. Rounds 2 and 4 were close. In Round 2, Conor dropped him twice and landed a lot of good strikes, and then Diaz came on strong at the end of the round and hurt Conor, but maybe not enough to win that round. I wanted Diaz to get the decision, but didn't expect him to. Most people around me thought Conor won. Great fuckin fight though!
08-24-2016, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 05:25 AM by ViperSniper.)
What is the criteria to scoring a MMA bout? I'm not gonna pretend I'm a UFC fan (although I have been watching the big names here & there since the Silva-Sonnen rematch) or that I know the sport either.
Do you score it based on damage, dictating, shots scored? What's the situation with takedowns, knockdowns, on mat wrestling?
I must have had my boxing goggles on because in terms of rounds scored I thought McGregor took it clearly 4-1 on the cards. Maybe 3-2.
But felt my cards did not reflect on how competitive the fight really was and how McGregor was more hurt & vulnerable throughout the fight but did more effective work and controlled most..

1st was alll McGregor, whereas Diaz didn't do anything. 2nd Diaz started landing a little but still had it for McGregor controlling the fight. 3rd was a MASSIVE Diaz round. Then the 4th and 5th McGregor was getting tagged but felt he contolled majority of the rounds.
08-24-2016, 11:30 AM
A draw or either guy winning by a point I was fine w. I am a casual MMA guy (big fights pretty much since Sonnen/Sylva (and then the big UFC fights at the very beginning of UFC). All that said, I know what I saw, just dont know scoring criteria. That said, I didnt think either of them won going away. Good fight.
08-24-2016, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2016 01:39 PM by JONdaCON.)
Well fucc, i just typed a 10 day long response just to watch it go to shit............ FUCC!

Ive watched MMA since birth... King of the cage, Pride, Dream, K1, EliteFC, WEC, Strikeforce, Bellator, etc... I've also trained in multiple disciplines.

Regarding scoring, MMA is under the 10 point must score system. 10 for the winner, 9 or below for the loser.

"Tallys"(as i call them) are awarded for striking, Octagon Control (similar to ring generalship but includes use of the cage), transitions(passing guards, going to side control, mounting, etc), getting in and out of submissions, and clinches (Greco Roman or Thai).

A judge would keep said Tally in his head and then score the round to the winner.

For example if a guy comes out and drops his opponent he'd be ahead, if said opponent took him down, essentially theyd be tied, once he advance into side control or a mount he'd be ahead.

The problem in MMA is that the scoring is far more subjective than boxing.. and since there are so many different variables to scoring a fight, there's no telling how the judge came up with awarding a round to the winner.

How hurt was he? He fell, was that a KD or is he baiting his opponent? How fast did he get up from the take down? How much damage has been done to legs? He attempted many submission but his opponent reversed some...

They should implement a points system similar to amateur boxing or taekwondo with single points awarded for Take Downs and points taken for KDs imo.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)