Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Acelino Freitas is back!
02-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Spyder Wrote:
Romulus9 Wrote:
Method Wrote:My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.
I get your point, really I do, but I also think that it's very cool that he was so insistent. It's a nice way to acknowledge the fans who recognize and support them.

I think it's sacrilege to go up and ask HIM to put the thing on. But for him to offer it, to go out of his way to present it? That's tremendous, and something I believe I'd have taken him up on.

And you're right. Those belts are a LOT heavier than they look (although the WBC belt tends to look like one of those plastic WWE belts that you can buy at K-Mart). The belts awarded to the state champions here in West Virginia are MUCH bigger and heavier than expected, and heavier than they appear. Hopefully one of the fighters I work with will be bringing one home at the end of March.
Weapon X?
Another fighter. I sort of 'consult' on some things from time to time.

He'd have won the damn thing last November but in one of those funny little things that happen in boxing, he came back to the corner after the first round, which he won, and said, "I can't feel my left arm."

Fantastic!

Then, the fight was stopped in an absolute horseshit TKO that mixed incompetence with the shady side of the sport that none of us like to fully acknowledge. Basically, a lackey referee that buddies up to the promoter (who is the promoter of the guy who was champion at the time) stopped the fight in a way that was unbelievable. I went crazy.

Rematch is set for March 31 in a venue about five minutes from my house.

Weapon X fights again on April 7 in Charleston, about 45 minutes north of here. THAT fight will not be in question. The opponent is either getting knocked straight the fuck out, or he's coming out of there battered, bleeding, bruised, and possibly with a stuttering problem that he didn't have when he stepped through the ropes. A message is going to be sent. Doing a nice behind the scenes documentary style look at the fight too, from the weigh-in to the backstage stuff to a ringside/corner view of the fight to the postfight stuff. Hopefully around an hour of stuff.

(Totally hijacked the thread but whatever. It's just Popo coming out of retirement to get beaten up for no reason.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Method Wrote:I bumped into Freitas at the PR Airport coming back from a little R&R (he was coming back from a sanctioning body convention) like 9 years ago.

My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.

I like Freitas, but Corrales beat his ass. He was on his motherfucking bike that night.
Steve Collins did the same to me. I wanted to say, "Nah, man, I got a belt of my own at home, I don't need to hold your shitty WBO strap."

It just feels weird holding someone else's belt. It's like holding their dick whilst they piss.

Black
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Method Wrote:I bumped into Freitas at the PR Airport coming back from a little R&R (he was coming back from a sanctioning body convention) like 9 years ago.

My chick got pretty cool pic of me and him shaking hands, and then dude broke out his belt and made me hold it (which I did NOT want to do). I dunno, I just felt somethin like that is sacred...like askin to ride another man's Harley. Its not yours. You didn't earn it. You dont have the right. But he was insistent. He wanted me to put it on, but I refused. Those belts have a lot more heft to them than you'd think. They're not lite.

I like Freitas, but Corrales beat his ass. He was on his motherfucking bike that night.
I love that story. He's always seemed to be the kind of fighter who was sincerely motivated by the glory as much as the money and it's nice to hear that he apparently enjoys sharing the glory with the fans.

Freitas was a lot like Gatti in that he didn't have the skills to compete with the top guys like Corrales, but he was still fun to watch. His fight with Barrios is all we ever need to know about him. The idea that he's coming back at 36 is almost as depressing as seeing JT coming back. God Bless them both.
02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Glad he's coming back. He and Casamayor have some unfinished business to settle. Should be a doozy.

Method Wrote:I like Freitas, but Corrales beat his ass. He was on his motherfucking bike that night.
One of my all-time favorite fights. I was leaping out of my seat cheering those last three rounds when Chico finally got him.
02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Freitas being back is not surprising in the least. Now if the headline were "Freitas is black", then I would be pretty damn shocked.
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Acelino Freitas is back!
I wonder if his bitch is still wearing those Do'Knockas.
02-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Acelino Freitas is back!
Is his opponent meant to be so untested that this meant to be a competitive fight here?

Freitas at 154??

Freitas-Barrios still one of my fav fights!

Aclieno Freitas was a very good boxer back then and was one of my favs up until his fights with Corrales & Diaz!

Hope he don't get hurt after a 5 year lay off!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)