Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Felix Trinidad-Paul Williams
03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Williams has countless flaws. Trinidad is much better, but Trinidad isn't a slick southpaw that boxes well. I don't draw any lines from how Williams looked with Quintana, Martinez and Lara to how he must look against an elite like Trinidad. Different fighters and those type of guys will make Williams look worse than Tito would.
Trinidad wasn't too hard to hit either, and while Trinidad had dynamite in his fists, Trinidad was chinny himself.

I like Williams in a couple of these fights.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I cannot see any way that this matchup does not end with Williams face down except at 160 maybe. I think people are giving Williams way too much credit for the little he has actually done. Has Williams even beaten a prime elite level fighter bar Margarito & a debatable win over Martinez? Trinidads career is littered with quality high calibre boxers at all weights.

At 147 I would expect it to be every bit as savage as the Martinez KO.
At 154 we would get the best fight but again I see stars for Williams.
At 160 Williams stands the best chance not because he is the better fighter but because he handles the weight better.

Also if Tito got into any trouble against Williams he would smash his ballsack through his colon.

Just my thoughts but some people give Williams waaaay too much credit for the little he has hactually done against top tier prime competition.
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
STEVENSKI Wrote:I cannot see any way that this matchup does not end with Williams face down except at 160 maybe. I think people are giving Williams way too much credit for the little he has actually done. Has Williams even beaten a prime elite level fighter bar Margarito & a debatable win over Martinez? Trinidads career is littered with quality high calibre boxers at all weights.

At 160 Williams stands the best chance not because he is the better fighter but because he handles the weight better.

Also if Tito got into any trouble against Williams he would smash his ballsack through his colon.

Just my thoughts but some people give Williams waaaay too much credit for the little he has hactually done against top tier prime competition.
All you're doing is making arguments on why Trinidad is above Williams in greatness, which isn't really the same as a mythical match up.
I think too much stock is put into a fighters 'reputation' when discussing mytical matchups. Williams doesn't come close career wise to him.
But lets face it, for the very small minority of guys that have exposed Williams, which have been a certain kind (slick southpaws). Williams has been an extremely awkward and successful fighter for the majority of other guys.
Williams doesn't impress me and I think he is too sloppy, but he is still extremely awkward for most guys.

Status/reputation of a fighter means nothing in mythical fights. Look how Williams looked against Wright and then how Trinidad did.
03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Fitz Wrote:
STEVENSKI Wrote:I cannot see any way that this matchup does not end with Williams face down except at 160 maybe. I think people are giving Williams way too much credit for the little he has actually done. Has Williams even beaten a prime elite level fighter bar Margarito & a debatable win over Martinez? Trinidads career is littered with quality high calibre boxers at all weights.

All you're doing is making arguments on why Trinidad is above Williams in greatness, which isn't really the same as a mythical match up.
I think too much stock is put into a fighters 'reputation' when discussing mytical matchups. Williams doesn't come close career wise to him.
But lets face it, for the very small minority of guys that have exposed Williams, which have been a certain kind (slick southpaws). Williams has been an extremely awkward and successful fighter for the majority of other guys.
Williams doesn't impress me and I think he is too sloppy, but he is still extremely awkward for most guys.

Status/reputation of a fighter means nothing in mythical fights. Look how Williams looked against Wright and then how Trinidad did.
I agree but looking at the style matchup I still think Tito would smash Williams. Styles make fights but Williams ain't this slick mover & shaker he always seemed to like to slug it out. If he slugged it out with Tito it would be bad news for Williams.

As for the Williams & Tito comparison against Wright it is like comparing Bowes win over Holyfield to Toneys. It would be entirely non relevantas we would be talking mythical prime vs mythical prime. Williams has not shown me anything that says he would win against Tito especially at 147-154. This is only my opinion though.
03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Tito beats him at any weight...Brutally too.

PW would choose to punch with him which is the only way he knows how to fight and that will be his demise.
03-17-2012, 08:03 AM
I think the notion that Trinidad was "chinny" is way overblown. I have never seen Tito sleeping or stumbling all around the ring, I have only seen him dropped, usually early in fights before he had his legs under him and was in the fight - shortly after he got up. The only time he got stopped was against Hopkins after 12 rounds of receiving an ass whooping, and even then, he was hurt but on his feet and ready to continue receiving that ass whopping until his Dad jumped in the ring.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone would pick Williams here at any weight. His inability to use that height advantage or avoid a left hand would be disastrous here.
03-17-2012, 08:20 AM
JD Wrote:His inability to use that height advantage or avoid a left hand would be disastrous here.
A funny kind of disasterous though. Thinking Tommy Hearns flopping about all over the ring kind of unintentional hilarity.

For the record I am a big Hearns fan but newborn giraffes have better legs when they are born than Tommy after a big punch.
03-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Yup, Tito beats him as bad as he beat Vargas (maybe worse) at any weight.

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I've 'liked' about half the posts in this thread. I think this would be a massacre.

Just a terrible style match-up for Williams, who fights small and loves to exchange. I don't think his work rate would have troubled Tito much - who like STEVENSKI said would have simply planted a hook into Paul's balls if he wanted a breather.

Trinidad was a killer at welter, and carried his power up with him. Plus he had a decent beard himself. I couldn't see Williams putting an accumulation on him the way Hopkins did, and Williams certainly doesn't hit as hard as Hop.

Trinidad by KO at each weight.
03-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Quick note: I see people bring up Williams bein a sucker for the left, but that's mainly straight or over hand lefts from southpaws..not left hooks from orthodox fighters!

Other than the devastating KO from the Middleweight champion (that shot would have taken most out anyways) Williams has shown the ability to eat punchers like his starving and still continue to overwhelm is opponents with his punchers. Williams's power is a lil underrated as it's a lil above average.

Trinidad has shown to be vulnerable and have seen many times in his career on shaky legs, not too mention dropped countless times. Against Williams, Tito being the slow starter he is will be faced with a fighter who fights at a frantic pace from the opening bell to the final bell. Williams will be a big threat to Tito early (mainly at 154-160) which will leave Tito open for knockdowns in the first couple of rounds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Different date: Winky Wright-Paul Williams ViperSniper 0 303 05-03-2020 06:00 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper
  Roberto Duran-Felix Tito Trinidad ViperSniper 6 2,968 10-26-2017 05:57 AM
Last Post: Warlord
  Miguel Cotto - Paul Williams: Who wins? ViperSniper 29 16,231 02-07-2016 06:42 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)