Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-14-2012, 06:50 AM
BigG Wrote:I'm just saying man, Ricky Hatton may have fought the two best (who really wouldnt fight them for those multimillion dollar paydays) and but besides the Tszyu win, he didn't do shit. like I said, after the Pacquiao, I would have liked to see him fight a few young contenders to strengthen his legacy. To have some sort of longevity.
I just love the way you are casually sweeping aside the fact that he fought the two best fighters in the world as if it means nothing to the argument.

And then when realizing he didn't have it continues to fight on losing to scrubs and talking gibberish like James Toney or Leon Spinks, hmmm sounds like a shrewd move.

I can't believe, knowing the amount of knowledge you have, that you are advocating a fighter fighting on once his heart is no longer in it. I recently had to watch David Tua plod around the ring losing to Monte Barrett just coz the poor fucker needed a payday and I tell you dude it was fucken soul destroying.

And we could both name literally hundreds of fighters who have been through the same. I actually have to commend guys when they realize they don't have it anymore and gracefully exit stage left without any half-assed comebacks. It's actually a really hard thing to do.

The dude also fought 3 fighters who were in the p4p top 3 at the time that he fought them. If that isn't enough for you then frankly nothing is.

I won't lie, I loved watching him getting served up by Floyd and Manny, got both those fights on tape and I watch them a lot. I don't have love for Hatton, but equally the arguments against him this thread have just been nonsense.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Bruh I'm just basically a fan of longevity. I don't think Ricky was a bad fighter at all. He was solid B level brawler. But after the Tszyu win it's like he got some wins, his best one being over Paulie, but it seems like he was never really in it to be long reigning mighty champ. Look at Tszyu, he unified and defended his belt against anyone that came his way. Look at BHOP, same thing. Joe Louis. Holmes. As much as I'm not a fan, Klitschko. LEnnox Lewis. Tyson. Rickardo Lopez. Calzaghe had a couple of good fights in his reign as WBO champion but he split too fast as well after the BHOP fight. Mayweather's been a champ since '98 and still going strong in 2012. You HAVE to give credit to that kind of dedication. Yeah sure, he may have not fought everyone. But he became Lineal champ in 3 divisions. Fought Mosley, De La Hoya at 154. Marquez, Genaro Hernandez, Corrales, Castillo etc. along the way. It's whatever, Ricky is nowhere near a hall of fame fighter.

As for who did he duck....I dont really know man....but again, I would have liked to see him stick around and fight some of these news fighters.

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
04-14-2012, 07:18 AM
BigG Wrote:Bruh I'm just basically a fan of longevity. I don't think Ricky was a bad fighter at all. He was solid B level brawler. But after the Tszyu win it's like he got some wins, his best one being over Paulie, but it seems like he was never really in it to be long reigning mighty champ. Look at Tszyu, he unified and defended his belt against anyone that came his way. Look at BHOP, same thing. Joe Louis. Holmes. As much as I'm not a fan, Klitschko. LEnnox Lewis. Tyson. Rickardo Lopez. Calzaghe had a couple of good fights in his reign as WBO champion but he split too fast as well after the BHOP fight. Mayweather's been a champ since '98 and still going strong in 2012. You HAVE to give credit to that kind of dedication. Yeah sure, he may have not fought everyone. But he became Lineal champ in 3 divisions. Fought Mosley, De La Hoya at 154. Marquez, Genaro Hernandez, Corrales, Castillo etc. along the way. It's whatever, Ricky is nowhere near a hall of fame fighter.

As for who did he duck....I dont really know man....but again, I would have liked to see him stick around and fight some of these news fighters.
I'm a fan of longevity as well. But every fighter has different peaks. Mike Tyson was essentially done by about the age of 24.

Vargas was done very early as well. Hatton the same.

Sure longevity adds to your legacy.

However G you started out with saying Hatton was protected and then changed it to having avoided young contenders and I asked you name them. The best and only name you could give me was Junior Witter (which you should be ashamed of, haha.)

So now, surprise surprise, it is his lack of longevity that bothers you.

Well fuck if Hatton was done at a young age then so be it. That is NO stain on his career.

I mean maybe you might have enjoyed seeing a guy, probably overweight, training compromised and heart not in it, getting beaten up but what does that prove?

Tyson tried to prove longevity (needed the money/heart clearly no longer in it) and ended getting beaten by Kevin McBride. So that's a better look for you yeah?

The last time Ricky fought he got fucken demolished. Once he woke up and took stock he decided that he didn't want to face that kind of potential punishment again. But more importantly he didn't have the emotional reservoirs to go to that dark place all fighters have to go to when preparing for a fight. I really don't see your point here.

I might add about the little Mayweather jabs you have inserted that the fucktard fights once in a blue moon and is not above taking and 1 and 2 year hiatuses from the sport.

And just for the cheap seats:

NO-ONE HERE IS TRYING TO HATTON IS AN ELITE HALL OF FAME TYPE FIGHTER. At some point I am just going to asume that you don't have ears.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
04-14-2012, 07:43 AM
No, but Tyson had 10 defenses his belt and basically fought anyone they put in front of him. And after he lost he came right back and the fought Razor Ruddock, one of the most dangerous contenders and beat him twice. Jail time, the rest is history.

If you think Hatton aint even close to hall of famer then thats it. But as for Hatton being protected, I dunno. I think he was kind of until he fought Mayweather/Pac. But I do agree that he was an extremely overhyped and overrated fighter.

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
04-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Edit: Lookin back tho I give Hatton credit for fighting Collazo. Collazo was a good young fighter.

İmageİmage

TEAM BLACK
04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Hatton wasn't an A level fighter. He fought guys who were on and around his level, before stepping up to face guys who were obviously above him.

He's got some weak names, some good names, some solid names and some hall of farmers on his resume. For his skill set, he fought good competition.

People are moaning about he fought 'bums' all his career until May and Pac.

He certainly fought some good, solid fighters on his way up to Floyd and Manny....but let's not forget, Hatton was never an amazing boxer anyway. He was limited. He had a great career considering. He fought often and crammed a lot into his career.

He had an amazing fan base, but the real boxing fans knew he stood no chance against the top dogs.

He didn't have one win that threw him into the lime light or into a super fight. He worked hard and steadily to get where he did and deserves credit.

I think he quit at the right time. Longevity doesn't come into it.
04-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Ollie, why is mentioning Witter a joke? At the time the dude had some solid wins on his record. I can understand why Hatton never fought him, especially after he won the title, he had bigger fish to fry, but it is a fight I would have liked to see. With Hatton's aggressive style and Witter's power and counter punching I think they would have created some fireworks. I think Witter was deserving of a title shot back in 05 and 06.

Shane Mosley is a weird situation. On the one hand he got a pass for using PED's yet he doesn't get a pass for his horrible performance against Mosley. It's as if some fans don't care if a guy uses something that will give him an unfair advantage, but give them a shitty fight and they will never forgive you.
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Ollie, why is mentioning Witter a joke? At the time the dude had some solid wins on his record. I
I didn't say Witter was a joke but equally the idea that Hatton was a protected fighter is a joke. I hardly think not fighting Witter tarnish's his legacy like some in this thread are trying to make you believe.

I would put Witter/Hatton not happening more in my 'curious to see' list rather than my 'why the fuck did they never fight?!' list if you get my drift.

04-14-2012, 09:13 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Mean Mister Mustard Wrote:Ollie, why is mentioning Witter a joke? At the time the dude had some solid wins on his record. I
I didn't say Witter was a joke but equally the idea that Hatton was a protected fighter is a joke. I hardly think not fighting Witter tarnish's his legacy like some in this thread are trying to make you believe.

I would put Witter/Hatton not happening more in my 'curious to see' list rather than my 'why the fuck did they never fight?!' list if you get my drift.
Ok, just wanted to be clear on your position, which I am in agreement with.
04-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Hatton never fought any hungry young lions? C'mon, G, what was Collazo and Urango? They would both fit in anyone's list of 'hungry young lions!'

Hatton fought a good mix of old champs (Malignaggi, Castillo), young contenders (Collazo, Urango), 'easy' touches (Maussa, Lazcano) and p4p greats (Tszyu, May and Pac).

Considering he wasn't ever himself more than a 'B' level fighter, that is pretty impressive and should not get him included in this thread. All of that is better than Tim Bradley's resume and nobody is knocking him.

Black

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,353 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)