Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
Tito Trinidad

For his losses to Hopkins and Wright, I thought he was given a pass for the manner he lost in. I have a few different reasons for this.

Beating up on a 'blown up' welterweight
This excuse has never cut it with me. I'm willing to admit, 160 was not his prime weight, but saying he was a blown up welterweight is bullshit as well. In his 2 fights leading up to those losses (Joppy and Mayorga), he looked pretty good who still had power. Good enough that he went into both fights with Hopkins and Wright as a pretty solid favourite.
Tito at 160 is no different to someone like DLH or Mosley at 154, not their best weight, but you never see people pull the 'blown' up lightweight excuses when guys like DLH and Mosley suffered losses at 154.

Not only that, size difference was never a factor in Trinidad's losses, it had no influence at all. Number 1, he couldn't land shit period, and they were not fighting a fight that was focused primarily on using size or being physical.

The manner he lost in
He lost in huge fashion in both those losses, and he looked completely lost with no plan. I think the Winky fight is the one that gets swept under the rug a little bit. I know it was at 160 and Trinidad wasn't in his prime, but he wasn't completely shitty either.
He literally did not win a round let alone about 10 seconds of that fight. It was one of the most one sided fights I have seen involving two world class fighters. I could not believe what I saw in that fight, a guy that gets hit with the same punch for the whole entire night, and literally not make any adjustment at any stage in that fight?
I don't care how shot you are (he was not shot though), I have seen 'done' fighters like Jones, Holyfield, Toney, Morales, Barrera in the ring when they have been out classed. But you will always see glimpses and there boxing brain kicking in and you can see what they are 'trying' to do and set up. But physically, there body will not allow them.
The thing about Trinidad, I saw nothing of that. I don't think a guy who gets rated as high as Trinidad should ever lose like that, and I am not talking about just losing 12 rounds in his losses, but showing nothing in them period.

I think his losses tend to get swept under the rug a little, and the blown up welter excuses are a cop out. I think Trinidad has got off pretty lightly and unscathed for those performances, and I thought they were terrible, yet spectacular for the winners.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-06-2012 07:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,383 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)