Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Snoop Wrote:I think the difference between criticizing a British fighter for not traveling abroad vs criticizing an American fighter for not traveling abroad is that the elite level athletes predominately compete in America, so they are still facing the best comp, whereas it's not so much the case in Britain.
This is a fair point Snoop and one I actually agree with. However as the sport starts to spread more globally will American fighters start to get heat if they don't travel abroad? It's not meant to be a trick question either, just one I am genuinely interested in.

However in also keeping within the thread, I think Ward was clearly the best fighter in the Super 6 and deserved the title but it was interesting to me that he has largely been given a pass when he didn't go overseas for a single fight. To the best of knowledge every guy had to travel overseas in that comp except Andre but he seemed to cop no heat over it.

As I've mentioned before had Calslappy been in that tournament and refused to fight abroad you can rest assured he would've taken a pummeling on many boards and forums for it (and rightly so).
Mmmm...I don't think it will be in the same sentiment as it is placed for British fighters, or fighters from any other place for that matter. If there is criticism for an American not fighting outside their borders, it will be for fear of giving up a homecourt advantage (much what Ward could be criticized for), but not fear of stepping up in competition or protecting their record (because again, for the most part the best competition is in the US, either from the US or compete in the US).

I'm not here to argue whether one country's fighters are better than another, just that the criticism doesn't hold equal across all countries because the level of boxing is different between nations.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Snoop - 04-11-2012 12:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,383 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)