Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
Gandalf The Black Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:Exactly. How many phenomenal boxers did Lennox face? He fought the cream of the crop!! Tyson, Evander, Mccall, Briggs, Mercer, Rahman, Tua, Klits!!! He travelled and fought people!!!! This is why he is held in such high regard in the boxing world!!!

Yes it's nice to pick safe opponents and make as much dough as you can. Eventually you will have to step up and face a challenge. Lewis did that throughout his career. Not in the end.
When you are the cream of the crop, you fight the cream of the crop....period. Lennox Lewis was the CREAM of the crop. Of course comparing him to other fighters that were not great will not stack up. Lewis is an ATG and one of the great heavyweights.

That's like me saying that Leonard fought the cream of the crop, but Cory Spinks didn't. How is that even fair or makes sense?

Lewis was also an Olympic medallist, that already is a head start and traditionally, olympic medalilsts will move through competition and build a fan base with their back ground history. Which is why you didn't see Lewis slowly try and build a career.
The point I was trying to make is that he fought contenders and sometimes had to leave his country to do so. Enough with the cream.
Go have a look at how many times Lewis fought in the UK and the quality of opposition he fought before winning a MAJOR world title.
Lewis stepped up in competition once he won a major world title, just like Hatton stepped up in compeititon when he won a world title. The difference between the two is that Lewis won a world title quicker than Hatton did, and also had a lot more longevity as well, which explains why his resume is longer than Hatton's.

Hatton fought Tszyu, who was arguably top 3-5 p4p at the time, he then fought Mayweather who was #1 p4p at the time, and then fought Pacquiao who was p4p #1 at the time.
Some fighters go a full career without ever facing the #1 fighter in the world. Hatton fought separate #1 fighters and the undisputed 140 champion, who was at least top 5 p4p at the time, I may have had him at #3 then.
I don't know how you can think he took an easy path.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-11-2012 10:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,383 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)