Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
BrotherCane Wrote:As expected, y'all came up with some really good ones! I have one but I kinda feel funny calling him out cause whether you love him or hate him, he did fight pretty much everyone but there are 3 he should have fought yet their names never came outta his mouth! I am speaking of DLH AKA FISHNETS! He should have rematched Tito, I'll never understand how he let that go! He should have also fought Wright and Forest but never did!
Trinidad didn't give DLH an immediate rematch, he decided to move up.

http://www.latinosportslegends.com/TrinidadReid.htm

Then off memory, the fight didn't happen because Tito was asking for 60/40 in his favour, lol. Then after some time, was willing to settle for 50/50, lol. He didn't deserve parity with DLH. Trinidad was a big draw, but wasn't big enough to demand higher than DLH.
It also didn't help that Trinidad took his ball and went home for a few years whenever he suffered a loss. Trinidad's legacy suffered because he lost some good years still, by being retired and coming out when ever he wanted some limelight and money.

I think watching a fighter conduct himself at the tail end of their career can tell a lot about fighters, Trinidad didn't give anybody that opportunity because he retired.

DLH fought A LOT of guys, when you're fighting that many guys, it's impossible to fight everyone. There is always guys that you do not face. When fighters fight 2 times a year or so, not everyone can get covered, and you do need a few softer fights inbetween when you're fighting top competition most of the time.
I think DLH can be given a pass for not fighting those guys, when you consider the guys he fought.

Everyone has guys they didn't fight.

Trinidad: Never fought Mosley or Forrest
Leonard: Never fought Pryor
Lewis: Never fought Ruiz
Tyson: Never fought Bowe or Foreman

They are just some brief examples. DLH doesn't have a history of taking easy fights. He was one of the guys that get the most praise in the modern times with the opposition he fought. He can be given a pass when he has had the list of opponents he has had.
I would agree with you had he literally not fought a whole bunch of guys, but he did fight a lot of guys, and there will always be fights for fighters that never happened IMO.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Fitz - 04-12-2012 06:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,383 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)