Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
04-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass
ROLLDEEP Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:
Gandalf The Black Wrote:I did look it up. Lewis' SECOND fight was in the U.S. Hatton had almost 30 fights before leaving the UK. He almost lost(did in my opinion) to Collazo in his American debut!!! He then manage to get dropped by Floyd and Pac. He rarely travelled outside the UK because he wasn't a very good fighter and was protected. You have an advantage over your opponent when they fight in your territory.
Just thought you might like to know that Hatton's 2nd fight was at Madison Square Garden, too. I'm pretty sure he fought in Atlantic City early on, and Germany, too.

And then I KNOW he fought a 12 rounder in the US, Detroit if I remember rightly, on a Showbox event, coming through a bad cut to take a Latin guy out in the 2nd.

That's just off the top of my head, so I don't know where you get 30 fights from?

Black
Ok. Great. If you want to give Hatton props for fighting a few time off his home turf in the earlier and latter part of his career...cool. If you want to give Hatton props for beating a 36 year old Kostya Tszyu...cool. If you want to give him props for fighting nobodies for a majority of his career except the last portion where he got pummeled by Collazo, Floyd and Pacquaio that's fine also.
http://www.youtube.com/v/sdvdFYVmjgM
Youre missing the point....it doesn't matter if he won, lost, got ko'ed in 5 seconds or whatever. We're not defending Hattons skills as he was a limited fighter who done the very best with his limited skill set.

We are however, challenging the notion he was protected and never fought anyone.

Snoop mentioned that boxers have to fight in America as thats where the money and names are.

Well guess what? For his weight, Hatton was probably most popular fighter at the time. So what did you want Hatton to do? Not build a fan base over here in the UK? Not polish his skills? Fly straight over to America, leave his British fans and turn his back on his country?

He had quite a balanced career I thought. A steady building up of a career and a fan base to which he travelled and tested his skills towards the end against the best. What else could he have done?

Again, I'm not bothered how he got on.....that a different topic and one we probably would all agree on. A B level fighter who failed to mix it with the best.

But fighting Tszyu, Floyd and Pac....the latter two away from home....and then saying he was protected? :surprise: What the...?
No, you're missing the point!!!!!! I SAID "PROTECTED FOR A MAJORITY OF HIS CAREER" not his ENTIRE CAREER!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, let's get something straight. I don't have an ounce of hatred towards Hatton as a person. I would be more than happy to have a pint with him and his parents who I came to like from the HBO 24/7 series. I have no animosity towards the UK. I actually went there once when I was young and the people were friendly and I was amazed at how clean the city was. So don't fence me in!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calling out fighters you thought got a pass - Gandalf The Black - 04-13-2012 04:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone ever thought about doubles boxing? Fitz 15 4,383 05-14-2020 07:59 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)