Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Vargas-Mayweather: Who wins?
06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Who wins?
If you take a young prime Vargas & stick him in with the current Mayweather, I think Vargas is very very live. He packed a serious punch at 154 in particular to the body & his lefy hook. That combined with his heart & tenacity sees Mayweather knowing he has been in a fight at worst. I could see him overwhelming Mayweather through sheer power & volume early.

It would be the biggest match in boxing with the way it would draw. Both fighters would be undefeated & the insults would fly. It would generate massive revenue through 24/7 converting to PPV buys especially in the black & Mexican communities. It would have the best build up to a fight in 24/7 history. Imagine PBF stuttering his way thorough that series lol .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Who wins?
There's no way Floyd would stand a chance against a pre-trinidad Vargas.
Mayweather does not have enough power to hold off Fernando at any point. There's just not enough pop there.
Vargas would be all over him every second of every round.
06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Who wins?
I don't really think it's fair to say that Vargas "rushed" into the Trinidad fight or that he wasn't "ready" for the Trinidad fight. Even though Vargas was only like 23 or whatever he had wins over Wright, Campas and Quartey which IMO is enough of a resume to warrant a fight with Trinidad at 154. Also Vargas was the more natural guy at 154 where Trinidad had been at 147 a year prior or so when he "beat" Oscar.

For those that say he wasn't "ready" for Trinidad, who do you think Vargas should have fought prior?

Vargas got caught early against Trinidad which changed the whole fight and his whole career. Vargas never recovered from that first round against Trinidad that night, or ever IMO. Those left hooks, taken cold to the chin did Vargas in permanently in my view. HOWEVER, despite a horrible first round against Trinidad, Vargas fought essentially on even terms for the remainder of the fight until his body submitted late.

Had Vargas NOT been caught in the first like he was, my take on that fight is that it goes the distance with a MD going to either guy. It would have been a close, competitive fight all the way to the finish. That said, I find it hard to say that Vargas was rushed or took that fight too soon being that it was very winnable for him on any other given night.
10-29-2015, 02:33 AM
RE: Who wins?
*Bump*

Thought this would be appropriate for the active Vargas thread going on atm..
10-29-2015, 06:51 AM
RE: Vargas-Mayweather: Who wins?
Critic nailed it. At 154, there is nothing Mayweather can do to keep a pre-Trinidad Vargas off him. Vargas had concussive power and relentless pressure. He couldn't maintain that style consistently after his chin got cracked, but assuming that never happens, he runs Mayweather ragged from pillar to post and grinds out a clear decision win, or maybe even late TKO.
10-29-2015, 07:56 AM
One thing to keep in mind fellas is that Mayweather would NEVER fight a prime, undefeated Vargas unless there was a BS catch weight stipulation like 152 pounds or something like he pulled for the Canelo fight. Floyd's smart enough to know that 100% Vargas in there with him, undefeated would be too formidable of an opponent.

AT 154 pounds though, I'd favor Vargas slightly to win.

The only thing that holds me back from a super confident Vargas win pick is looking at the Winky fight. It's been said above that Mayweather has nothing to keep Vargas off of him... well Wright is one of the lightest hitting dudes in our generation and he and Vargas fought a damn near even fight, some even felt Winky deserved the nod. Even though a prime Winky was certainly no slouch, I think Mayweather is a far better overall fighter and would use the ring to avoid a lot more rather than eat leather on his forearms all night.

Unfortunately due to timing, even if Vargas hadn't fought Trinidad we likely never see this fight. Mayweather wouldn't have entertained a fight above 147 until at least the time he fought DLH, so say 2007, which means Vargas would have been fighting another 7 years at 154 from the time he would have faced Trinidad. That's a long time for something to ruin the fight from happening like Vargas losing a couple of fights or moving up to 160. Definitely a fun fight to think about though!
10-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Floyd has a tendency to back straight up onto the ropes and relying on his defense. Winky would just cover up. I think it's a different fight due to that. I mean Floyd wasn't some washed up old dude against Maidana in the first fight or against Hatton, he put himself on the ropes constantly with both of them. It'd hurt him against a prime Vargas at 154.
11-05-2015, 06:20 AM
It would be a hell of a fight. I actually think this fight suits Floyd style-wise, Vargas is a little too slow and throws his punches a little too conventional to beat Floyd.

But a prime Vargas (the one who beat Wink and Quartey) would put the pressure on hard, land some good work and bust Floyd up some.
11-05-2015, 12:10 PM
(11-05-2015 06:20 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  But a prime Vargas (the one who beat Wink and Quartey) would put the pressure on hard, land some good work and bust Floyd up some.

Yeah, it would probably look a little bit like Floyd/Maidana I or the first half of Floyd/Cotto. Vargas is of course more conventional than Maidana, but in terms of letting power punches go, working Mayweather on the ropes and busting him up I think we'd see a good amount of that at 154.
11-05-2015, 02:14 PM
(10-29-2015 07:56 AM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  One thing to keep in mind fellas is that Mayweather would NEVER fight a prime, undefeated Vargas unless there was a BS catch weight stipulation like 152 pounds or something like he pulled for the Canelo fight. Floyd's smart enough to know that 100% Vargas in there with him, undefeated would be too formidable of an opponent.

AT 154 pounds though, I'd favor Vargas slightly to win.

The only thing that holds me back from a super confident Vargas win pick is looking at the Winky fight. It's been said above that Mayweather has nothing to keep Vargas off of him... well Wright is one of the lightest hitting dudes in our generation and he and Vargas fought a damn near even fight, some even felt Winky deserved the nod. Even though a prime Winky was certainly no slouch, I think Mayweather is a far better overall fighter and would use the ring to avoid a lot more rather than eat leather on his forearms all night.

Unfortunately due to timing, even if Vargas hadn't fought Trinidad we likely never see this fight. Mayweather wouldn't have entertained a fight above 147 until at least the time he fought DLH, so say 2007, which means Vargas would have been fighting another 7 years at 154 from the time he would have faced Trinidad. That's a long time for something to ruin the fight from happening like Vargas losing a couple of fights or moving up to 160. Definitely a fun fight to think about though!

With regards to Winky, though, he wasn't a big hitter...but he was a SOLID 154'er and very, very strong at the weight. Sometimes you can fight a guy who has zero power, but their strength wears you down and makes you reluctant to be so aggressive. That is why Winky, with his lack of power, was able to contain guys like Vargas and Mosley and Trinidad.

Mayweather has underrated strength at 147 but is not a strong dude at 154. He wouldn't be able to keep Vargas at bay like Winky did. What he would have to do is make Vargas miss and tire and then pick up the later rounds with his superior fitness. But that's a f'kin' hard way to win a fight against someone like Vargas.

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)