Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Adrien Broner Misses 140 Weight this Morning
07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't know if PED use is worse than not making weight. Cheating is cheating though, and it's not a serious argument or anything like that. Both things are shitty, and are unprofessional and dangerous. I just remember Vargas being on steroids, and getting laid out by DLH. Intentionally not making weight doesn't drain a fighter, and gives them a decisive weight advantage. That size advantage can play a big role in fights, and is extremely dangerous.

Also, yes, a fighter doesn't have to take the fight if the fighter comes in overweight. However, that payday is big for these guys and supports their families. If they don't fight, they may not get money.

Broner can go fuck himself, and I really hope somebody lays him flat. His attitude is terrible and I can't believe HBO just rides with this. This is not what we want to be the face of boxing, yet HBO just keeps shoving it down our throats.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Big Slim Wrote:
damarvelous1 Wrote:I think blowing off the weigh in is a severe bitch move just like asking for a catchweight... But the other fighter has the choice to say "go fuck yourself!" not really cheating if the other fighter agrees to it.
Yes he does, but then he also loses his payday, not to mention the money he's already put into his training camp. It's not like asking for a catchweight. That's during negotiations, when your opponent has options. The day before a fight? Your opponent is backed into a corner. By all accounts yesterday Escobedo wanted to tell Broner to go fuck himself, but dude's got a six-week old little girl at home and needed to get paid. I'm glad he got paid - handsomely it sounds like. But still, Broner was allowed to beat his ass with an unfair advantage. You saw Escobedo after the fight. Sure he agreed to it, but you saw how upset he was at not being given an honest chance to succeed.

It was shitty how Broner refused to acknowledge his actions with Max. All he would say was, 'I outgrew the weight'. The thing is, why not just make it a lightweight fight then and allow Escobedo to come in at 135 as well? Broner intentionally sought that unfair advantage at his opponent's expense. He was a dick about it. Yeah, he lost a little money through the fine, but that was a drop in the bucket for him in terms of what he stands to make with Al Haymon and HBO in his corner. Just not cool at all.
I couldn't agree with this more. If you think about it it is often the A-side of the promotion that pulls this shit. Where else was Escobedo gonna get that sort of payday?

He had a choice, but really he didn't have a choice.

I love how D-Marv has also added in little asides like "so is catchweight'" or "it's not worse than PED's" rather than just coming out and saying it's a really terrible piece of shit move Broner pulled.

What I most love about how this story is going to end is Broner is acting like Floyd Mayweather without having Mayweather's talent which means he will at some stage be the recipient of that beating many of us are already longing for.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Big Slim Wrote:
damarvelous1 Wrote:I think blowing off the weigh in is a severe bitch move just like asking for a catchweight... But the other fighter has the choice to say "go fuck yourself!" not really cheating if the other fighter agrees to it.
Yes he does, but then he also loses his payday, not to mention the money he's already put into his training camp. It's not like asking for a catchweight. That's during negotiations, when your opponent has options. The day before a fight? Your opponent is backed into a corner. By all accounts yesterday Escobedo wanted to tell Broner to go fuck himself, but dude's got a six-week old little girl at home and needed to get paid. I'm glad he got paid - handsomely it sounds like. But still, Broner was allowed to beat his ass with an unfair advantage. You saw Escobedo after the fight. Sure he agreed to it, but you saw how upset he was at not being given an honest chance to succeed.

It was shitty how Broner refused to acknowledge his actions with Max. All he would say was, 'I outgrew the weight'. The thing is, why not just make it a lightweight fight then and allow Escobedo to come in at 135 as well? Broner intentionally sought that unfair advantage at his opponent's expense. He was a dick about it. Yeah, he lost a little money through the fine, but that was a drop in the bucket for him in terms of what he stands to make with Al Haymon and HBO in his corner. Just not cool at all.
I couldn't agree with this more. If you think about it it is often the A-side of the promotion that pulls this shit. Where else was Escobedo gonna get that sort of payday?

He had a choice, but really he didn't have a choice.

I love how D-Marv has also added in little asides like "so is catchweight'" or "it's not worse than PED's" rather than just coming out and saying it's a really terrible piece of shit move Broner pulled.

What I most love about how this story is going to end is Broner is acting like Floyd Mayweather without having Mayweather's talent which means he will at some stage be the recipient of that beating many of us are already longing for.
Actually,
If you read my posts I said that it was absolutely a bitch move and Broner is a Bitch for pulling this shit!

What he did to his girl during the post fight interview was a also a bitch move (unless it was staged, lol)

Just don't agree with the notion of it being "cheating".
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Maxy Wrote:
damarvelous1 Wrote:Blowing off the weight is very unprofessional... But it's still not as bad as using PEDs.

It is. Absolutely. I mean shit, one fighter is busting his nuts to make the weight, the other don't give a fuck so he's chilled, relaxed and automatically at a major advantage. I don't see a difference at all other than one is blatantly flaunting his cheating, whilst the PED user hopes he doesn't get found out.

BrotherCane Wrote:^^^^both are cheating really!

Yeah, no two ways about it.
But I think that's what makes it a huge difference. Both are cheating, but one is trying to sneak it in, while the other is out there; the opponent at least knows the disadvantage. Not justifying it, just saying one is more devious than the other.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2012, 05:57 PM
damarvelous1 Wrote:Actually,
If you read my posts I said that it was absolutely a bitch move and Broner is a Bitch for pulling this shit!

What he did to his girl during the post fight interview was a also a bitch move (unless it was staged, lol)

Just don't agree with the notion of it being "cheating".
I did read your posts but I can't figure out why there is a need to mention PED's or CW's. They are arguments for another day and another thread. They have nothing to do with not coming in at the contracted weight.

This is discussing the BS he pulled coming in overweight. There is no need to compare it to anything else.

Broner is a Class-A fucktard and I'm gonna watching someone lay hands on him soon.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Snoop Wrote:But I think that's what makes it a huge difference. Both are cheating, but one is trying to sneak it in, while the other is out there; the opponent at least knows the disadvantage. Not justifying it, just saying one is more devious than the other.
I guess it comes down to what your definition is of cheating.

Based on what Broner was posting up on his Twitter account, eating junk food and the like, one gets the sense that this guy had no intention from the get-go of making weight. He didn't even bother to go through the facade of trying to lose the extra pounds.

When you come in so far over the limit that pretty much says to me that no real effort was made. In doing so he also didn't bother to inform either the WBO nor his opponent, which says to me that he also had every intention of turning up on fight night over weight and he knew that because of his opponents position and the money on offer Escobedo would basically be forced to take the fight.

When coming in over weight is so premeditated and knowing that the opponent will pretty much be forced to take the payday on offer you are, at least in my definition, cheating.

If Broner had honestly tried to lose the weight and maybe come up half a pound short then sure I think being labelled a cheat would be a bit extreme. But in this case when it was done so cynically I think the term has a legitimate place in the discussion.

07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Big Slim Wrote:

Good point. The "choice" is not really a choice. Nobody's pride and principles are worth that much, especially when you got a 6 month old needing to be fed. I still don't see it on the same level as PEDs, because the chance of Escobedo telling them to go fuck themselves could still conceivably happen, leaving both Broner and Escobedo unpaid, though one would clearly be more affected than the other.

The whole "I outgrew the weight" sounded like something his promotion team just told him to say if he was ever asked about the issue. I mean he said it like EVERYTIME he was asked that question. It was complete bullshit. They should have just fought at 135 where Escobedo normally fights and had a legit matchup.

Two conclusions:

1) Escobedo was a huge underdog and probably would have lost anyway, so it's good that he got a fatter paycheck.

2) Adrien Broner is a huge fucking douche.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Everyone knows Broner didn't try and make weight. I have not heard one person argue that he tried and just happened to miss the mark... by 3.5 pounds.

That said, he knowingly gave himself a significant advantage over his opponent. I think you'd be hard pressed to not incorporate that into the definition of cheating.
07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
Snoop Wrote:But I think that's what makes it a huge difference. Both are cheating, but one is trying to sneak it in, while the other is out there; the opponent at least knows the disadvantage. Not justifying it, just saying one is more devious than the other.
I guess it comes down to what your definition is of cheating.

Based on what Broner was posting up on his Twitter account, eating junk food and the like, one gets the sense that this guy had no intention from the get-go of making weight. He didn't even bother to go through the facade of trying to lose the extra pounds.

When you come in so far over the limit that pretty much says to me that no real effort was made. In doing so he also didn't bother to inform either the WBO nor his opponent, which says to me that he also had every intention of turning up on fight night over weight and he knew that because of his opponents position and the money on offer Escobedo would basically be forced to take the fight.

When coming in over weight is so premeditated and knowing that the opponent will pretty much be forced to take the payday on offer you are, at least in my definition, cheating.

If Broner had honestly tried to lose the weight and maybe come up half a pound short then sure I think being labelled a cheat would be a bit extreme. But in this case when it was done so cynically I think the term has a legitimate place in the discussion.
No I'm on board with calling it cheating. I think Broner had every intention of not coming in on weight and knowing the circumstances, made a bet that Escobedo would take the fight anyway. The only difference is that in a PED situation Escobedo wouldn't have known about the disadvantage where in this case he did. I guess you could argue which one is better mentally for the opponent.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Snoop Wrote:No I'm on board with calling it cheating. I think Broner had every intention of not coming in on weight and knowing the circumstances, made a bet that Escobedo would take the fight anyway. The only difference is that in a PED situation Escobedo wouldn't have known about the disadvantage where in this case he did. I guess you could argue which one is better mentally for the opponent.
By why do we even need to compare it to PED's?? Surely it is a discussion worthy on it's own merits. I don't get why comparisons even need to be introduced. I find comparisons odious most times anyways and usually lead the debate down a blind alley.

It's a bit like arguing if it is worse to murder a guy with an axe as opposed to a gun. Murdering people full stop is not good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adrien Broner Appreciation Thread JD 523 426,350 03-21-2023 04:45 AM
Last Post: lloyd mayflower
  Tank Davis Misses Weight JD 13 941 12-30-2019 01:34 AM
Last Post: JD
  Kovalev Misses Weight by .25 Pounds JD 6 425 11-01-2019 07:50 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)