Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cotto vs Trout Title Clash Set For December 1 at MSG
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
What wouldn't I do for 10 more Cottos in pro boxing?

This is why Cotto has such a following . . . he is just a balls out prizefighter. No bullshit.

This is a great fight! Cotto gives the kid a chance to become marketable. This used to be a given in boxing.

for you Here's to you Miguel Cotto. I salute you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 09:04 PM
SmartyBeardo Wrote:What wouldn't I do for 10 more Cottos in pro boxing?

This is why Cotto has such a following . . . he is just a balls out prizefighter. No bullshit.

This is a great fight! Cotto gives the kid a chance to become marketable. This used to be a given in boxing.

Well put Smarty. I think too much focus is on 2 marquee names to headline a fight. Fights often get dismissed if only one name is recognised.

Isn't that how Pacquiao got to where he is? because Barrera gave him a chance?
09-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Fitz Wrote:
SmartyBeardo Wrote:What wouldn't I do for 10 more Cottos in pro boxing?

Well put Smarty. I think too much focus is on 2 marquee names to headline a fight. Fights often get dismissed if only one name is recognised.

Isn't that how Pacquiao got to where he is? because Barrera gave him a chance?
The fact that Morales has given several younger fighters a good payday, exposure and experience is what has been great about his comeback.

Pac gave Ramming Speed a shot at the limelight, which can be pretty sour at first, but the exposure is priceless. What Tim does with it from now on is what matters.

Cotto v Trout is worth the trip.
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm a huge Cotto fan, and he has one of the most honourable careers amongst active boxers today, regardless on results. He fights anyone and everyone, he shows class in win or loss and never do I hear him make excuses for losses.
He just goes about his business and gets the job done, and more importantly he is a pleasure to watch (I'd think) to just about any boxing fan.
I agree, boxing could do with 10 more Cotto's.
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Thing is, why does every fight have to be a mega bucks PPV 50/50 fight?

It's shit like this that leaves fighters only fighting once or twice per year. I'd rather big name fighters take a few lower level tune ups on regular TV (even non-cable?), gain exposure, bring on the next level of guys and stay sharp. They only need one big fight a year, another two or three regular fights would be better for them, better for boxing. Jeez, in the old days how many ten rounders did the champs take to stay sharp? Or even run of the mill title defences whilst they waited on the mega fight?

Black
09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Thing is, why does every fight have to be a mega bucks PPV 50/50 fight?

It's shit like this that leaves fighters only fighting once or twice per year. I'd rather big name fighters take a few lower level tune ups on regular TV (even non-cable?), gain exposure, bring on the next level of guys and stay sharp. They only need one big fight a year, another two or three regular fights would be better for them, better for boxing. Jeez, in the old days how many ten rounders did the champs take to stay sharp? Or even run of the mill title defences whilst they waited on the mega fight?

Black
Agreed. I personally don't love Trout/Cotto as a fight, however as long as it is on a regular channel and not PPV then you can give it a pass. If they try to make it PPV then that is a whole other story.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Thing is, why does every fight have to be a mega bucks PPV 50/50 fight?

Black
I think once you get to that top level you get greedy. Greedy for money and unwilling to train at the top level for a TV fight against a tune up. I know if I were making $50M for a fight I'd probably be cool facing one top guy per year. Sucks for us as fans, but that's where the sport has gone unfortunately.
09-14-2012, 12:31 PM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:

Black
I think once you get to that top level you get greedy. Greedy for money and unwilling to train at the top level for a TV fight against a tune up. I know if I were making $50M for a fight I'd probably be cool facing one top guy per year. Sucks for us as fans, but that's where the sport has gone unfortunately.
Yup...too much money. If fighters were only getting a fraction of what they currently get, they'd be happy to take lesser fights in between to top the pot back up.

But then you look at mid-level earners, guys who are champs (or contenders) but not commanding massive purses...guys like, say, Yuriorkis Gamboa.

Why the fuck would they not want to fight four, five times a year and earn more? It's not like they're commanding millions and millions of dollars a fight, enough to sit back and say, 'fuck it, I don't feel like fighting this year unless a PPV fight comes up'.

If I was getting 50-100 grand a fight, I'd be like, "line 'em up, I'll fight every month"

Black
09-14-2012, 08:55 PM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:

Black
Yup...too much money. If fighters were only getting a fraction of what they currently get, they'd be happy to take lesser fights in between to top the pot back up.

But then you look at mid-level earners, guys who are champs (or contenders) but not commanding massive purses...guys like, say, Yuriorkis Gamboa.

Why the fuck would they not want to fight four, five times a year and earn more? It's not like they're commanding millions and millions of dollars a fight, enough to sit back and say, 'fuck it, I don't feel like fighting this year unless a PPV fight comes up'.

If I was getting 50-100 grand a fight, I'd be like, "line 'em up, I'll fight every month"

Black

You got it down man!!

Shit, if I was makin Mayweather kinda money I'd still be trying to fight as much as possible!! Even if it was tuneups you'd still be getting millions..so why not maximize your rep, career AND most importantly for most..maximize your earnings by keeping busy!? To fight once a season isn't asking for too much!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cotto-Trout on SHOWTIME SKULLSPLITTER 193 83,520 12-15-2012 07:48 PM
Last Post: and the NEW
  Cotto vs Trout and the NEW 58 36,713 12-03-2012 07:45 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Pacquiao-Cotto II. December 1st? ViperSniper 12 6,581 08-26-2012 03:05 AM
Last Post: torvix2000

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)