Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Mistakes inside the ring.
11-08-2012, 06:14 AM
BigG Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:Hopkins vs Taylor II and Calzaghe - Hopkins isn't an idiot, he knows why he lost the first Taylor fight and why the judges didn't like his style (not saying the judges were right). Not busy enough and needed to take more risks.
In the rematch with Taylor, off memory, he was even less active and took less risks than in the first fight.
Surely going into the Calzaghe fight, he should have known about Calzaghe's workrate. He should have taken more risks and been busier in the Calzaghe fight as well.
His losses have all been very similar, he isn't dumb but when the scorecards are announced, he acts surprised. He should have known better than this IMO.

That's one thing that has always annoyed me about Hopkins is how he reacts when he losses. He has this absolute stunned look on his face like he doesn't know what's happening. Like he can't wrap it around his head how he actually didn't win. Then will be the first to go on about how the sport doesn't want him around.

Everytime you see the same look & hear the same thing from him. He just had 36 minutes to convince, yet spends just as much energy convincing with his facial expressions & suggestions of corruption to his defeats.
I really thought Hopkins beat Calzaghe. I thought HBO was so pro Calzaghe especially with the compu box stats. Really HBO? 223 punches landed on BHOP that night.

The only fighter in recent years thats beaten Hopkins clearly was Dawson.
Yup...and he won both Taylor fights too. He acted "stunned" because both Taylor and Calzaghe landed for shit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 08:16 AM
BigG Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:Hopkins vs Taylor II and Calzaghe - Hopkins isn't an idiot, he knows why he lost the first Taylor fight and why the judges didn't like his style (not saying the judges were right). Not busy enough and needed to take more risks.
In the rematch with Taylor, off memory, he was even less active and took less risks than in the first fight.
Surely going into the Calzaghe fight, he should have known about Calzaghe's workrate. He should have taken more risks and been busier in the Calzaghe fight as well.
His losses have all been very similar, he isn't dumb but when the scorecards are announced, he acts surprised. He should have known better than this IMO.

That's one thing that has always annoyed me about Hopkins is how he reacts when he losses. He has this absolute stunned look on his face like he doesn't know what's happening. Like he can't wrap it around his head how he actually didn't win. Then will be the first to go on about how the sport doesn't want him around.

Everytime you see the same look & hear the same thing from him. He just had 36 minutes to convince, yet spends just as much energy convincing with his facial expressions & suggestions of corruption to his defeats.
I really thought Hopkins beat Calzaghe. I thought HBO was so pro Calzaghe especially with the compu box stats. Really HBO? 223 punches landed on BHOP that night.

I scored it 2 rounds for Calzaghe! I don't recall anyone landing as frequently on Hopkins than Joe. Calzaghe was the aggressor in the fight & his workrate seem to have Hopkins look uncomfortable. The Dawson fight I thought was more close..yet not ao much on the cards. Taylor edged Hopkins by a point in both fights which seem hard to tell the two apart they were so similar.
11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Winky pissed me off the last round of that Taylor fight. I want to believe he was tired and vulnerable and didn't want to take the chance of getting stopped. Like I said, thats just what I want to think.

Roy pulling straight back with his hands down vs. Tarver.
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Hamed for abandoning the style that was so successful for him and trying to fight Barrera like a normal fighter.
11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Ricky Hatton for going to floyd sr, and by extension, his gameplan for Pacquiao, although the writing was probably on the wall, Floyd sr just confused him
11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
boxingcritic Wrote:Hamed for abandoning the style that was so successful for him and trying to fight Barrera like a normal fighter.
Ditching Brendan Ingle was the biggest mistake Hamed ever made. Inside the ropes, Nigel Benn's belief that he could just go hell for leather against all and sundry, cost him his unbeaten record against Michael Watson when he basically punched himself out.
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
lloyd mayflower Wrote:Ricky Hatton for going to floyd sr, and by extension, his gameplan for Pacquiao, although the writing was probably on the wall, Floyd sr just confused him
As I remember that fight. Ricky did nothing Floyd Sr. wanted him to do. He basically tried to fight the typical Hatton mauling fight and ran in two right hands and a Left Hook that detached him from his senses.

11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
TheFonz Wrote:
lloyd mayflower Wrote:Ricky Hatton for going to floyd sr, and by extension, his gameplan for Pacquiao, although the writing was probably on the wall, Floyd sr just confused him
As I remember that fight. Ricky did nothing Floyd Sr. wanted him to do. He basically tried to fight the typical Hatton mauling fight and ran in two right hands and a Left Hook that detached him from his senses.
Maybe applies more as a career mistake than in ring!
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
DLH for giving up the jab that was puzzling Floyd Mayweather.

Had Oscar continued jabbing for the final four rounds, he might have sewn that fight up. Oscar has all the skills in the world, but has made some fucking weird mid-fight decisions that have cost him big time.

Black
11-08-2012, 06:35 PM
BigG Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:

That's not the point whether you felt he won the fight or not. The point is, he knows deep down inside what cost him the fight, he should have been aware of this moving forward.

By the way, all those Hopkins fights were close to 50/50 on opinion who won the fight.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)