Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

QUESTION: Has the Day of the Power Puncher Gone?
11-18-2012, 04:17 AM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Who's today's big puncher? Today's Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard, Roy Jones, Wilfredo Gomez? A guy that can end a fight with one shot?

Of course there are some knockout artists, guys like Randall Bailey, Seth Mitchell and Rafael Marquez...but they are on the second tier. The guys above were all top tier champions.

The only big hitter at top level I can think of now is...Nonito Donaire, and whilst a hard hitter, he's not a patch on the guys above in terms of knocking mu'fuckas out.

And the next batch of guys breaking through to be the new superstars (Andre Ward, Canelo Alvarez, Rigondeaux etc) are all fine boxers but not really KO hitters.

I'm just a little worried. I'd love a Tyson-esque power hitter to come through at ANY weight and liven things up for a bit.

Black
I wouldn't call either Ray Leonard or Roy Jones huge one shot power punchers. Each had good power, but neither was special in the power department.

The Klits KO records are pretty impressive, though they are a bit of a snooze.

Golovkin, Kirkland, Garcia (feather and the jr welter Garcia recently), Broner, Gamboa (although not so much lately), Uchiyama, Gonzalez (feather), Rios, Santa Cruz all appear to have very good power.

But power in combination with great boxing ability isn't exactly in excess right now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 07:32 AM
and the NEW Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Who's today's big puncher? Today's Tommy Hearns, Ray Leonard, Roy Jones, Wilfredo Gomez? A guy that can end a fight with one shot?

Of course there are some knockout artists, guys like Randall Bailey, Seth Mitchell and Rafael Marquez...but they are on the second tier. The guys above were all top tier champions.

The only big hitter at top level I can think of now is...Nonito Donaire, and whilst a hard hitter, he's not a patch on the guys above in terms of knocking mu'fuckas out.

And the next batch of guys breaking through to be the new superstars (Andre Ward, Canelo Alvarez, Rigondeaux etc) are all fine boxers but not really KO hitters.

I'm just a little worried. I'd love a Tyson-esque power hitter to come through at ANY weight and liven things up for a bit.

Black
I wouldn't call either Ray Leonard or Roy Jones huge one shot power punchers. Each had good power, but neither was special in the power department.

The Klits KO records are pretty impressive, though they are a bit of a snooze.

Golovkin, Kirkland, Garcia (feather and the jr welter Garcia recently), Broner, Gamboa (although not so much lately), Uchiyama, Gonzalez (feather), Rios, Santa Cruz all appear to have very good power.

But power in combination with great boxing ability isn't exactly in excess right now.
I think Leonard and Jones were vicious punchers, especially at welter and middle/super middle respectively.

Jones lost a little power/aggression up at light heavy, but he was a BEAST down at 168.

Same with Leonard at 147. That Dave 'Boy' Green KO was chilling.

Black
11-19-2012, 04:54 AM
I see what your saying, they both had very solid power, but I wouldn't call either a real knockout type puncher. I think they were just so many levels above other guys, that they could hit them clean at will a lot of the time. Ray Leonard inparticular had a lot of guys go the distance with him at 147. Roy from 168 and down did stop the vast majority of his opponents.
11-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Just re-watched a lot of Roy at 160 and 168. Your memory is better than mine Black, because he was a devestating puncher. I probably have the BHOP and Toney fights in my mind a lot when I think of him in those days. I still wouldn't call him one of those truly huge punchers, but he was definately a power puncher!
11-24-2012, 07:02 AM
lol Roy Jones still didn't put power on those shots. Not in his character. Speed was enough. If he so much put more effort he would be decapitating heads of his opponents. And breaking his hand.
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Look at Roy's rematch against Montell Griffin if you want to see how his power was when he actually went out looking to land a huge shot.

The only reason we didn't see more KOs like that one is because unfortunately Jones didn't go for it like that all too often.
11-24-2012, 07:48 PM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:Look at Roy's rematch against Montell Griffin if you want to see how his power was when he actually went out looking to land a huge shot.

The only reason we didn't see more KOs like that one is because unfortunately Jones didn't go for it like that all too often.
Look at his KO of Bryant Brannon, that was huge!

Or the way he took it to Merqui Sosa, stopping an iron chinned fighter.

Tony Thornton and Thomas Tate saw their share of a fighting Roy too.

I never remember how much he used to stand toe to toe in his older fights, many times with his back to the ropes just slugging it out, beating them up with speed and power. I always remember when his back was to the ropes him being pretty much useless and just covering up with the occassional little weak body shot or uppcut. Damn my memory of Roy was hazy, the guy really fought out some of those earlier contests.
11-24-2012, 08:47 PM
back in the day RJJ was like watching those old blaxploitation films where the main dude would knock out 20 cats while smoking a cigarette.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Body Puncher? TheTeddyBear 43 24,927 04-13-2018 06:13 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)