Poll: Who wins the rematch?
This poll is closed.
Alvarez by KO/TKO 75.00% 6 75.00%
Alvarez by decision 0% 0 0%
Kovalev by KO/TKO 12.50% 1 12.50%
Kovalev by decision 12.50% 1 12.50%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Alvarez-Kovalev II is set for Feb 2 in Texas!
01-30-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: Alvarez-Kovalev II is set for Feb 2 in Texas!
Kovalev was better suited as the quiet killer. Once he developed a personality it was downhill.

That said, I think he should be an underdog on Saturday...BUT, I wouldn’t go ruling him out here. In fact, I’m kinda leaning toward him.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2019, 04:59 PM
I didn't realize that Buddy McGirt was Kovalev's trainer for this fight. Evidently he claims he has not watched the first fight between the two, that he doesn't watch tape. Seems like either BS or a very poor strategy, IMO.
01-30-2019, 05:07 PM
(01-30-2019 04:59 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  I didn't realize that Buddy McGirt was Kovalev's trainer for this fight. Evidently he claims he has not watched the first fight between the two, that he doesn't watch tape. Seems like either BS or a very poor strategy, IMO.

It sounds unprofessional to the point that Kovalev should have a lawsuit against him if he loses.

I never believe anyone who says they don't watch tapes. Total bullshit and tedious to even read or hear.
01-31-2019, 02:12 PM
I've had a weird hunch that Kovalev is going to pull off a decision win.

I'd rather he didn't as I'd rather see the young guys take over the division, but I've got a feeling...

Black
01-31-2019, 05:07 PM
I'm slightly leaning toward Kovalev by decision as well. Lots of X-factors in this fight, though. The biggest for me is whether or not Kovalev is any worse for wear following the stoppage last time. If he isn't [physically] worse off, I wonder how he'll be mentally. I think we'll know pretty quickly, based mostly on his punch output. If it's similar to the first fight, no bubbles no troubles. If his output is down, it's only going to allow Alvarez to outwork him and put rounds away.

Really for me, all Kovalev has to do is fight the same fight he did the first time... pressure with big shots especially to the body before going upstairs. I don't think the chances of him getting caught with the same temple shot from the first fight is all too likely, so based on that I would expect the fight to go more rounds and possibly the distance. That being said, Kovalev won the majority of the rounds the first time and I expect him to win the majority of the rounds this time as well.
02-01-2019, 02:00 AM
(01-31-2019 05:07 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  I'm slightly leaning toward Kovalev by decision as well. Lots of X-factors in this fight, though. The biggest for me is whether or not Kovalev is any worse for wear following the stoppage last time. If he isn't [physically] worse off, I wonder how he'll be mentally. I think we'll know pretty quickly, based mostly on his punch output. If it's similar to the first fight, no bubbles no troubles. If his output is down, it's only going to allow Alvarez to outwork him and put rounds away.

Really for me, all Kovalev has to do is fight the same fight he did the first time... pressure with big shots especially to the body before going upstairs. I don't think the chances of him getting caught with the same temple shot from the first fight is all too likely, so based on that I would expect the fight to go more rounds and possibly the distance. That being said, Kovalev won the majority of the rounds the first time and I expect him to win the majority of the rounds this time as well.

I rewatched the first fight the other night for the first time & although I had the same scorecard from the first viewing, Kovalev held his own in sections more than I recalled.

Kovalev was competitive and agree there was a moment he hurt Alvarez but the Colombian masked it well as you put it, and carried on like it never happened.

Kovalev was also going to the body more than I recall & he did manage to change things up during the fight (round 4 in particular). Some fans in the past say so and so can only fight one way and so and so can't make adjustments..and seen Kov been mentioned as one of those fighters, which I disagree. He had fought a different fight against Ward in the rematch & did his best work after losing the first 3 rounds (on my card) against the Colombian!

However I disagree that Kov should fight the same fight & that comes down to how we saw the first fight differently. I had it 4-2 Alvarez. Alvarez was edging most the rounds by landing more and although I had only seen Alvarez against Pascal previously..he appeared to be fighting his fight more, whereas Kovalev wasn't fighting his fight (or having things his way).

After watching the rematch, I will not dismiss Kovalev to turn his career around and redeem himself. After all, he still has his power and despite getting flustered & burnt out by getting roughed up, it's not like he ever bitched out of mentally gave up either.

However, I feel Kovalev may not have a clear enough head to fight the fight he needs. His emotions may get the best of him here and expect Alvarez to get another win here.

Hopefully the winner can move on to face the fighter that essentially ended the career of Adonis Stevenson!!
02-01-2019, 04:41 PM
VS: "I will not dismiss Kovalev to turn his career around and redeem himself. After all, he still has his power and despite getting flustered & burnt out by getting roughed up, it's not like he ever bitched out of mentally gave up either."

I couldn't disagree more. If Alvarez KOs him again he's done. I def think he lost his mental edge. I felt like once he landed some of those shots and saw how EA kept coming, I think he mentally folded.

I suspect the same will happen. We'll see. I'll be there live!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2019, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2019 08:27 PM by ViperSniper.)
(02-01-2019 04:41 PM)JONdaCON Wrote:  VS: "I will not dismiss Kovalev to turn his career around and redeem himself. After all, he still has his power and despite getting flustered & burnt out by getting roughed up, it's not like he ever bitched out of mentally gave up either."

I couldn't disagree more. If Alvarez KOs him again he's done. I def think he lost his mental edge. I felt like once he landed some of those shots and saw how EA kept coming, I think he mentally folded.

I suspect the same will happen. We'll see. I'll be there live!

If Alvarez KOs him again, no doubt he will be done. Good chances are he already is done, he has most definitely peaked, no questions, as it's evident in his last 3 or so fights.

However, me not dismissing him is more in regards to Kov not entirely giving up in the fight, still getting up from those KD's. He could have easily have stayed down or not responded to the ref when he was asked if he wanted to continue. Many boxers would have stayed down or purposely not responded to the ref so the fight gets stopped.

That's what I was trying to get at with Kov not entirely bitching out or giving up. By saying that, Kov DID get flustered, discouraged & mentally fold when Alvarez was still standing and throwing back.

With all of the above, mixed in with Kovalev's big power, is why I won't completely dismiss him, I'm just not expecting him to over come this either! I feel this is Alvarez's fight to lose!

This fight may still be competitive at the beginning, but at some point both will start landing again & despite Kov's power, Alvarez's chin, stamina and mental edge will cause Kov the same issues.
02-01-2019, 07:52 PM
I’m taking Kovalev
02-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Kov is about to go to Prison for KOing some poor woman who turned down his advances. Hes probably cashing out. Lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)