Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

ALLTIME P4P
02-19-2019, 09:51 PM
RE: ALLTIME P4P
The only problem with Roy in comparison to other past prime resumes of top fighters is his went on so fucking long that a lot of fans below a certain age know as much or more of that shitty version.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2019, 10:55 PM
(02-15-2019 04:50 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I tend to only go for modern era fighters (active approx WWII onwards) as it is silly trying to rank a guy from 1917 based on numbers and newspaper articles alone.

So I've got:

1. Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Ray Leonard
4. Joe Louis
5. Robert Duran
6. Carlos Monzon
7. Floyd Mayweather
8. Archie Moore
9. Willie Pep
10. Marvin Hagler

Just after that I'd have the likes of Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Ike Williams, Eder Jofre, Evander Holyfield, Vicente Saldivar, Pernell Whitaker, Pascual Perez, Jose Napoles and Michael Spinks.

Black

God bless you for bothering to make a list to talk about.

That said, Is there anyone on that list other than Floyd who was so flagrant about ducking guys who posed a threat to him?
02-20-2019, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 11:32 AM by blackbelt2003.)
I guess Roy Jones and the Dariusz Michalczewski saga?

In the end, though, I think both of them beat enough top level names to offset the cautiousness in their careers.

Black
02-20-2019, 12:45 PM
I don't have a bias against Jr, I rate dudes pretty fairly. I might rank people with a different criteria but i give dudes credit they deserve.

Floyd Jr had long periods of inactivity and blatantly avoided fights. His body of work isn't significant enough to rate him that highly on a p4p list. If he took the best fights available and took a prime Pac fight I'd argue he'd be one of the top guys p4p. He really held himself back and sacrificed legacy for an easier career.

Floyd outright avoided prime Mosley and then Marg and Cotto at welterweight. He wanted no part of Pac and was forced to fight him by Showtime even after Pac was washed up. Those are four massive career defining fights. Take four career defining fights from any other fighter and ask if you rank them the same.
02-20-2019, 03:18 PM
(02-20-2019 11:32 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I guess Roy Jones and the Dariusz Michalczewski saga?

In the end, though, I think both of them beat enough top level names to offset the cautiousness in their careers.

Black

Does anyone think Roy really ducked Dariusz Michalczewski? The guy fought Toney, Hopkins, Ruiz at heavyweight, and past his prime he fought guys like Tarver, Calzaghe, and Trinidad, but he ducked Michalczewski?

It's always been a ridiculous claim. If the biggest knock against Roy Jones is that he didn't fight Dariusz Michalczewski, then I think that speaks volumes about why Roy is and should be considered among the all-time greats.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
02-20-2019, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 04:23 PM by blackbelt2003.)
Fair enough to both responses.

I personally think Roy would have had fun in there with Michalczewski, but looking back it was mad that Roy had a guy with a 45-0-0 record, holding a rival belt, easy to beat and he didnt face him.

Black
02-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Didn't Michalczewski refuse to go to America?

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
02-20-2019, 06:53 PM
To be fair to Roy, Darius held the WBO title. Before the Klits added legitimacy to that title, it was widely ridiculed by boxers and fans alike.

The WBA stripped him for even displaying their belt alongside it, and then he got stripped again by the IBF for refusing to fight his mandatory, despite a court order.

Roy’s experience of getting screwed in the olympics is a legitimate excuse for why he refused to fight Darius in Europe. Look at what happened to Holyfield, for example, against Valuev. A eurotrash fighter was going to hold that belt as long as he could survive to the final bell.

Roy consistently (and honestly) maintained he’d fight Darius if he came to America, which Darius should have. Roy had absolutely every right to refuse that fight.

It’s really amazing to me how much the WBO has cultivated their image and reputation in the last decade. They were absolutely scorned and ridiculed for most of their existence. Without the Klits, they’d still be slugging it out with the NABF for world’s shittiest title.

P.S. Bonues points for the first person to name the dead fighter the WBO moved up in their rankings twice... AFTER he died.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
02-21-2019, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 01:52 AM by JONdaCON.)
Didnt the WBA do that accidentally with Ali Raymi?

In my rankings I'd have to include:

Sugar Ray Robinson
Ali
Marciano
Joe Louis
Ray Leonard
Willie Pep
Henry Armstrong
Robert Duran
Roy Jones jr
Floyd Mayweather

I think Loma may end up being an ATG..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-21-2019, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 03:06 AM by ViperSniper.)
Watched this last year and was a verry interesting watch!
They have used Ring Magazine year rankings (from 1920's) to put together this list, so in terms or scoring system, it's pretty accurate, yet unfair to some fighters like Sugar Ray Leonard & Carlos Monzon who didn't even break into the top 100!!! Haha

Top 30 gets very interesting and number 1 may shock!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)