Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins, Mayweather or Mayorga?
Floyd Mayweather
Ricardo Mayorga
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Ricardo Mayorga-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight.
09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
RE: Ricardo Mayorga-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight.
father time is undefeated just wait he'll beat Floyd eventually right now he is busy with bhops stubborn ass

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2014, 03:12 PM
The absolute perfect style to beat Floyd is Vernon Forrest/Tommy Hearns.

Floyd was better than both guys but they would have easily stopped him. They would have stood centre ring, kept him on the outside with a long, hard jab, and chopped him down if he tried to go on the offensive.

De La Hoya managed it for some of the rounds but couldn't sustain it. Hearns would have taken him out in four or five, I'm sure.

Black
09-18-2014, 03:23 PM
I can't recall Floyd ever fighting a tall jabber. Too bad Corrales didn't have a killer jab.

Like you said, we saw DLH give Floyd problems with the jab and he wasn't nearly as long as Forrest or Hearns, nor did he possess the power of either at 147-154.
09-18-2014, 04:56 PM
How many tall jabbers are there in boxing now? I can only think of Wlad and Terrence Crawford. The knock on Hearns is that when he fought tall, he usually won. He just liked to go to war a little too much.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
09-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Just trying to imagine Floyd in the 80s is hard to see him undefeated. I think he'd have hit welterweight and would've been a contender. Leonard, Duran and Hearns would be too much for him
09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
If Floyd fought in the 1980s, he would've stayed at 130 and 135 longer. I see him beating Chavez and maybe even Whitaker, and moving up to 140 and maybe even 147 once the Fab Four had passed that weight class.

Hated on
The alpha is
For marching to a beat
Only his.
09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
I think Floyd probably beats Chavez...but not Whitaker.

Going back a bit earlier, any style Hearns wants to use gets Floyd out of there. Leonard would have beaten him too. Forget Hagler...Floyd beats an older Duran, but I don't see him beating the younger guy who handled DeJesus in the rematch at lightweight. Benitez is a fight I think would have been fascinating.

More contemporary...Floyd beats guys like McGirt, Honneyghan...a prime Curry would have been really interesting to see. Blocker would have made for an annoying fight for Floyd, same goes for Breland...not sure a prime Trinidad ever lands that lefthook on him, though a younger Oscar had the jab and speed to make it a tight one. Pre-Forrest Mosley who wasn't shell shocked would have been a tough call, Forrest beats Floyd all day...Quartey had that jab to really disrupt Mayweather.

Anyway...that's enough of a stream of consciousness.
09-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Deca, do you think Floyd could do that in the 80s? I think he'd have been matched harder. I've to agree with Duran, Floyd wouldn't have been anything special back then.
09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Prime Shane would have destroyed Floyd. The old Shane was one punch away from taking him out in that 2nd round...the Mosley who threw bombs at DLH for twelve rounds would have finished it there and then in the 2nd.

I also think that, stylistically, Don Curry was all wrong for Money.

Ironically, the best welter out of everyone mentioned, Ray Leonard, would have struggled with Floyd in my opinion, and would have had to rough house him to get a late stoppage/close decision.

Black
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 08:25 AM by and the NEW.)
(09-23-2014 06:15 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Prime Shane would have destroyed Floyd. The old Shane was one punch away from taking him out in that 2nd round...the Mosley who threw bombs at DLH for twelve rounds would have finished it there and then in the 2nd.

The Shane that went at DLH for 12 rounds didn't hit nearly as hard as the older Shane though (nor the one that fought DLH in the rematch). But I agree, his style was all wrong for Floyd. That overhand right would have landed and he had a long, fast jab. Plus he could work the body and his speed would be very very hard to time.

A prime Oscar would have been troubles for Floyd too, his jab was second to only probably Thomas Hearns at welter. And his combination punching was something else, not to mention he was a very very underrated boxer himself, having a great sense of distance and counter-punching, even though most looked at him like more of a puncher because of his lightweight days.

Trinidad vs Floyd would have been interesting. I think that sneaky, straight right of Tito would have caused Floyd more problems than the left hook. I have absolutely no idea how that fight turns out.

Forrest, I always thought he had an overrated jab. It was sloppy and came down after he threw it. Plus he hated the pressure. He had a style to really disrupt some fighters (perhaps Floyd included) but to lose to Mayorga was horrible and Quartey showed that despite them both being past their best, the pressure really was his archilles heal.

Quartey was a bit too one dimensional and not elite at any element of the game. Vargas showed how to beat him with pressure and Oscar (albeit barely) showed that you could outbox him. Even Oba Carr gave him all he could handle (although Carr was no slouch). I think Floyd finds a way to get the job done in that one.

One thing is for sure though, if Floyd was at welter in that era and took on those guys, he very likely would no longer be undefeated.

(09-17-2014 05:35 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Mayweather is not mentally weak, but he does go from being the 'alpha male' in the ring to a 'submissive complainer'. He is very happy to give up trying to be the tough guy as soon as a guy clocks him or roughs him up and instead turn boxer and mover and utterly avoid conflict.

Zab clocked Floyd, roughed him up but Floyd knew he had to walk Zab down to get the win. He complained, but he still moved forward and took the fight to Zab.

Mosley also clocked him good which got Floyd walking him down. And Corley really put him on queer street multiple times in their fight, and Floyd fired up and made him pay for it big time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ricardo Mayorga - How far could he have gone? ViperSniper 8 5,915 10-06-2014 04:21 PM
Last Post: Decagon
  Antonio Margarito-Floyd Mayweather @ Welterweight. ViperSniper 24 14,975 05-13-2014 03:48 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Mayorga @ 147. ViperSniper 0 1,968 04-24-2014 02:53 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)