Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011
11-22-2011, 09:41 PM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:C'mon, man, you're understating Ruiz' skill.

A steaming pile of dogshit doesn't beat Holyfield (the same Holy that pushed Lewis hard over two fights back at that time), Rahman, Oquendo and Golota.

He may not have been aesthetically pleasing, but he was a lot better than that, or else he wouldnt have remained in the top four or five of the division for virtually a decade.

Black

Well I certainly tend to give Ruiz as little credit as humanly possible, because aside from the fact that he was aesthetically distasteful he was also a cheater, and that Holyfield win was a prime example. Ruiz was KO'd by a body shot that somehow got ruled a low blow, then caught Holyfield, IMO, coming down from the adrenaline rush of rightfully believing the fight was over.

Without Don King promoting him and getting him in line for all those title shots, Ruiz was nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2011, 03:43 AM
STEVENSKI Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Guys have moved up before (and Steve gave some examples), but rarely on this size scale. Remember 50 years ago there wasn't much difference between a lt heavy and a heavyweight.
I give all due credit to Roy & actually rate Ruiz as a good contender. Hell I even like him unlike 99% of the population.

I just cannot rate that achievement as high as a 5' 7" 170lb Walker who was a bulked up welterweight who matched against the best 200lb heavyweights of his era. That was in addition to being undisputed 147 & 160lb champion & faced the cream of the 175lb division even beating Maxie Rosenbloom who is one of the greatest 175lb fighters to lace them up.

It's a good thing those fights didn't take place in the last decade then Tongue

Even if it's not as impressive..Roy's accomplishment can't be THAT far behind those accomplishments you mentioned can it? Beating Ruiz the way he did, under the circumstances he did is a very impressive win regardless!

So how do you rate Jones-Ruiz compared to the rest of big victories in the last 10 years?
11-23-2011, 04:12 AM
ViperSniper Wrote:It's a good thing those fights didn't take place in the last decade then Tongue

Even if it's not as impressive..Roy's accomplishment can't be THAT far behind those accomplishments you mentioned can it? Beating Ruiz the way he did, under the circumstances he did is a very impressive win regardless!

So how do you rate Jones-Ruiz compared to the rest of big victories in the last 10 years?
It is pretty far from the calibre of a guy like Walker as Walker consistantly took on much much bigger men win lose or draw. This is a guy who was 160lbs taking on guys who were 200lbs. Not a 195lb ripped up fighter taking on a 215lb fighter once with every angle in his favour from ring size to referee.

Jones vs Ruiz was a great win. Middle of the road on the list you provided. That is not a bad thing by any stretch it just does not stack up as highly as other fights in that era & certainly not overall.
11-23-2011, 09:14 AM
STEVENSKI Wrote:
ViperSniper Wrote:It's a good thing those fights didn't take place in the last decade then Tongue

It is pretty far from the calibre of a guy like Walker as Walker consistantly took on much much bigger men win lose or draw. This is a guy who was 160lbs taking on guys who were 200lbs. Not a 195lb ripped up fighter taking on a 215lb fighter once with every angle in his favour from ring size to referee.

Jones vs Ruiz was a great win. Middle of the road on the list you provided. That is not a bad thing by any stretch it just does not stack up as highly as other fights in that era & certainly not overall.
Haha, Steve is getting soft. You'll be watching Roy Jones highlight clips on youtube next and saying, "Actually, Roy was a great fighter. I'm warming to him."

Next you'll be buying a signed glove off of Ebay and declaring him the greatest of all time.

Black
11-24-2011, 03:21 AM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:Haha, Steve is getting soft. You'll be watching Roy Jones highlight clips on youtube next and saying, "Actually, Roy was a great fighter. I'm warming to him."

Next you'll be buying a signed glove off of Ebay and declaring him the greatest of all time.

Black
Nah not soft just taking those rose coloured hate glasses off. That said if I want to feel the hate I will just watch the Johnson fight as Roy takes a genuine beating in it lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,517 12-21-2011 01:03 PM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 4 4,170 12-19-2011 06:37 PM
Last Post: JONdaCON
  A Decade of Boxing: 2001-2011 ViperSniper 16 11,832 11-21-2011 01:08 PM
Last Post: EAlbian

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)