Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Kovalev vs Pascal
03-15-2015, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 02:48 PM by JONdaCON.)
RE: Kovalev vs Pascal
Haha.... they way you describe Meth is picturesque... hilarious. Im laughing my ass off just thinking about it... not working mitts, not shadowboxing, but rapping.. lol. Im sure when they cut bacc there was wide eyes and criccet sounds. I can only imagine the look on BHop or Lampleys Face.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2015, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 06:48 PM by and the NEW.)
(03-15-2015 12:00 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  Wish HBO would hype him up like they GGG! He's just a more complete fighter IMO.

For real? I see way more holes in Kovalev's style than GGG's. Particularly on defense, where I have never seen him roll with a shot!
Find all posts by this user
03-15-2015, 08:25 PM
(03-15-2015 06:47 PM)and the NEW Wrote:  For real? I see way more holes in Kovalev's style than GGG's. Particularly on defense, where I have never seen him roll with a shot!

GGG has been touched up too. Stevens and Ouma laid hands on him and neither of them are as good as Pascal. I think if GGG fought a fighter like Pascal, he'd get touched up even more. I think GGG takes a better punch however... I think Kovalev was buzzed a couple of times against Pascal.

I find Kovalev more exciting. GGG is far from boring but Kovalev has just showm me more to this point.
03-15-2015, 09:15 PM
He gets touched up, but he fights more in the pocket. He is more versatile. Kovalev needs to fight from the distance and when put under pressure, he is very poor, you can even see his body movements speed up and his punches become amateurish as he starts to panic.

I agree, I also find Kovalev more exciting and he can speak more english, rather than just say "my friend, this is box, Mexican box, I help him, he help me". But no doubt in my mind, Kovalev has way more flaws than GGG. I can picture Kovalev vs Stevenson looking like Naz vs Kelley!
03-15-2015, 09:34 PM
GGG is great a figuring out the righr distance to fight from... not only that but ive never seen GGG miss wide, winging punches like Kov was last night, really off balance... GGG also has the better chin imo, power in BOTH hands and invests in the body alot more. I think GGG has 2wice as much in his arsenal, if not more.
03-15-2015, 09:44 PM
(03-15-2015 09:34 PM)JONdaCON Wrote:  GGG is great a figuring out the righr distance to fight from... not only that but ive never seen GGG miss wide, winging punches like Kov was last night, really off balance... GGG also has the better chin imo, power in BOTH hands and invests in the body alot more. I think GGG has 2wice as much in his arsenal, if not more.

Exactly.

Kovalev couldn't figure out that right hand because Pascal was rolling it so much. He should have moved in and banged Pascal up inside, but instead he kept winging it from the outside and missing so often. It landed, but he wasted a lot of punches looking for it. Let alone how he reacts when he is put under pressure.

Kovalev has a longer range which helps against smaller fighters who don't pressure him, and he is athletic. But there are definitely holes to exploit against him and like you said, that includes his balance which looks off when he isn't in total control of the distance.
03-15-2015, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 10:19 PM by BrutalBodyShots.)
I don't know guys, I guess I'm in the minority here because I really didn't have a problem with the stoppage. At first, live, I thought it was a bit premature but after watching the replay back I didn't have a problem with it.

Pascal was essentially KO on his feet in the sequence just before Kovalev went to the canvas and not only wobbled backward into his corner, but then turned to his left and was in such bad shape that it looked like he was running down a 45 degree incline and couldn't stop. Kovalev literally pointed at him and laughed as Pascal uncontrollably without legs ran forward.

The shot that really hurt Pascal landed with 2:19 on the clock. Kovalev goes to the canvas and Pascal wobbles back into the ropes at 2:13. Stands there, seemingly ok then turns to his left and at 2:08 looks worse than ever as he's unable to control himself from running forward along the ropes. So, it was a full 11 seconds between the time the devastating shot landed and when Pascal actually showed the worst effects of it which is a long ass time and certainly proves that his central nervous system was in complete disarray.

When the fight resumed Pascal was completely done. His guard was half held high and Kovalev easily smashed a right hand over it, and Pascal then dropped the guard another several inches which only allowed Kovalev to crush another right into him. Pascal was standing sort of slightly hunched forward, completely not defending himself and did not look like he had any intention of throwing a punch. Couple that with the fact of him having legs about him 5 seconds earlier that I can only compare to a couple of fights being Judah's legs against Tszyu or Berbick against Tyson and I completely understand the stoppage.

The only possible scenario I see if the referee didn't stop the fight when he did was that Pascal's guard would have continued to sink and he would have continued to hunch/fall forward as another right hand or two landed on his jaw or left temple and he would have landed face first into the canvas, rendered completely retarded. Sure it may have been a more finite ending to the fight, but also unnecessary.

Pascal never got his legs back from the first huge right hand that got him all caught up in the ropes early in the fight at the end of round 3. And, that's a shame because even on 50% stiff legs as a result he was able to do some really nice work over the next few rounds.
03-15-2015, 11:12 PM
I think it was a good stoppage at the wrong time, if that nakes sense.. Pabon turned around and SAW Pascal fumbling around, he should initially walked him into a cirner, held him up against the ropes and waved it off then instead of asking "are you ok?"... who wouldnt say yes, albeit slurred.. if he didnt stop it as soon as he wobbled over then once he resumed he should've let Pascal hit the ground face first.

Hey, thats what they wanted anyways.. now there just gonna bitch and moan and call it a bad stoppage. The thing is typically, drunk ppl dont know how wasted they are... same thing here.
03-15-2015, 11:26 PM
(03-15-2015 08:25 PM)damarvelous1 Wrote:  GGG has been touched up too. Stevens and Ouma laid hands on him and neither of them are as good as Pascal. I think if GGG fought a fighter like Pascal, he'd get touched up even more. I think GGG takes a better punch however... I think Kovalev was buzzed a couple of times against Pascal.

I find Kovalev more exciting. GGG is far from boring but Kovalev has just showm me more to this point.

I think GGG is a little like Pac in that regard. Once he tastes a guy's power and feels comfortable enough with it I don't think he minds taking a shot in order to throw one himself. But that's the history of boxing. Dudes that are power puncher's don't have the slickest defense because as rule they don't need it. And dude's who don't have the most power are often better defensively because it is a big part of their game plan.

GGG has more variety to his attack than Kovalev, is better at cutting off the ring and is a more ruthless finisher. Kovalev is quicker I'd say but Triple G makes better and economical use of his power. Just a feeling but Kovalev doesn't strike as being as confident about his chin as Golovkin is of his.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Kovalev is fighting better opposition than Golovkin. let's see Golovkin beat a Hopkins level opponent or stop a Pascal level opponent. Ward said he'd fight Golovkin and Golovkin's people are saying he'll only move up for big names like Kessler or Froch. It's real convenient that the bigger names already got fucked up by Ward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kovalev Pascal III? Nay_Sayer 18 1,195 01-01-2020 10:52 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Kovalev-Pascal II set for Jan 30th. ViperSniper 86 40,324 02-08-2016 05:12 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Kovalev vs Pascal II Weigh-In boxingcritic 0 1,374 01-29-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: boxingcritic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)