Jermain Taylor
[Show Results]

Sergio Martinez-Jermain Taylor
10-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Method Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
torvix2000 Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:I've always been shocked by how over rated Taylor is/was just in terms of his skill. I always thought his technique was sloppy as hell and I was amazed that he got 2 decisions over Hopkins. I would take Martinez over him at 160 in their primes by decision or late stoppage.

It's not that people overrate Taylor. It's that Martinez is being overrated.
Take Martinez completely out of the equation and I think Taylor is over rated.

Looking at his technique it baffles my mind that he was ever even a champion, much less "the man" at one point.
Taylor's technique is hella better than Martinez's garbage ass shit.
Taylor tries to fight a conventional boxer technique and does it sloppy.

Martinez doesn't. He fights an unorthodox style that gives his opponents trouble. The same way a guy like Hamed fought very unconventional, but it was effective.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
In as far as I can remember, Taylor never stopped a top fighter.

I highly doubt Martinez would have been his first. I think making a prediction that Taylor stops Martinez is a bit of a stretch based on Taylor's inability to stop anyone of note at 160.
10-13-2012, 11:16 PM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
Method Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
torvix2000 Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:I've always been shocked by how over rated Taylor is/was just in terms of his skill. I always thought his technique was sloppy as hell and I was amazed that he got 2 decisions over Hopkins. I would take Martinez over him at 160 in their primes by decision or late stoppage.

Looking at his technique it baffles my mind that he was ever even a champion, much less "the man" at one point.

Martinez doesn't. He fights an unorthodox style that gives his opponents trouble. The same way a guy like Hamed fought very unconventional, but it was effective.
Taylor had one of the best jabs in the biz until Emanuel Steward fucked him up.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Taylor was an interesting case...he was most effective when he wasn't worried about technique.

When he had Pat Burns who basically just sent him in there and had him us his athleticism, he was much better than when he had Manny Steward having him think, setting traps and tightening up his skillset.
10-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Manny fucked him up. He did more damage to Taylor's career than any opponent that JT ever faced.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah.

Taylor isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so the moment Manny had him trying to think and fight, he basically just locked up in there.

Not every trainer works with every fighter.
10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Spyder Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
Method Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
torvix2000 Wrote:

Taylor had one of the best jabs in the biz until Emanuel Steward fucked him up.
I didn't have a problem with Taylor's jab so much as the ugly, telegraphed right hand that followed it.
10-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Taylor had a very solid jab..but does Martinez not have a goodmjab that finds the target as well??

Martinez is more skilled of the two & has backed it up more & better. Just cuz Martinez has bit had a win/performance since Williams (hard to do) or Pavlik but that's because he hasn't had the sane opp. Did he really look so bad or ordinary against Jr??? He won 34 minties or so out of the 36 minutes or the fight!
10-14-2012, 12:31 AM
I think Taylor. His a huge middle, whereas Martinez is not. Taylor also have the length and jab to take away Martinez best asset, his athletacism.
10-14-2012, 08:26 AM
and the NEW Wrote:I think Taylor. His a huge middle, whereas Martinez is not. Taylor also have the length and jab to take away Martinez best asset, his athletacism.
I don't think Taylor's size is all that important when considering this. One word, Ouma. Besides, Taylor relied more on athleticism in there; he wasn't like he was an inside fighter using his size to wear down his opponents.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Then & Now: Oscar De La Hoya-Sergio Martinez ViperSniper 4 562 08-23-2020 10:21 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Sergio Martinez comeback for serious TheTeddyBear 19 1,240 03-22-2020 12:17 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Sergio Martinez being Considered for Canelo JD 12 868 01-23-2020 07:31 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)