Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins?
Sergio Martinez
Jermain Taylor
[Show Results]

Sergio Martinez-Jermain Taylor
10-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Method Wrote:Ouma and Spinks both give Martinez fits. Martinez SUCKS. He has ZERO ZERO ZERO defense.

Martinez didnt come CLOSE to hurting Pavlik, despite having his nose busted up. Taylor has POP early in fights. Im confident Taylor stops Martinez in 5 or at WORST loses in the 11th or 12th. I just dont think Martinez has the pop to stop Taylor. Martinez ain't Abraham or Froch.
Judah handled Spinks at 147 and Ouma was a good contender and that was it. Ouma couldn't even beat the other 'test' in Roman Karmazin at 154.
It's pretty safe to say that Martinez handles Spinks and Ouma rather comfortably at 160. He has already handled much better and bigger guys than that already.
Spinks and Ouma are on par with Cintron.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 02:17 AM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
and the NEW Wrote:I think Taylor. His a huge middle, whereas Martinez is not. Taylor also have the length and jab to take away Martinez best asset, his athletacism.
I don't think Taylor's size is all that important when considering this. One word, Ouma. Besides, Taylor relied more on athleticism in there; he wasn't like he was an inside fighter using his size to wear down his opponents.
I say his size because Sergio picks apart guys with his athletacism. Against Taylor, he won't be able to do that, his too long, and exactly as you say, doesn't fight on the inside.
10-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Size doesn't matter. Taylor didn't make it matter against Spinks or Ouma, he won't make it matter against Martinez.
10-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Pavlik was there to be taken out & JT couldnt get him out of there. Then when he had a second chance could still not get Pavlik who stood infront out of there for both fights.

Martinez wouldnt be stopped here.
10-15-2012, 06:49 AM
and neither will Taylor.

But I'm done w this hypothetical bullshit.
10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
and the NEW Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
and the NEW Wrote:I think Taylor. His a huge middle, whereas Martinez is not. Taylor also have the length and jab to take away Martinez best asset, his athletacism.
I don't think Taylor's size is all that important when considering this. One word, Ouma. Besides, Taylor relied more on athleticism in there; he wasn't like he was an inside fighter using his size to wear down his opponents.
I say his size because Sergio picks apart guys with his athletacism. Against Taylor, he won't be able to do that, his too long, and exactly as you say, doesn't fight on the inside.
And you can't size Taylor is too long when Martinez was in there with Williams.
10-15-2012, 01:31 PM
gravytrain Wrote:
blackbelt2003 Wrote:The most underrated middleweight of the decade (Taylor) vs the most overrated (Martinez).

Say what you will about Taylor, but he fought Hopkins tooth and nail for 24 rounds. Even if you think Hops deserved the decisions (I though Bernard won the 2nd fight), to be competitive with the best middleweight since Hagler is impressive. And then he drew with Wright, who at the time was p4p.

So that's 36 competitive rounds with elite p4p performers, results which are somewhat overshadowed by his weaker performances that followed.

Compare that with Martinez, who so far has managed ONE p4p type performance (vs another overrated guy in Pavlik), plus a one-punch highlight reel KO, a flawed but entertaining win over a unanimously panned champion, and several low key, low level, stay busy type fights with Barker and Macklin.

Hardly any comparison there, yet people are ready to write Taylor off? So Taylor goes 36 close rounds with Hops and Wright but can't manage to be competitive with Martinez?

Sheeesh.

Black
Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass and Hopkins schooled Pavlik. styles make fights. i think Martinez is awkward enough to avoid a lot of Taylor's shots and Taylor would be open enough for the left hand for it to be a big problem for him.
And it's the 'styles make fights' thing that makes me think this wouldn't be a walkover for Martinez.

Taylor's style (long range jabber with a straight right hand) is all wrong for Martinez. Pavlik is tall and has an OK jab, but doesn't carry the athleticism prime Taylor had.

You saw the problems Martinez had with Darren Barker...times that by ten.

I'm not saying Taylor would win (ready my original post, I thought it would be a close decision either way)...I'm just saying Martinez wouldn't automatically blow Taylor away just because Taylor struggled later in his reign. Prime Taylor was a fucking good fighter.

Also, he didn't really struggle with Ouma as much as some have suggested. He won fairly easily on points...it was only a struggle based on the fact that Taylor was supposed to blow him away. Taylor still won very handily...and Ouma at the time was a damned good fighter coming off a win over Marco Antonio Rubio.

Let's not underrate Taylor based on how shit he was after his title reign.

Black
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
SKULLSPLITTER Wrote:The Taylor of the Hopkins' fights beats the Martinez of the Williams and Pavlik fights....probably stops him.
Knight Rider sig GIF, for the win.

Awesome choice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Method Wrote:Pavlik didnt "kick Taylor's ass".

That was a war.
yea, it's the gulf war
10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
and the NEW Wrote:
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:
And you can't size Taylor is too long when Martinez was in there with Williams.

lol Even with his looping wide shots, the Taylor who fought Hopkins never exposed his chin like Williams'.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Then & Now: Oscar De La Hoya-Sergio Martinez ViperSniper 4 568 08-23-2020 10:21 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Sergio Martinez comeback for serious TheTeddyBear 19 1,251 03-22-2020 12:17 PM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Sergio Martinez being Considered for Canelo JD 12 873 01-23-2020 07:31 PM
Last Post: TheTeddyBear

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)