Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Kovalev vs Pascal
03-19-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: Kovalev vs Pascal
(03-19-2015 06:42 PM)gravytrain Wrote:  Great fighters get out of their comfort zone to be great.

Hence Andre Ward will never be great. I know it's off topic but I couldn't resist.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2015, 06:59 PM
he's a diva. He's a good fighter but where he's at is a lot lower than where he thinks he's, he'll never do a big ppv or be a huge name in the sport. That's going to hold him back just like it already has been
03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
(03-19-2015 06:59 PM)gravytrain Wrote:  he's a diva. He's a good fighter but where he's at is a lot lower than where he thinks he's, he'll never do a big ppv or be a huge name in the sport. That's going to hold him back just like it already has been

I believe it will only hold him back if he is not taking care of himself on the back end. If he decides to practice patience, discipline, and keeps himself sharp in the gym, he can keep rolling at this pace and eventually he wil get the money, accolades, etc.

I guess Im one of the the few w the belief that champions like Kovalev, Ward, don't need to cow-tow to anyone. Ward already whupped Froch's ass. If someone could make a solid argument for why Froch would/should be dictating things to Ward, I am ALL ears. Froch is delusional.

I am fine, in fact I ENCOURAGE both Ward and Kovalev to sit in their respective weight classes and just whip the dogshit out of whoever wants to come and get some. Dont let anyone dictate anything.
03-23-2015, 01:47 PM
With 24 kos in 27 fights Kovalev don't need to cow tow to ANYONE. People are always going to want to see him fight because he's exciting. He's aggressive and takes chances and has excellent power - and he's totally likable.

Ward is boring as fuck to watch and there's no pretense of him ever taking the kinds of risks needed for the ko if he can coast to a win. But he obviously doesn't need to cow tow to anyone UNLESS HE WANTS TO MAKE SOME MONEY.

Froch just filled Wembley Stadium fighting George fucking Groves! The idea that Ward, who can't even fill a high school gym, would get anything close to 40% for fighting Froch is silly. And the real truth is that Froch isn't bothering to dictate terms to Ward because Froch can make more money without him with less risk and he's already fought him. The only reason the Froch-Ward rematch ever comes up in the media is because Ward wants to make money off of Froch's name before he retires.
03-23-2015, 02:09 PM
I never saw Ward initiating discussions/calling Froch out.
03-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Boxing is business.

If Ward wants a piece of the big bucks Froch is earning in the UK, he needs to cow tow.

If he doesn't wanna fight Froch, then fine. He's the champ (or A champ at least), the only guys he has to fight are the guys the WBA tell him to fight. That's fine.

But he can't expect Froch-type money by doing that. He is the short end of any big fight business deal because he brings nothing to the table.

Black
03-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Ward has commented on the subject of Froch-Ward 2 at least a couple of times - once when Ward was commentating on HBO (I believe at one of Froch's fights) and once in a print interview (I believe for FH). In both instances Ward was clear that he was happy to go to England but that the terms that had been discussed were unacceptable because he was champ.

My memory is terrible but I think both of these comments came in a relatively short period of time back around late 2013 to early 2014 - maybe there were serious talks for a fight back then.
03-23-2015, 04:00 PM
if Ward was doing that it wouldn't be a big deal. He's been trying to hold out to be a bigger name in the sport than he's going to be though. he's more Hopkins than DLH, he's got to embrace that or he'll be chasing opportunities that don't exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kovalev Pascal III? Nay_Sayer 18 1,120 01-01-2020 10:52 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Kovalev-Pascal II set for Jan 30th. ViperSniper 86 40,056 02-08-2016 05:12 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003
  Kovalev vs Pascal II Weigh-In boxingcritic 0 1,363 01-29-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: boxingcritic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)